1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If 2021 NBA draft could get a do-over?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Feb 18, 2024.

?

Who would be the top pick of the 2021 Draft?

1. Alperen Sengun

56 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Scottie Barnes

57 vote(s)
    40.7%
  3. Cade Cunningham

10 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Even Mobley

11 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. Franz Wagner

5 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. Other

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

At basketball.

Don't get me wrong, Scottie is a good player, I wish we had him instead of Jalen Green.

But Sengun is even better.

Sengun will in the MVP conversation within the next years. Scottie will never be in that conversation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While their counting stats look similar, Sengun's advanced stats (net rating, PER, WS, BPM, VORP) are better than Scottie's already, and his rate of improvement shows he is not done growing yet.

Nothing wrong with Scottie, he would be my no. 2 pick in that draft.

Sengun is just that good.

#101 AroundTheWorld, Feb 21, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
    Williamson likes this.
  2. maypk

maypk Member

If Barnes is so f*cking good already that comparing him to Sengun is so ridiculous, how come the Raptors are 19-36 while the Rockets are 24-30?

3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...maybe because they have largely gutted the team over the last 6 months and exchanged players who are good now for players who may be good in the future or future draft picks and the Rockets have done the exact opposite..... Are you even paying attention, bro?

BallSoHarden likes this.
  4. maypk

maypk Member

Oh yeah, because the Rockets are stacked with multiple all-stars in their 30s. LMAO.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....are FVV, Dillon Brooks, Jeff Green, Jock Landale, Aaron Holiday, and Ime Udoka better than Josh Christopher, Bruno Fernando, Usman Garuba, Eric Gordon, KJ Martin, KPJ, Daishen Nix, TyTy, and Stephen Silas?

Yes or No.

6. maypk

maypk Member

None of Josh Christopher, Bruno Fernando, Usman Garuba, Eric Gordon, KJ Martin, KPJ, Daishen Nix, TyTy, or Stephen Silas play or coach for the Raptors this season, so I don't quite understand what your point is.

I don't compare 22/23 Rockets to 23/24 Rockets. I compare 23/24 Rockets to 23/24 Raptors.

GotGame15 likes this.
  7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I just don't agree with that.....the counting stats look similar AND you don't have to construct a scheme to keep Scottie on the floor defensively and as poor a shooter as Scottie is, he is still better than Sengun outside of 15ft. Scottie's floor today is much higher than Sengun's even if they both have high ceilings. I'll continue to preach that I love Sengun and feel like he is definitely the guy we should build around currently(unless someone else better comes along) but the path where Sengun is a key contributor on a title winning team is much more specific than the one where Scottie Barnes is. You have to put the absolute right guys around Sengun and have specific rotations to make it all work. It's possible - Denver figured it out with Jokic and it enabled him to unlock god mode but even then, Jokic has advantages because of his size that Sengun just doesn't have.

I'm just saying outside of complete homers on this board, I don't think there are many people who would build around Sengun over Barnes. It's frankly ridiculous that I have to point that out but here we are....Sengun has all the promise in the world, but let's be realistic about his shortcomings both for our sake and for his. He hasn't earned much so far in the league just like Jalen hasn't - we can't continue to lavish praise while looking the other way on their shortcomings.

OremLK and GotGame15 like this.
  8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....you are aware that the Raptors traded or let go of all 3 of their all stars from the title winning team AND their head coach inside the last year, right?

Again, are you paying attention or just opening your both spewing ignorance?

No Nick Nurse, no OG Anounoby, no Pascal Siakam, no Fred Van Vleet, no Precious Achiuwa = a much worse Raptor team.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's fine.

But you are wrong.

10. maypk

maypk Member

Except that they were 12-19 before they traded OG Anunoby, Pascal Siakam, Precious Achiuwa, and Dennis Shröder. LOL.

But you are entitled to your stupid opinion.

11. xaos

xaos Member

Didn't read the thread (2021 draft), but James Bouknight is available. I havent followed his career so he could be a scrub or an uncut gem for all I know but is it worth picking him up to see if he has any value left? From what I remember he was a good shooter

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I'll be happy to be wrong because as a lifelong Rockets fan, I'll win in the end if Sengun turns into Sengod....I just don't think I'm going to be wrong here but as the president of the Sengun fan club, I'll make sure you never forget it if I am right.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I guess Turkish free throw defense must suck and NBA teams are really good at defending free throw shooting. :D

14. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Herb Jones is so much better than Jalen Green.

OremLK and GotGame15 like this.
  15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yes. Maybe there are a few front offices who would take Sengun over Barnes--maybe teams that are already locked in on a great perimeter primary ballhandler and want a frontcourt guy to play the PnR with him? Indiana jumps to mind.

But I think the positional size thing is a huge deal and most teams would take Barnes because it's just easier to build out your roster with him.

That's not even to say I necessarily think Barnes will be better than Sengun. Right now I think that's a toss-up. I could even see the argument that it slightly favors Sengun since he's a year younger. But it's close, in any case, and when players are close (same tier) you have to think about roster construction.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

17. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Sengun would be the steal of the draft at #60

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

everyone else is so much better than Jalen it’s just sad atp

there are people on here who actually think Green is better than Cade…

Cade, Mobley, Barnes, Suggs, Franz, and Kuminga all got better…Green just had to be the one who got significantly worse

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

I've been saying people are trying to give Cade too short of a leash. He is essentially halfway through his second season in terms of number of games played. Won't be surprised if he breaks out in a big way next season.

Imagine if Stone hadn't traded for Sengun--I think everybody would be calling for his job daily if we'd come out of that draft with just Jalen and keeping a couple of future FRPs that look like there's a high chance they'll never convey now.

Reeko and Strawberry Gum like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think the question was not that Cade was not good but if he was great enough to be the Numero Uno or staying the Numero Dos (Due)....