1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If 2021 NBA draft could get a do-over?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Feb 18, 2024.

?

Who would be the top pick of the 2021 Draft?

1. Alperen Sengun

56 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Scottie Barnes

57 vote(s)
    40.7%
  3. Cade Cunningham

10 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Even Mobley

11 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. Franz Wagner

5 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. Other

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You can argue that Sengün has not been playing well lately but saying he is on Green's level.....that is laughable.

He has earned way more than Jalen has.....

Sengün has done 100% more than Green has done so far.....it has been Night and Day, literallly night and day.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Nice try but your entire response is laughable because I never compared the two. There is a Venn diagram of "people who have earned something in the NBA" and "people who haven't" and Jalen and Alpi are both in the 'people who haven't' bubble (along with many other players). Having a lot of promise as a player(which Seungun absolutely does) does not mean you have necessarily done anything - so I will repeat it one more time to stop acting like Sengun(or Jalen, or Eason, or Jabari, or most of the young guys in the league for that matter) haven proven anything just because you think they may one day be good.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

what's your minimum requirement to "prove anything?

4. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Green didn't get significantly worse. Many of those players you mentioned are still playing in the same system while Green has had his role change in his new system. Green may not be the player we hoped, but he is a serviceable playmaker and viable third option if he buys into it. Problem is he won't with the Rockets and will need to be traded to a team that may help turn him around.

eliefor3 likes this.
  5. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Ironically I think it would be quite possible we end up with the same players except reverse order as in senguin with the 2nd overall pick.

6. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

100%
    Green will not succeed with this team which is fine. But he has shown flashes and in the right environment he can flourish. Just look at wiggins. He was all but ruled a lost cause then was integral in gsw wining a championship.

Castian Crew likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A better way to say it is that Green stayed terrible at basketball. His scoring efficiency is worse though.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Yeah he just continues to be dramatically worse since this was last updated

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Now we’re blaming the system? The system is why he can’t shoot, can’t finish, can barely dribble, and plays dumb? None of those issues disappear if he’s on a different team. These are fundamental skill and BBIQ issues

Jalen Green: career low in FG%, 3 point percentage, TS%, OBPM…he has negative offensive win shares

he has the worst net rating of all the starters and it’s not even close

-2.9 net rating with Jalen Green on the court: the worst of all the starters

+5.2 net rating with him off the court

But he didn’t get significantly worse?

Scottie Barnes and Cade both got new coaches…Cade is in a much worse situation than Green

Green is a mediocre playmaker that can’t make anything but the simplest of reads, and you’re not a viable 3rd option if u barely shoot 40% from the field and 30% from deep, you’re a bench player

ChillyPete32, OremLK and YOLO like this.
  10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

It's a great question - let me think about it. I think it's somewhat about consistency - guys can have good nights or a good few weeks - that drives perception of ceiling....but what's your floor? I think that's the "prove it" piece - what can we count on every game? Prove you actually ARE a solid rotational player day in and day out(even though you may have good/bad nights), not that you can be that - I think that's the first level.

Sengun has a high ceiling - that's is true but you gotta turn that into a consistent night by night performance. For what it's worth I think he likely will have proved it by the end of the season but his defensive consistency, consistency as a playmaker/facilitator, rebounding consistency seems to still be up and down and I think it's a bit strange that while he has had a significant uptick in usage this year, his scoring has increased, but his playmaking hasn't. In my mind, what makes him far more valuable is how he can make those around him better but he has mostly taken the increased usage opportunities and taken that as an opportunity to go one on one rather than facilitate an offense.

...but this is just me riffing. Been evolving these concepts of floor vs ceiling a lot the last few years as we go on a team journey for talent development after basically having no "young talent" over the last few decades...

harold bingo likes this.
  11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Franz or Scottie. Probably Franz. They're in tier 1. Sengun in Tier 2. Cade / Mobley is probably a toss up. Mobley has proven more to me so far.

12. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I'm a huge Franz fan but I think Scottie has edged him out. Scottie had 21 12 12 5blks last night. He's the size of Sengun but plays like Amen. It's crazy.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

They're very close. I just lean Franz right now. He could go to any team anywhere and fit right in and contribute. It seems like Scottie has to play a certain way; he has to be the main dude.

Felipe and lakersuck2 like this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wat da fook? you forget Alpi got more all-star votes than Kawhi. REPORTED.

glimmertwins likes this.
  15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Kobe Bryant would get more votes than both combined and the dude is dead...

Os Trigonum likes this.