1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[If Available] Herro or Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedroxred79, Dec 10, 2020.

?

Herro or Simmons?

1. Herro

189 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. Simmons

327 vote(s)
    64.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

If we could get five unprotected firsts and two unprotected pick swaps from BKN along with Levert/Dinwiddie/Allen to keep or flip later for more assets I like that a lot better than a Herro-centric Miami deal and probably a Simmons deal that doesn't also feature a decent amount of draft capital.

Not sure BKN is ponying that up right now though. If after the season or before the deadline KD looks like old KD and says get me Harden and I extend or I'm out after my deal is up next year, we could probably get a draft haul like that, though.

J.R. likes this.
  2. RocketsSZN

RocketsSZN Member

Herro’s floor is a 3/4th option on a championship contender, ceiling is probably the 2nd. Offensively he can score and shoot, but playmaking is meh. Simmons’ floor is a 2nd option on a team that’s been to the ECSF, and was a shot away from ECF. The offense in Philly isn’t even built around Simmons, it’s for Embiid. His floor is a DPOY candidate for years to come (finished 4th this year), a guy that’s 1st team All-Defense, All-NBA 3rd team, and a 2x All Star in his 3 seasons. I believe there is STILL untapped potential in Simmons, potential that Silas (a guy repeatedly cited by Luka as a guy who helped him take his offensive game to the next level) can unlock. Only one hole in his game, and yes, it’s a huge one, shooting. Upon reading numerous articles on Simmons and his shooting, it’s not that he isn’t a good shooter (although it might be because we don’t have enough evidence that he is), it’s the lack of confidence in the shot, something that can be worked on. If (it’s a big if) he can get that part of his game halfway decent, he can be a top 5 player in this league. Plus, the others that could be included in this deal (Milton, Thybulle, multiple picks) are arguably better (long term) than the Heat could offer (2025 pick, Iggy, Nunn, Robinson) all of which are entering free agency (If Joe Harris gets 75 mil, imagine the offers for Robinson).

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agree that we need Harden to stay.

Agree to disagree about Simmons, he really isnt worth fighting about.

For now.

4. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Yea, that's largely because Heat fans know Herro's value is way lower than that of Simmons.

D-rock likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

not sure? I mean that's not even a realistic package. This isn't fantasy basketball.

clutchdabear likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

ding ding ding ding. And we have losers on here putting simmons in the lebron/giannis tier. gtfoh with that bs. he isn't even close to that realm and closer to the derozan fringe all star tier

clutchdabear likes this.
  7. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

So u willing to trade a MVP player for a guy that has potential?? dude Herro is a role player as of right now we all know this,Plus Ben is the better player as of now because of he playmaking skill, his size, athleticism, and of course his defense..The only argument you have with Tyler is he’s younger, and he can shoot that’s pretty much it, I said a couple days ago Ben fit this team more than Herro because he make his teammates better I don’t know that about Tyler. U complaining about Harden not having great shooting around him since he been here but can I ask you this when have Harden rely on teammates I’ll wait.. u cannot sit here and tell me Daryl haven’t built decent teams around him to win it all but Harden relayed on Hero ball instead of winning by playing team ball..To me my guy much respect to you but I think Tyler Herro is a water down version of James Harden and this team don’t need a player like that, The Rockets need team players and Ben fit right in bro

#707 Roxfan4lyfe, Dec 13, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  8. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

Agree

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Simmons wasn’t the 2nd option on that Sixers team that was a shot away from the ECF. He was the clear 3rd best player and 3rd option. 2nd options don’t average just 9.7 shots a game in 35 minutes for a playoff run. They put Jimmy as the main playmaker and put Simmons in the dunkers spot because of his postseason limitations. He averaged a measly 12, 7, and 5 in that Toronto series and took 5 shots in 42 minutes in that game 7. He was pretty much nonexistent for the series.

U could say he was the 2nd option for that Sixers team that got dusted by Boston in 5 in 2018 where he averaged 14, 8, and 6 that series, but how impressive is that really?

people are quick on here to call Simmons a foundational piece or someone u build around...Stone would need to acquire a couple of 20+ ppg scorers and have shooters around him at all times at the bare minimum

Idc how great his defense was, if our star was averaging 14, 8, and 6 for a playoff series or 12, 7, and 5...or if he took 5 shots in a game 7 while playing 42 minutes...we’d be killing him on here

it’s not just complete lack of confidence, he is also in fact just not a good shooter...he can barely shoot 60% from the free throw line

clutchdabear and YOLO like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

people keep giving him major caveats...”if he develops a jumper, he’s basically Lebron level”

the chances of Simmons having a respectable jumper or even a jumper on Westbrook’s level are extremely low

clutchdabear and YOLO like this.
  12. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

That's essentially what OKC got for PG13 and I was kind of humoring you. So basically you want the PG13 package but don't think it's realistic? What was the point of your post then? Or are you hung up on the fifth first rounder which we could probably get by re-routing either Levert or Allen (though protected) or if it was an offseason trade it could be post-draft with BKN picking who we want with their pick?

13. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Simmons is absolutely better than Herro, but am I crazy for not hating the potential package Miami could offer? That doesn't seem to be being discussed much. I think they'd have to include Iggy for salary purposes who I think would look good on this team as extra depth, and Duncan Robinson would be a great shooter. Maybe can wrangle Nunn out of them to solve the back-up PG problem? I know the obvious logic says get the biggest superstar you can, but part of me is interested in building a team with a ton of depth and players that all work well with each other.

I don't think we'd get anything else in a Simmons trade besides picks.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

the highlight of the pg13 package was a young player with very good upside, sga first and then the picks but obviously you didn't get that part. oh and unloading pg13 max contract that he literally just signed. get it now?

clutchdabear likes this.
  15. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

No one would trade even close to that amount of draft capital for SGA so I think the collective draft considerations were much more important than just picking up SGA.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

nope. again it's only for people that don't keep up with anything outside the rockets that don't remotely get what player around the league are

17. swedish-olajuwon

Some of you guys are idiots, seriously.
    Even discussing a trade where Herro is the main guy for freaking Harden is a joke. Sure, Herro is young but he has not showcased anywhere close to the level to be the major piece in a Harden-trade.

My little brother is basically crying due to the fact that Harden is a goner, but I am shaking my head reading some of these awful trade conversations.

18. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Cool

19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

The good news is that they're likely multiple teams interested in Harden and whoever wins the James Sweepstakes will be the favorites in the East or a strong contender in the West.

If James stays we win, because I think this team has some great talent to fit around and support James. If he goes, we look like we're positioned for a potential bidding war between at least 2-3 teams, maybe more.

My hope is that James and PJ start practicing, and get a good feeling about Silas and this team's potential.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member