1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Idiot Science] Cheetahs’ Secret Weapon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jun 14, 2013.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Did these scientists ever take the time to watch one of the 18 million YouTube videos on Cheetahs chasing and killing **** in Africa?

They didn't even call me... I'm very upset.

Some highlights...
    _____

Cheetahs’ Secret Weapon: A Tight Turning Radius

Dr. Wilson and his team spent nearly 10 years designing and building a battery-powered, solar-charged tracking collar, one that uses an accelerometer, a gyroscope and GPS technology to monitor the animal’s movements.

They attached these collars to five cheetahs in the Okavango Delta region and observed 367 of their hunting runs over six to nine months.

“Cheetahs don’t actually go very fast when they’re hunting,” said Alan M. Wilson, a professor at the Royal Veterinary College at the University of London

“Its muscles are very powerful,” Dr. Wilson said. “They’re arranged in a way that gives it the ability to accelerate very quickly.”

What is more, the cheetah’s ability to maneuver at high speeds far surpasses that of the greyhound and the horse, its closest competitors in that category, Dr. Wilson said

full article

2. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Well no ****. I could have told them that after watching some Big Cat Diaries.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Everyone - I encourage you to voice your outrage at this so-called 'scientific study'.

YouTube, pictures, or GIFs are acceptable means of demonstrating your hate for this kind of pseudo-science.

<iframe src="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/media/embed/80714326" width="567" height="345" frameborder="0"></iframe>