1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Identifying the Rockets core

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 9, 2022.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I’d take it one step further

we don’t even have a “core” until we reach the playoffs.

Until then , players of interest are 2021 1st rounder , 2022 1st rounder ... Etc ...

cf wanted tanking ... let’s just hope we aren’t at the bottom too long

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sengun: bigs typically take longer to bloom.
    KPJ: talented. Where is his best fit on a p/o roster?
    KMJ: how much upside is there?

Timeline: I call BS that everyone going forward has to be 19-24.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

IMO we are already there.

DaDakota and xaos like this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It’s Tilman n we’re doomed

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

let’s stay on point. Some guys will never get traded until they become Harden or Kyrie.

6. alethios

alethios Member

Nice post, but do you really think Wood will be on this team after this season?

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

And you’re completely wrong as you usually are. You can argue KPJ is better than Green right now but in terms of ceiling Green is far above everyone else on this team.

Clutch is correct. Green is the only player guaranteed to be here at least through the rest of his contract. Everyone else is potentially trade bait.

Here’s a good test: If KAT demanded a trade and Minny wanted Green Hou would say no. If they want Sengun or KPJ or Jaygup, etc they would say yes.

BMoney likes this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

19 year Dream
    ripped

9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

In the NBA there’s really no such thing as a core anymore.

If you are lucky you have one….maybe two guys who are completely untouchable unless they want out or that iteration has run its course.

There’s not a player on the team that is untouchable if an in their prime megastar wanted to come here.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

DEVELOPMENT. Year 2 traditionally sees a huge jump.

WEIGHT ROOM. This squad needs the weight room.

WAIT ROOM: At these ages and levels of experience there is room to wait. On their Year 2 jump, physical maturity, court IQ.

I am not ready to quit on any of our young’ns.

AroundTheWorld and snowconeman22 like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

false. every team essentially has a core. every team has player(s) they play off of and build the way they play off of that

Whether that team is good or not or if they translate that to wins is another story. But saying there's no such thing as a core in the nba is absolutely wrong.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If the only example of a potential trade with a current player is for a player that would be a core piece, the current player is a core piece.

sydmill and Bobbythegreat like this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

I agree, but it's still very fluid.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That assumption may or may not be true.... but the point is that none of them imo are future superstars, so if given the chance to trade for an actual superstar player, you'd drop all three.

I think it's amazing what a few decent games boosting his 3 point percentage all the way to 31% has done for the Green hype wagon.

He's been doing well, and it has been fun to see.... but talking about him like he's a future superstar? Lol, cmon.

15. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

100%

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Haha I was 100% sure he was gone by this past trade deadline and yet here he is.

I'm guessing he has come to terms that Houston is the best place for him.

Going from yelling and being frustrated with
    Green, Porter Jr, Tate and vice-versa....
    I think he likes the projected Silas offense
    and sees great things from the young kids
    plus Tate, Mathews and Kenyon.

After the Grizz game Tate was asked how did we out rebound one of the best rebounding teams in the NBA? Tate replied, as a group. We needed to give Wood some help.

I'm seeing greater unity now than earlier in the season when Wood was all about himself.

snowconeman22 and alethios like this.
  17. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Hmmm are you preparing us up for an incoming trade for some of the young 'core' ?

I disagree with you...you should not be trading a group/core of young players that obviously has potential and not giving them a chance to grow as a group. Build comradery, trust and have fun playing with each other.

I think Jalen, Sengun, Tate, KJ are your building block and should not be on the trade block any time soon

snowconeman22 likes this.
  18. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

None of the top 10 players in the NBA right now are scoring guards. Usually in All NBA or Allstar starter discussions, you just use the other guard slot for another playmaker. There really hasn't been a true MVP level scoring guard since Wade and Kobe when the game was still played in a very different way. That said though, having a really good scoring guard, like Booker, as a complement to another great player, like CP3, is a really potent combination. So while I wouldn't say that Green is that future star player that will carry us to a championship, he can very well be part of that future core one day.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

To be fair I am completely convinced that we are 'tanking' at this point and didn't trade Wood because he contributes to the tank with his absolutely horrendous defense. Easy to lose games when you have a guy that could give up 10 points to a chair.

I think KPJ could work on a future contending team with either a defense focused guard like Marcus Smart/Bev type or just a pure point guard that allows both Green/KPJ to play more freely as wingmen. My concern with him is his mental state...I still don't forget he just drove home in the middle of a damn game.

Sengun might be a harder fit because I don't know who we are drafting and its kind of hard to play two very big guys...but he might actually work well with Chet who can hit the 3.

Next season should be the season that the team tries to build something of an identity moving forward with hopefully two top 3 picks on their roster, young potential players like KPJ/Sengun, next season should be the one where we are ready to figure out where everyone fits and what their roles will be.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Higher than Jalen Green? Jalen is better at everything basketball wise not including he is more athletic in every way imaginable. Please, explain how much higher the ceiling is.

kpdark and rhino17 like this.