1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Identifying the Rockets core

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 9, 2022.

1. invocux

invocux Member

Actually screamed

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That killed Nix' career right there :D.

albuster and Dobbizzle like this.
  3. invocux

invocux Member

Imagine not having any skill AND DD rooting for you. Poor guy is lucky he's breathing rn.

albuster and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. xaos

xaos Member

Wasn't sure if Alpi would be a situational mismatch for certain series or what his ceiling would be but I'm just happy we traded for him because he and FVV have been our best players this year. As a Rockets fan I'm loving it. He has already exceeded my expectations,... which I never doubted his offensive skillset just his overall impact

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

"Gloating" when the predicted outcome actually furthers team success is much better than gloating about a player NOT doing well.

What you call "gloating" is basically happiness that a positive prediction became true, for the benefit of the team.

People NEVER SHUTTING UP when it comes to trying to drag down a player or his fans are much more annoying, because they come across as jealous negative nancies.

albuster likes this.
  6. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Y'all should know by now that @Os Trigonum just likes trolling Sengun fans for entertainment. You shouldn't take him so seriously.

ElPigto likes this.
  7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I do think Sengun is a core PIECE. Similar to Murray for Denver. NOT IN PLAY BUT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE TEAM.

I think for the Rockets to become a championship level team; Jalen, Jabari, Thomson or Cam has to become equally as good or better. He is not a superstar athlete/ player

You can't have Sengun and four supporting players, this is why Im so disappointed in Jalen. I thought he would flourish this yr.

I honestly thought Jalen was on par with Kobe but he isn't even Zack LaVen.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Fixed it for ya.

He isn't as good yet (to some extent because he still doesn't get featured as much), but he is on a similar trajectory.

jim1961, albuster and kubli9 like this.
  9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes, they/we do. No, not right.

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

FINALLY someone who gets it. Sengun's rise has been partly on the hard effort Sengun has put in to become a better defender....but also and even more so - Udoka is putting in place schemes to limit getting Sengun isolated by the Dame Lillards of the world AND we have much better personnel on the team to execute those schemes. You'll also notice Sengun shares playing time with very specific players as well - nearly all his minutes played this season are with FVV, Brooks, and one of Jabari/Uncle Jeff/Tate. That tells me there is a concerted effort to keep Sengun on the court with 3 switchable smart wing defenders at all time.

I'm also noticing FVV seems to help Alpi a lot as a PnR partner because he gets two defenders to commit and creates an advantage for Sengun to exploit(and he is coming through and delivering on those advantages). The point being - Sengun seems like a core piece but let's not loose sight of the fact that we are seeing the best from Sengun because we are pairing him with a PG who helps him on the offensive end and 3 smart defenders to help cover some of Sengun's problems defensively so when you go into your "trade everyone else but Sengun" diatribes, remember that you need to also find money to fill in smart versatile wing defenders and a good PnR partner too if you want this version of Sengun forever.

Rashmon and plegus like this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

We shall see. Things appear to be heading towards "The Houston Rockets have traded for (insert disgruntled NBA superstar here)" territory. Hopefully there is enough ego to go around and the SOFs will be ok with sharing the limelight if a star level player were to be added.

Im perfectly fine blowing it up and surrounding Sengun with 3 point shooters by the way. 3&D teams win rings.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Who do you think they would/should trade for?

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

List of players as good as Jokic the last 15ish years: Lebron. Also keep in mind 21 year old jokic was in his 2nd year, sengun is in his 3rd and 2nd year jokic put up a TS 16% above league average (sengun is at 8% this season which is awesome)

harold bingo likes this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Now do Tyreke Evans and Kobe Bryant at age 20

glimmertwins likes this.
  15. harold bingo

Supporting Member

In general you need more than one guy, just as a rule. One guy plus four roleplayers is not the way to win a championship in todays NBA. Even Jordan needed Pippen.

We still don't know if Sengun is good enough to be the best player on a championship team. He appears to be on that trajectory, and is probably ahead of schedule in that regard, but he still needs to make either 1 or 2 big leaps to get to that level. But if/when he gets there, he can't do it alone. The team absolutely has to get another star. Look at Denvers success with and without Jamal Murray...Jokic can't do it alone and it's unlikely Sengun reaches that level. So Sengun needs his Jamal Murray. Or even if we get a player that's as good as Sengun, they can be 1a and 1b. Or even if we get a player better than Sengun, they can be like Pau and Kobe. I think that's why so many Sengun fans really like Jalen Green and want him to succeed, in terms of archetype I think it's a really really good pairing. But no matter what we need another guy.

plegus, albuster and AroundTheWorld like this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I dont know, but we have the ammunition to get a blockbuster done. Not sure what star player would be the next to want out. I've heard PG13 was available a little while back (not sure about NOW with Harden) but using PG13 as an example is this fanbase ready to give a guy like that most of the usage on the team if it lead to meaningful wins? Sengun obviously would be a big piece of the puzzle, but could the limelight be shared for the sake of the team if it meant it would reduce Alperen Senguns individual glory?

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its working for Denver.

18. harold bingo

Supporting Member

What? Jamal Murray averaged 26/6/7 on 59% TS in their championship run. How can you not consider Murray a star?

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Jamal Murray is not a star bro relax. He hit a nice groove for them, but a lifelong 16/4/3 guy is not a "star" anyway you slice it. He's explosive. He can go off on you, but he plays his role well for that team. Great 3 point shooter.

20. harold bingo

Supporting Member

This is completely nuts. Why would I care what his career stats are? I care about how he played when they won a championship. He played like an all-nba guy that year, and if he didn't, they wouldn't have won the championship. So that's what we're talking about here. If you want to win a championship you need two players that are playing like stars that year. The career statline has nothing to do with it.

Moe, plegus, albuster and 2 others like this.