1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[If Available] Herro or Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedroxred79, Dec 10, 2020.

?

Herro or Simmons?

1. Herro

189 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. Simmons

327 vote(s)
    64.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lowe: Tyler Herro Is More Valuable Single Trade Piece Than Anything Nets Can Offer

The Miami Heat emerged as a potential trade partner with the Houston Rockets for James Harden and they may be able to make a better offer than the Brooklyn Nets due to the value of Tyler Herro. The Heat, however, would be unable to beat an offer from the Philadelphia 76ers if they ever decide to make Ben Simmons available.

"Here's the bottom line," said Zach Lowe on his podcast. "I'm not sure any substantive talks have happened with any teams at this point. Let's just make that clear.

"I do think Tyler Herro as a single trade piece trumps anything the Nets can offer. Now, whether it trumps the Nets throwing every pick and every swap and doing the same thing they did for the Celtics except a better player in his prime, that's TBD. But Tyler Herro I think is a more valuable trade piece than Caris LeVert and anything else the Nets can offer. He's not more valuable than Ben Simmons. If and when that discussion happens, if that ever is a thing, I think the Heat are at a disadvantage in that sense."

2. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Westbrook's biggest weakness is not the lack of a jumpshot but the sheer lack of basketball IQ. Simmons is actually pateint and in control.

clutchdabear and JumpMan like this.
  3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This group needs another shooter. As much as I like Simmons potential, Herro wins out for now.

clutchdabear likes this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I know it won’t happen but Herro and Bam with this team (if healthy) would be a really nice squad.

coachbadlee likes this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Worse take than liking Morris over Leonard. Herro ceiling is top 40. Simmons top 5. You take the better player and worry about fit later. Wouldn’t be a contender right away regardless.

Herro has swagger but so did Monte Ellis. He’s too limited physically to be a superstar. His ceiling is allstar. Simmons ceiling is MVP.

6. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

not sure how people are already placing a ceiling on herro when he only just finished his age 19-20 rookie season. and being limited physically hasn't stopped steph curry. monta ellis had swagger yes, but he also had no 3 point shot, had a terrible attitude, and also had low iq.

i don't mind simmons too much other than the fact that he might bolt houston in a few years for LA (klutch client) and we'll end up in this same cycle/drama all over again. but the reality is, he's a much more difficult player to build around in terms of fit (ball dominant, no jumpshot). not saying it can't work, but you really need the ideal pieces around him... whereas even if herro ends up as a no.2 option, it's gonna allow a lot more flexibility in terms of team building (both fit and salary cap wise).

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Look up MCW or Tyreke Evans. Both better rookie campaigns. He’s fool’s gold. It’s clear. That whole Heat team is a fluke. We’ll be able to get Bam and Herro with 3 picks in a year. Harden to Philly or Harden extension. Anything else is a big fat L.

8. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

again, mcw and tyreke both had no 3 point shot... mcw for sure not, and reke had a passable jumper (with terrible mechanics). being a knockdown shooter with the ability to create/playmake is an unbelievable quality to have. devin booker seems like a better potential comp to me...

also no idea how u can say mcw and tyreke had better rookie seasons when both of them led their teams to a last place finish. i thought during this whole morey era, us rockets fans had a better idea on how to intepret stats? so did mcw and tyreke have better rookie seasons than kawhi when kawhi ended up going to the nba finals? did they have better rookie seasons than jayson tatum who showed some potential in the playoffs his rookie year? bc herro, as a rookie, showed up in the playoffs also and was a significant part of a team going to the finals

#448 clutchdabear, Dec 12, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    xtruroyaltyx and YOLO like this.
  9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

@clutchdabear i think Herro will be a great role player for a long time. If he’s an actual star remind me that I was wrong. I don’t see it. I’m not trading Harden for him. I can gauge stats fine. The bubble will never exist again. The Heat were a fluke. Butler was a complete weirdo and it rubbed off on his team and they had a fun run.

oloboloz likes this.
  10. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Herro's weakness and what I think will keep him from being a full on superstar is his handle. He's more of a do something quick when you get the ball kinda guy similar to EGo rather than a control the game kind of guy like Harden. High end versions would be like Michael Redd or young Ray Allen (the one who attacked the basket and wasn't just a shooter). Simmons is more of that all around superstar more than just a scorer. Still though if I had to choose one or the other in a Harden trade I'd take Herro just because I'd be more confident in him staying with the franchise long term. He still has to earn his stripes and if he grows with the team he might get attached. I can see Simmons demanding a trade as soon as this summer if he comes here.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

You obviously haven’t watched him enough if you think he has weak ball handling skills.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

As the days go by you read more and more of the dumbest takes on here. We just need to remember he’s 6’5 and white so he’s not going to be good

clutchdabear likes this.
  13. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

THIS IS TRUE!

14. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

for the record, i'd rather the rockets find a way to bring harden back in the fold and not trade him and make this whole thing work. and harden eventually retires as a rocket.

that said, i think a lot of u guys still haven't really tried to look at any of herro's gametape. he's not just a shooter. he has the ability to create and playmake for others. he's not some stationary unathletic white dude... the guy can legit ball.

15. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

He's functional. Can get to the basket without getting stripped like Gordon or Tatum or McCollum. But not hold on to the ball and dip in and out of the paint to playmake like Harden, Luka, LeBron, Simmons, Steph etc. Not saying he's not good but I feel like he's more of a complementary superstar than franchise centerpiece. If you can get a great 1A he'll be a great 1B for that guy one day.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I want no part of this

everyday eddie likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

No idea why some of y’all continue to act like a kid is a finished product

18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Quit trying to act like you know better than me. I know who he is. I’ve watched plenty of his game. He’s flashy. He has a ton of swagger. He will never be a plus defender. I don’t want to build around a T. rex who plays on one side of the ball. He’s good. He’s not the best piece in a Harden deal good.

rfrocket and DVauthrin like this.
  19. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Didn't you see the part where I said I'd take him over Simmons? The thing is though you can only judge players based on what they have and not what you hope they can add. Right now that's what he looks like, I can't comment on what he'll look like in the future cause I'm not Nostradamus. The thing is though, an elite handle is not something anyone suddenly develops. If he can get to Tatum's level that would be great. He's at a similar level to what Tatum was at that same stage. But I just don't see him ever becoming a top 5 player if he has both a non elite handle and non elite athleticism. He can reach kawhi level on offense sure but he doesn't have the tools to have the same defensive impact. To be honest though I don't think either of them will ever win MVP. Being stuck between Giannis and Luka then eventually Emoni Bates is tough.

20. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

lol why are u insinuating that i'm trying to say i know more than you? and isn't it ironic that u immediately respond by "acting like you know more than me"? just trying to get ppl on this board to open up a bit and look around... why is that so hard...?