1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Identifying the Rockets core

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 9, 2022.

1. plegus

plegus Member

Rules favoring offense like nobodys business and refs favoring “The Guy”s is the ultimate problem of the NBA. It has always been. Very hard for a Euro to acknowledge because it is against the very core of basketball we know. Literally unjust.

burlesk likes this.
  2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

3. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Chet v Sengun discussable but Alp is certainly better than LaMelo,Barnes & Paolo.

4. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

Their skill sets are complimentary, not overlapping...What is there to discuss?

tagedieb likes this.
  5. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Discuss which one is better for #6 berth.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The Hakeem era Rockets only ever had one guy that fit that description.

cml750 likes this.
  7. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

lol I have no idea what #6 berth means but both players are great in their own rights and age!

8. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

I can see you have no idea what was the talk about.
    If you check the previous page you will see there is a list of top players under-25 age. If you read first, we can discuss later on.

9. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

C: Sengun
    PF: Smith
    SF: Eason
    SG: ?
    PG: ?

The front court core is set. The backcourt core is questionable.

Jalen Green has been inconsistent and hasn't elevated his game as expected from a former #2 overall pick. Currently an athletic combo guard without the court vision so really only can play as a shooting guard. Sky's the limit as a two guard on offense IF he puts it together. Defense...time will tell.

Amen Thompson is a versatile athletic wing player that can play two positions, point guard and small forward. Shooting guard doesn't seem likely in his NBA career. Has potential but having no jump shot hurts especially if he is in the starting lineup and limits PnR options. Potential elite playmaker and defender.

Cam Whitmore is an athletic tank with tunnelvision. Plays bullyball and has a good jump shot. A hybrid shooting guard small forward. Potential elite scorer and good/great defender.

Cam Whitmore is playing with an edge and coming for that shooting guard spot in this core. His floor is 6th man microwave scorer. Amen Thompson would be the unquestioned point guard of the future IF he had a jump shot. Will he get one? The answer to that determines if he truly is a core piece for this Rockets team. Jalen Green has to figure out what type of player he wants to be. If it's a superstar then he needs to get better court vision, have a consistent jump shot, and get to the line. At the least, Jalen needs a great jump shot.

Whoever can play the best with the front court lineup will be the one(s) to stay.

bcast89, Ankara1923 and jcmoon like this.
  10. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I don't do that **** but thanks for the offer...It is the same shitty question who is better? Magic or Bird? MJ, Kobe or LBJ? These simple social media/ ESPN media takes are driving me crazy. I really don't care what they say...Doncic is at the top of the list...rightfully so, I guess. BUT do you think he will ever win a championship with his current playing style? People are questioning why Sengun is trying to help Jalen and lifting up Bari when he was feeling down...do you think that he will have a better chance than Doncic to win a championship? In my humble opinion, Sengun is an up and coming player...He is great! LaMelo (just because you mentioned him) is an established player already so he is great, too. If I was a Rockets GM, I would have wanted both...if my analytics experts said they fit great together and if my coach had said they could help winning multiple championships...basketball is a puzzle...you have to have the right pieces in place...otherwise, we can put these top 10 players in a team mentioned in that post and expect them to win a ring every single year....rofl!

Ankara1923 likes this.
  11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Worst defense I’ve ever seen. Legitimately.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  12. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

its not out of the realm of possibility that we still try to keep them all or five of them? We can always trade dillon brooks while his value is high next year, along with vanfleet or just not resign him, and then continue to develop them and then trade one or two of them later.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Trading Dillon Brooks is just a bad idea. You don’t let go of 27 yr old DPY candidates who shoot the 3 at an high level. Holding fast to prospects that aren’t developing is also unwise. You can’t develop 5 projects at the same time and still expect to play at a high level. We’ve seen what we need to see out of Sengun, Bari, Tari and even Cam, to know that those are the guys to keep. But we should be open to moving anyone else except the two starting vets that have given us our hard-nosed identity.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

15. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I think it’s more likely we eventually extend Brooks than trade him next season. The dude is the backbone to Ime’s approach.

16. jcmoon

I hear what you are saying, but I still think trading brooks is still on the table for the right trade, since tari can be his replacement? We still aint going anywhere even with brooks, and by the time his contract is up, he'll want even more money. I think if a contender gives us a trade offer next year for brooks that we can't refuse, he's expendable. I know those four are the ones to keep, but i doubt we'll sell low on jalen green. Regardless of the fact that he's not panning out, he still has so much potential, and is still so young.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

If Tari and Cam become stars, I can see Dillon getting moved at some point, but I hope not until right before he becomes a free agent. If we are trying to contend in a couple yrs, Dillon is one of those guys you want on your team.

i was extremely skeptical of bringing Dillon in on that 4-yr deal, but I was flat wrong. When I think of Bari at the 4, Tari at the 3/4, Dillon at the 3, and Cam at the 2/3, I feel like we have the 4 & 3 locked up for years to come. If Tate and Jalen get moved this offseason the minutes will be there for those guys. And there’s nothing wrong with having a little depth as long as good players aren’t wasting away on the bench.

jcmoon likes this.
  18. jcmoon

i hear what you are saying, but i guess your view of this team is different than mine. I don't see us being a contender in two years. i see first round and then exit at best. Dillon is on one of the best contracts in the NBA and should be coveted by many teams next trade deadline, as the missing piece. Dillon at 27 is a guy you want to add to a contender or fringe contender. We are not that, and i don't see us being that anytime soon. If a team overpays for him say giving two first round picks to keep a star happy from leaving, i think we should do it. By the time Alpi hits his prime, Dillon will be looking for a new contract....30 million? I think we should trade him at his peak value than just tread in mediocrity and lose him for nothing.

Aruba77 likes this.
  19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The Rockets core was identified 50 pages ago (Sengun).

Ankara1923 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Update at the halfway point of the 2023-2024 season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CXbby and maypk like this.