1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[If Available] Herro or Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedroxred79, Dec 10, 2020.

?

Herro or Simmons?

1. Herro

189 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. Simmons

327 vote(s)
    64.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. psaman17

psaman17 Member

we all know Love's numbers are bull. Didnt he test a higher vertical than DWade at the combine? Jumping in a open gym is a uselss stat.

I look at functional athleticism on the court; explosiveness, the ability to jump and elevate in a crowd. Simmons has that. Not quite at the level of Giannis and Zion but probably top 5-8 in the nba.

2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

@J.R. there is no Miami trade.

Philly is the only team a trade will happen with before the deadline.

Miami for Bam and Herro next offeason.
    Denver for Murray, MPJ and Bol Bol next offseason.
    Boston for Tatum next offseason.

These are the type of packages it would take to beat Ben Simmons + Thybulle + picks.

If you can't get that kind of package, you keep holding until someone gets desperate or Harden finally wakes up and realizes that Houston is his best place to win.

Rudyc281 and oloboloz like this.
  3. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Thats all he's going to be doing in the NBa is shoot the ball. Good luck defending or finishing over defender with those Trex arms.

4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Its obviously the Heat organization leaking this stance in an effort to depress the market for Harden and create leverage in any negotiations. It probably wont be all that effective, but its an easy and free strategy to implement.

DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

it's funny how one dude who is apparently this off the charts athlete, yet he spends a ton of time in street clothes and in the training room rehabbing

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

So the NBA combine testing results are not accurate because your eyes say so?
    He had 35 inch max vert.

Simmons actual testing (not LSU) are good, but not anywhere near Zion or Giannis.

He is a good NBA athlete. Which is still ridiculous because of his height.

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Hopefully by this weekend

DeBeards likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

for a 19-20 year old looked damn good thus far. but apparently per ymca takes over here, that's all he is and will be right now. good luck being able to defend yourself

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

If you are really in the business, then how in holy hell could you keep parroting his lane agility and quickness as "similar" to a much smaller player?

At 6'10, Simmons lane agility and quickness are ELITE.

https://lakeshowlife.com/2016/06/01...-wingspan-vertical-chad-ford-lakers-prospect/

"Simmons’ lane agility numbers would have ranked him seventh overall and his 3/4 court sprin[t] would have been first overall at the Draft Combine."

Per the Timberwolves, they have Simmons max vert at 37. Still impressive.

https://www.nba.com/timberwolves/2016-nba-draft-profile-ben-simmons

And finally the eye test, these above the rim finishes are much more indicative of a higher max vert than 33".

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I said his sprint was elite. He is faster than Herro.
    The shuttle still, Herro is slightly better.
    It is still impressive at 6’10 but he isn’t a freak athlete.

D-rock likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And which one of those were his head above the rim?
    If he had 41 inch vert he would be looking down at the rim at 6’10

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Going to be a real treat watching that for years to come.

Simmons/Wood

DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would it really make much of a difference to you if his head was rim height when he dunked?

We are talking about a 6'10 point guard with speed agility athleticism and strength to defend 1-5.

cmoak1982, Rudyc281 and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  15. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Not because i said so. Because testing in an open jump is useless. So Love has a 35 max vertical.
    Rusell Westbrook in 2008 tested 30inch no jump and 36inch max vertical. https://www.nbadraft.net/2008-nba-predraft-camp-combine-results/
    Apparently according to those numbers, they are comparable athletes.

NBA needs to find a way to test "explosiveness".

#395 psaman17, Dec 11, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

A deal with Simmons and draft picks would be hard to turn down. After all, James is 31, says he wants out and has held his ground. Simmons plus picks isn't a bad consolation prize. But we're still stuck with Tilman though.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

What I don't like about Simmons is that he's not just bad at shooting. He does not shoot period. And as a SF/Guard, it really limit us in the future on who we can pair him up with.

Theoretically every guard in the league should be able to fit with Joel, he's a very skilled big men who can stretch the floor, play defense and play post up. But somehow he can't really fit Simmons because it turns him into a 3 pointer only center.

I am really struggling to think of anyone in the league that fits with Simmons. Big men will definitely struggle because the lane will be clogged, guards like Harden might struggle because opponents will sag off Simmons on the perimeter the same way they sag off WB.

Unless Simmons cuts down his half court perimeter game, and become a fastbreak, and post up/slashing only hybrid player, I don't know how to build around him

18. s3ts

s3ts Member

Dray has luxuries we can't afford on the Rockets. I don't know what he's worth on other teams but I know he's not worth the same to them as to GSW because they already have the shooters. Dray is also not worth the same as an asset, Ben already makes more money. Additionally, players who make that kind of money usually can shoot the ball well. If not they're likely to become albatross contracts.

Westbrook is Westbrook, we've seen where that takes the franchises. He also needs a KD-like talent to make it far. False or not, I'd settle for that confidence in the shot like Westbrook has, but Ben doesn't have that confidence either.

Entertaining the idea of Lebron/Magic comparisons with Ben Simmons is out of the question for me. I mean, yes, the game Ben plays on the court shows flashes of Lebron/Magic. The stats, the numbers, success factors just aren't there, except for maybe Magic's. Magic has played with all-time talent as well, so that's the other thing.

Really my thesis is Ben's contract is close to becoming an albatross. He's young, yes, but it's hard for me to envision him becoming a top-5 player. And that's what everyone thinks he will be worth later, a top-5 player, whether or not they understand the gigantic risk because of his lack of shooting ability. I just disagree that it's above 50% chance he's a top-5 player in 5-10 years. I don't know what's going to keep him motivated to keep improving his shooting or his abilities. A contract extension?

I'm not expecting to see a top-5 player walk through the doors for Harden, and nobody should. Ben has the higher upside, and I can agree to that, but he's already shown little improvement on the shooting. Chances of him improving his skills there decreases every season he doesn't improve, that's what I think. Joel Embiid has thoroughly shown his frustration on this front.

DeBeards likes this.
  19. Sanity2disChaos

I want Tatum...... really don’t want either of Herro or Simmons.

Wall and Simmons seem redundant.

Herro should not even be in the discussion. J J reddick clone. That’sit.

Stone should contact teams with the players he would like to replace Harden with. Be proactive. Throw a line and someone will bite!

True Rocket likes this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No, not at all. I was just being honest about the athleticism aspect for both of them.
    I would actually choose Simmons over Herro.

D-rock likes this.