1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Identifying the Rockets core

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Miami took Herro over Harden..... I'm not going to speculate about what stupid moves other teams would or wouldn't do because it's not relevant.

The Texans sure are lucky they have that rapist QB.... amazing hill to die on.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Re-shuffle them and use basic and advanced stats to filter out the core by contribution to those 16 wins.

Use higher or lower standards (highest recommended)

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is tough, because lots of lower drafted players would be playing above higher drafted ones.

If you want to maximize talent and development we need to balance the roster.

DD

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Lol why need talent scouts and gms when all we need is statisticians? That's all that's needed to output the best most talented roster right?

kpdark and xaos like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

the only thing really hurting his game is silas and his insistence on it...yanis has no 3 pt shot and was 2 times mvp and a champion...also
    never forget cp3 beat lebron in playoffs playing with one hand not even shooting 3 pointers

TAKE THAT FOR DATA

dumbalytics has ruined houston rockets basketball and costed them 2 titles and its pathetic the fans and the management still insist on that

6. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I don't understand how anyone would be OK with giving up on Green after 3/4 of one season. Especially given his improvement

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

JG and Jabari

eliefor3 likes this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Mine is Green and Sengun.

The only way i include KPJ in the core is if they move him off ball and its successful.

Milos likes this.
  9. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Kpj is also expendable bc we got him for a 2nd round pick so if they wanted to get rid him and got mid to late first then they would still be a net positive. Unless green turns into a bust we are not trading him without getting an amazing return. Something like him and a pick for Mitchell or something

steddinotayto likes this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

By saying KPj needs to adjust, I think you just described Clutch’s position that Green is the core. ie, such adjustment primarily needs to happen as fit for Green.

btw: I think Centerpiece is the better word here than Core (if Clutch is only including one player)​

I don’t think @Clutch created this thread as a prediction, but rather saying that gm/coach player eval/actions *right now* should be centered solely around “what can you do to fit in with Green or make him better.”

So, in that regard, Sengun is showing more core fit than KPj, imo, but that doesn’t make him a core/centerpiece, in this thread. And those who are talking player upside isn’t point either. Imo, the point of thread is do we agree that we should evaluate everyone on how they fit with Green, moreso than any other player.

#110 heypartner, Mar 9, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    roxallways, xaos, YOLO and 1 other person like this.
  11. alethios

alethios Member

Spoken like a true Moreyist :D

fchowd0311 likes this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The definition of "core" probably needs to defined. People are acting like "core" means "untouchable". To me, that's never the case.
    Currently the core to me is somewhat undefined since we haven't even had a year with most of these guys. I know some of you guys want to trade everybody and their mother or declare them "failed" after half-a-season, but to me :

Jalen Green - can't be traded yet unless it's part of a trade for a bonafide star simply because he's a #2 pick and you don't give up on that this quickly.

If that is your definition of what "core" is, then that's it. But I recall Otis Thorpe was a "core" piece of a championship team and was immediately traded. Vernon Maxwell was part of a champinship core and he did Vernon things and was dumped. Our core changed.

These are the guys I hope will become part of some core, and I see promise in some major role in the future. By "future", I mean 3-5 years down the road, although that's an eternity in NBA time :

Christian Wood : he gets grief for being an imperfect player that puts up points and rebs. I don't hate him as much as most, and his scoring isn't easily replaceable.
    Alperen Sengun : he shows so much promise, but at the same time, shows flaws, but his skill-set can't be given up on quickly.
    Kevin Porter, Jr : same as Sengun, he has crazy games where he shows greatness, but other games where I just don't know if he's a true PG. I can't give up on him yet.
    Jae'Sean Tate : lol. I just put him here because I love the type of player he is and any good team would love to have him. If he could only find an outside shot. But he's as tradeabale as anybody else on the team.

The rest of the guys have shown promise, but are they core? No. Nix is a lottery ticket of sorts that I would love to see work out, but he's just the board's latest love-affair, and we've had a few of those over the years. KMJ is another player that's like a younger Jae'Sean. He's so far been a good guy to have around, great help defender/weak-side blocker, but can he be replaced if necessary? Maybe.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Green and Sengun would be my core 2 to build around. I think the upside is greatest with those 2 and you try to fit in pieces that work well with them.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  14. Milos

Milos Member

I'd trade Green for the upcoming pick to draft Ivey at #4 in a heartbeat as our new core SG of the future, but I guess that's just swapping core parts really

I would include Green and our next top-5 pick as the core
    If we're not building a future contender around those 2 pieces, we are core-less

#114 Milos, Mar 9, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  15. alethios

alethios Member

Regardless of our centerpiece or core player (s), we still need a coaching staff that can develop these players offensively and defensively, as well as integrate veteran players into the game plan. And win games.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Frankly if core = “untouchable”, I don’t think there should be an untouchable player on the roster at this point. But no doubt Green is the closest thing. I like the recent improvement but I’m waiting till next year to see a big leap.

To Clutch’s point I guess we really don’t have a core yet. We have talented young players in the early stage of development, that don’t seem to fit well on the court. But I’d put KPJ and Sengun along with Green as our highest upside prospects.

i 2nd Clutch’s reminder that we should still be in asset collecting mode. Stone will have to make some significant moves this offseason.

eliefor3 likes this.
  17. conquistador#11

For KPJ to be the in da' core would mean a very patient and calm Silas will be the head coach for the next 8 years.
    What if Silas gets fired in the off season or next? That new coach isn't going to tolerate some of the 'situations' that have happened this year.
    Talent wise, he should. He has played the point better than many 21 year old rookies throughout the decades. Toni Braxton won't breakup the back court but another soup could.

18. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Well done!

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Doesn't change the fact that u thought savage was the better option than Watson.

Sometimes u r wrong. It's okay to admit it

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dunno what you trying to say but for us fans that is the most simple answer.

Apples and oranges, we were talking about one aspect of it, simplifying things.

If you complicate things as follows.

In the NBA world of course you have the scout for these rather unknown players who have to make a name for themselves.

You have the GMs with legal knowledge or those who have been ex agents who have the connections with players, other executives, making calls, making decisions, conveying it to the owner etc.

Or like Sean Marks, a former player.