1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Identifying the Rockets core

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

While basketball is highly driven by stars, it is still a team game. The Kings are better because Fox and Barnes have been significantly better than Myles Turner this year, and the Pacers are rebuilding (soft rebuilding instead of The Process rebuilding) while the Kings are trying to win. I don't think the Pacers regret the deal at all. I am surprised the Kings have been as good as they have been.

As a Rockets fan, I would offer a lot more for Haliburton than Sabonis at the moment. Younger and fits the Rockets biggest need.

Edit: Both teams got what they wanted. I think Haliburton will provide a lot more value over time than Sabonis. I'm also shocked that the Pacers weren't able to get something for Hield.

#661 Joe Joe, Mar 31, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Durant never scored lower than 20.8.

Like ever.

3. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

[​IMG]

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Sabonis is the guy on that team, he’s what makes the team go.
    He’s a better player than Halliburton currently. Who knows what the future may be, Halliburton has to prove he can stay healthy.

Turner, Mathurin, Hield are all putting up better numbers than Barnes and Huerter btw

Medicine N Music likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nix doesn't lack chromosomes, he is lacking NBA standard skills.

He would do relatively well in any other Euro or Asian league.

6. sydmill

sydmill Member

@SamFisher @Le$$ :

On an individual level I think that Sengun is close, as a 20 year old second year player, to Sabonis who is 26 and in his 7th season. Their per 36 and 100 possession stats are eerily similar now. I could easily see him surpassing Domantas as a player next season with just nominal improvement. Fox's numbers are better than Jalen's but, again, I think Jalen is going to show significant improvement in his 3rd season and I could see him providing essentially what Fox does now as a 25 year old in Jalen's age 21 season. Minus the playmaking which is definitely in Fox's favor. So, essentially, what I was saying is this: I could see the 2023/2024 Rockets importing something similar to the 2022/2023 Kings best 2 players next season in Sengun and Jalen Green. I think the needle is pointing up on both of those guys from there. So they are core.

What sets the Rockets apart from the Kings of the past, present and future is that I think Jabari Smith, Tari Eason and KPJ project to be a better supporting cast to those guys than 2022/2023 Harrison Barnes, Kevin Huerter and Keegan Murray. Basically, I think a core of Green, Sengun, KPJ, Eason and Jabari *could*, with proper development, be a successful team.

AlperenSengun and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If this is your opinion, you should not have an opinion that this trade sides with one team or the other as Haliburton's prime value is in the future. Though, when healthy, he has arguably played better than Sabonis.

Why drop Fox? On Turner, Mathrin, and Hield...the numbers you are looking at must not be all-encompassing stats even without Fox. Raptor 7.9 vs. 8.5 for 3 Pacers vs 2 Kings. Add in Fox for an apples to apples and it is 7.9 vs. 14.8. I'm pretty sure other all encompassing stats will show a similar trend as watching the games, one can see that the Kings have a solid team while the Pacers are a mess (relative to the Kings) besides for Haliburton. I do like Mathurin as a future piece, but Murray is probably better now and may stay better.

Also, I think Turner is an empty stats guy (i.e., traditional stats). He gets blocks, but does not look like a good defender. I've really soured on him since that trade. I thought he would look better without Sabonis, but the exact opposite has happened since that trade. I'm not a fan of Barnes either, but for trying to win games now, I'd take him (he's probably the 3rd or 4th best King) over any Pacer besides Haliburton.

Caveat: I don't watch much Kings or Pacers, but man in the games I've seen do the Kings look solid from a depth perspective while the Pacers look to have some interesting young pieces.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

All I mean by that is it doesn’t matter how good he is if doesn’t play. Indiana had that with Brogdon forever as well.

I personally don’t think when Halliburton had played he’s been better than Sabonis. More of a wash.
    Yes Fox is better than any other player on the Pacers but I think the pacers have more depth of quality players than the Kings do currently.
    Just my opinion.

Either way, currently, the Kings are winning the trade I think. That could change

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You think Fox is better than Halliburton? I think Halliburton has a genuine chance of being the best pg of the next decade.

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No I think Sabonis is currently better than Halliburton.
    I actually think Halliburton can be the top PG in the game, but he’s gotta stay healthy.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If one's view is solely on performance to date, I'd say it is arguable either way. I'd also say it is only arguable on this front because the Kings traded from surplus, and got a guy that fits very well with their team. I still don't think the Kings will win the NBA Championship with this roster, and I think they really lack the flexibility to improve without doing something really risky.

I really disagree on Pacers depth regarding winning now.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think it’s debatable at all, the Kings are a top 3 seed in the west and the Pacers are out of the playoffs in the east.
    That could change, but Halliburton is going to have to stay healthy to do that.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Apples to oranges.

Halli is the best at facilitating and he can shoot and score.

Fox will be special in the 4th, he is already pretty clutch.

He is only a PG in name, he scores and shoots a lot in tight situations.

I think Mike Brown is a god sent gift to Fox, he is making him better and more accountable.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

The trade was always about win now for the Kings while giving up a future star in Haliburton. The kings aren't going to win a championship but Sabonis was always going to make them a better team. If someone is happy with them just making the playoffs then that standard has been reached. Good for them getting out of that historically long drought finally. I don't even see them making it out of the first round based on the some of the potential matchups. they'll win maybe a couple games and pat themselves on the back just for ending the drought

Haliburton is literally continuing his blossom while making his first all star and becoming one of the top playmakers in the league, while also becoming a knockdown shooter. Future is extremely bright for this one

#674 YOLO, Mar 31, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    BaselineFade and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Apples to oranges.

Halli is the best at facilitating and he can shoot and score.

Fox will be special in the 4th, he is already pretty clutch.

He is only a PG in name, he scores and shoots a lot in tight situations.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

And that's although the Pacers have Myles Turner, whom some here would want as "lob threat" and "rim protector".

scola88, HardenReturns and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Simon refuses a/the ‘process’. Halliburton is aces. Sabonis fits better out west. Win/win deal IMO.

Pacers have looked like an NBA team. With an NBA coach. Championship on the horizon? No. But competitive, at least.

Buddy Buckets? Has their ask just been too high?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

The main core is Green, Sengun, Bari and Tari. Once these four start filling out, expanding their game and ultimately finding their way, all four could potentially be all stars.

Beyond the four core, KJ, Garuba, TyTy, Tate and possibly Christopher could be solid role players. They should all benefit and thrive with a new coach and a better system.

This summer's going to be crazy with the draft, free agency and possibly a new coaching staff.

Gonna be fun.

Hopefully.

AlperenSengun and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You know ball. I hope the org sees things like you.

scola88 likes this.
  20. invocux

invocux Member

I'm not disagreeing with you he's been mad inefficient. It's just that hey Jalen was drafted 2nd overall why are we still losing?!! thing is dumb.

fchowd0311 likes this.