1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[If Available] Herro or Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedroxred79, Dec 10, 2020.

?

Herro or Simmons?

1. Herro

189 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. Simmons

327 vote(s)
    64.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nook

Nook Member

Where and how are you moving Wall though?

Just to be clear, I am not saying you are wrong..... I don't have a strong opinion.... it is clear to me that from a physical stand point Simmons is vastly better than Herro.... but I am not so sure from an actual winning perspective as Simmons' inability to shoot is a MASSIVE red flag in the playoffs.

2. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

His shooting form is way too inconsistent.

3. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Harden + Tucker and some jelly beans for Herro and Bam, in a heartbeat

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Herro would be a great fit next to John Wall so I wouldn't be livid if they got him plus a very large picks package, but the answer is definitely Simmons.

Richie_Rich, Deuce, dje243 and 12 others like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

If we're prioritizing the future in the long run, Herro easily for me. Hes going to the much better player sooner rather than later. Absolute star in the making and perfect for the modern era of the NBA.

If you mainly care about right now, then simmons is probably the choice but that will only last 2-3 years maybe. By then herro is probably the better overall player at some point in that time span.

Herro is a much higher ceiling rebuilding project who is already super talented compared to simmons who is pretty much capped at what he is.

#45 YOLO, Dec 10, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    clutchdabear and Lloyd Estacio like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Simmons? (even if he can’t shoot, is a Klutch client and might force his own trade out within 3 years. ;))

7. psaman17

psaman17 Member

When you trade a James Harden you dont try to win. Its time to rebuild and if Ben Simmons is the best piece you can get in return, you take him.

D-rock likes this.
  8. PatBev

PatBev Member

Herro just because I’m white lol

I’d take Simmons too. If harden really wants to leave let him. Love him, but I’m ready for something new. Wall, Simmons, Woods, & Cousins is unpredictable and exciting to me

I’d take either. Id expect a lot more first rounders to come with herro though

clutchdabear likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

exactly what @Nook referred to in the other thread. I agree

Nook likes this.
  10. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Of course it’s not herro for harden. It’s herro++++ for harden. That’s better than Simmons +++ considering what the heat have. But they won’t break up that team for harden.

Easy and bleedroxred79 like this.
  11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I love Herro's game, but I have to go Simmons. Even though, his shot is suspect, he's still an above average All-Star and optimal playmaker with great defense. We gain more from Simmons for Harden.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well, i said i know it wouldn't be easy, but if Wall plays a decent couple of months, maybe one of those teams in need of a pg would take a flyer on him, and tbh, if the right situation comes along (a max player that fits with Simmons wants to sign or get traded here) i wouldn't mind dumping Wall with a pick to make it happen.

As for Simmons yeah, i guess we would have to surround him with shooters, which is another reason why i think Wall would've to go eventually, but at least we have already a big who can shoot and play defense, which is probably the most difficult piece to find in building that kind of roster.

13. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I would be ecstatic if we somehow got Simmons. You have a great starting point with a rebuild with Simmons and Wood, get some shooters around them, draft high and let them grow.

D-rock likes this.
  14. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

Simmons. I’m sure he can get as good as LBJ. He isn’t a great shooter but other things make him great. Just saying the “best” in the world isn’t that great and has never been a great shooter.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Does the fact that Simmons eats up 30 million in cap space really figure in?

I am going back and forth on that point..... that is a lot of money

16. xaos

xaos Member

I'd easily take Simmons, but if I were to convince myself about Herro (+ other)... he is 20 and you could literally start from scratch. With Herro we'd be a lotto team. Herro would get invaluable experience having a greater role to develop. He also has some of that "it" factor (not as a true superstar or anything, just seems like he could be a big performer when it counts). Meanwhile, we could become a lotto team and draft potentially the true #1 option in a pretty nice 22 and/or 23 draft. The most difficult thing in that scenario is we gave up so many of our picks in the Westbrook trade, so we'd have to really knock our picks out the park in 22 and 23. We'd also have to try to net as many young players + picks from our existing roster and no one on our team could net us a lotto pick except maybe Wood, which I'd prefer to keep him.

17. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I am in the minority (again) but I prefer Herro. People here forget he’s only 20 years old and already putting up solid numbers. You look at guys like CJ McCallum and even Klay, they didn’t put up those at Herro’s age. Herro is going to be special. Simmons on the other hand is 4 years older. He will never develop a solid jump shot and needs the ball in his hand a lot to be effective, it is going to be very difficult to put pieces around him and I don’t believe he can be the best player on a championship team.

18. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

If Herro or Simmons are not on the table for trade, neither team is negotiating in good faith.

Richie_Rich and D-rock like this.
  19. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Ben Simmons is already all NBA defensive first team, multiple time allstars, top 20 player in the NBA at the age of 24.
    Herro averaged 13 points in the NBA as a shooter. He had a decent showing in the playoffs. Thats his resume.

To even compare the two at the moment is laughable. If Herro's ceiling is Klay Thompson, thats not even as good as current Ben Simmons.

Richie_Rich, D-rock and xaos like this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah he's an nba all star. that's great. people think simmons is the next lebron. that isn't happening. I've long posted about Simmons since his LSU days. He doesn't have it in him to be a great. Good player sure. Doesn't have another gear after that though. The rockets aren't winning with him. I'll pass on that and prefer someone like Herro who at this point has a extremely high ceiling. Herro is much more skilled that Klay Thompson. That's not his ceiling. He can easily surpass him and probably will. I'd rather build around him, a guy who fits everything the modern era of the NBA entails over someone who is pretty much capped

oh and if anyone just thinks herro just played well in the bubble, you weren't paying attention the whole year. It's mostly because of the bubble and with nothing else going on, people got a chance to see him. But anyone who has kept up with guys outside of rockets basketball would know he was playing well all year

clutchdabear and Shark44 like this.