1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Identifying the Rockets core

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 9, 2022.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Okay? And he's having a more promising start than Lavine.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

So are you calling Mobley a franchise player? I don’t see it. I think Jaylen has the better chance of being a franchise player and its starting to show.

3. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I'd trade anyone on this team for Doncic or Morant. In that sense, I don't think a single player is actually "untouchable."

If we're just talking who we see as the future of this team, I'd put Green and Sengun both in that core.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is my opinion as well. Sengun may get traded, but the acquired guy will be a core piece.

xaos likes this.
  5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

We might add 2022 1st rounder to the 'core' alongside (possibly in front of?) Green.
    Jalen Green is potentially not even 'core'at this stage?

It would need to be a significant offer - but if Beal (or insert other superstar who might move) wanted to come to Houston and the match price was Green, then it needs to be considered

Milos likes this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Most people know where I stand; I've pushed a Golden State model for years:
    *about 3 top grade A facilitators/ scorers (Porter/Green/top rookie this draft)
    *surrounded by 3-pt shooters
    *slashers and cutters
    *a big or muscle guy big enough to handle big centers in the league for
    about 20-24 minutes a game. Doing the dirty work of rim protection, blocks,
    shot alterations. Guy like Bogut, JaVale MeGee, David West, Zaza Pachulia.

It's similar to what Silas had in Dallas

I'm good with Sengun as that muscle man. Only 19 and will get better.
    Lately Silas as been trying to have Sengun less in the post and more up top
    and trying to run the offense like Olynyk did last season for the Rockets.

Sengun becomes more valuable to me if he acts like Brad Miller or Olynyk
    and being the hub of the offense from the 3-pt line. Sengun is a good enough
    passer to make that work. Princeton backdoor cuts open up. Takes the opposing
    Big away from the rim allowing slashing as well. Triangle action between Sengun,
    Green, Porter Jr, Kenyon, Mathews, Josh Christopher will be better over time.

Then Sengun could feasibly play greater minutes. If not, I'm liking the notion
    of Chet or Jabari Smith or Banchero moving to "Small Ball" center next to C Wood.
    Excellent possibilities for open lanes, double tooth pick protection near the rim,
    cutters and slashers. Triangle offense mixed in with Princeton offense.....
    Warriors offense in my opinion. I know Sengun only fans faint after hearing
    Sengun staying around 20 minutes a game.

Like any deal, let me see the makeup of it and the fine print of who we are
    giving up and who are we getting back.

#46 ApacheWarrior, Mar 9, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    xiki and gfab-babyboi like this.
  7. CXbby

CXbby Member

If your definition of core is “untouchable” then Jalen isn’t in it either, there are many players that you have to trade him for: basically any franchise player under 25, Doncic, Trae Young, Morant etc, other top rookies, Mobley, Cade, Giddey, Barnes (arguable on some of those), and the superstars that are older, Jokic, Embiid etc.

Truly untouchable players are like Doncic, Trae, Morant, Jokic, Embiid, Giannis etc because whoever you trade for will be lateral move at best, Jalen isn’t that or even have the potential to be that. I’m glad he’s been playing better of late, I’ll eat my crow(and more), but in reality he’s just back on the path that many of us pegged him at during the draft, guy with Lavine/Beal upside. Those guys are not untouchable, they have been traded or are constantly in trade rumors.

In that sense, neither Green, Sengun or kpj are untouchable. Green does have the highest trade value of the three right now though. I still think Sengun has the higher upside in the long run, there is absolutely nothing stopping him from becoming someone like Domantas Sabonis at minimum, and Sengun has already shown much better rim protection. That’s an allstar that just got traded for a guy who I thought was an actual untouchable caliber player (Haliburton).

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wasn’t 19 year old Dream banging down low with Moses Malone ?

9. marky :)

marky :) Member

Well I mean obviously if you could trade Green for any of them you would, and Clutch probably would as well. The point is if you're going to try to rebuild this team around one current player on the team, it's Green. I semi-agree with Clutch as i would throw in KPJ/Sengun in the core as 'untouchable'.

#49 marky :), Mar 9, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    Nelly, sydmill and red5rocket like this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Maybe? I'm not old enough to have seen a 19 year old Akeem play but I'd venture that he was more athletically gifted than a 19 year old Sengun

Deckard, No Worries and gfab-babyboi like this.
  11. CXbby

CXbby Member

Untouchable to me means literally the word, won’t be traded for anyone. If we are talking about roster construction, between a shot blocking Sabonis vs a more athletic Beal/Lavine, it’s about even who you would be building around. You build around both. Sabonis being the better player, while Lavine/Beal being the bigger name/face of your team.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Clutch is absolutely correct in that there's one guy that's essentially the core and untouchable when you're looking through the lens of the current state Rockets specifically. That's the main point that matters.

Wishful thinking like someone would trade him for the likes of Morant or Luka etc is nothing more than common sense. But that doesn't take away JG being essentially "untouchable" because realistically trading for those guys using JG at this point just isn't happening, and obviously Clutch would be fully aware of that.

From the pov of the rockets he's absolutely untouchable. Wishful thinking trades that just aren't realistic doesn't change that at all.

topfive, kpdark, roxallways and 3 others like this.
  13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Since when did Sengun refuse to bang? He’s one of our most physical players and constantly seeks contact. He may not be as strong as some of the strongest players in the nba right now who are 10 years older than him, but that should come in time.

AroundTheWorld and xiki like this.
  14. CXbby

CXbby Member

So he’s untouchable except for the players that are obviously better than him. He’s untouchable for players worse than him, isn’t that true for every player? What does untouchable even mean. Like Tate is untouchable too if you were only offering players that are worse.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

nope. there's a ton of players that aren't stars that are better then JG right now. The rockets damn sure aren't trading him for them.

he's untouchable for the rockets because as a rebuilding team from scratch, you need to establish some piece to start with and as clutch as said he's that player for him and hes correct

Tate is far from untouchable. he's older and nothing more than a limited role player

kpdark likes this.
  17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I lack confidence that the FO, from TF thru Stone’s team, is locked in and committed to their plan to see it through completely.

Living a 1000 miles away these days I see a Halloween crowd ie fans disguised as empty seats, tv ads that rely heavily on promos and a cash flow source reliant on national tv $s and lux tax pot divided. Against a 2.3B$ nut.

I’m scared for the future of ‘my fanchise’.

There was fun with Stevie. Where’s the fun today?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Damn right he was

tinman and xiki like this.
  19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I don't even think it matters who your core is right now.

You basically have action items:

Wait on because you have time to develop
    Green, JC, Sengun, Garuba,

Trade Bait - Need to be moved as soon as possible
    Wood, Gordon

Wait out - do nothing
    Wall

Flux - Can stay or be traded in the hunt for a max guy.
    Mathews, Tate

You have to make a decision on soon. What is your dollar value here? To me, anything more than 12/13m and I am out on KPJ
    KPJ

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

You do if you know he is virtually untradeable, isn't in your future plans and will hurt your draft position.

Porter has cost the Rockets time coaching and minutes on the floor... that is about it. Also it isn't like there was another player burning for Porter's minutes.

alethios likes this.