1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Identifying the Rockets core

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I consider core to be the players that are expected to be around a while and will be built around. I expect that to be Jalen and Sengun. Sengun might never be a star, but I expect he'll be at least a starter with the Rockets for a while.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I understand where you are coming from, I just don't see Green as a future superstar caliber player.

He's put together several good games now and it has revived the idea of him reaching his Zach LaVine upside.... which is a very good player, a core player.... but not a superstar.

Also, I see the 3 young players as being complimentary. You have a combo guard, a traditional SG that may develop into a combo guard, and a skilled big man.

I think if they manage to add someone like Chet or Jabari Smith, they could make a truly frightening team in a few years..... and either of those players would compliment the 3 core players the Rockets currently have.

So I guess really the main disagreement is on Green's upside. If I thought he had superstar potential, and I didn't think those other 2 were complimentary to his game, I'd agree with you.

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

Agree, reluctantly. I don’t think Sengun has gotten a fair shot at it yet though.

Next season is a very pivotal step for many of these guys.

Haymitch and vator like this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

truth hammer just dropped

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

just so you know Lavine during his rookie season at the same age as Green averaged 5 less pts than him on lower efg% and ts%. So he scored significantly less on less efficiency.

His upside is absolutely higher than Lavine. Lavine in his rookie season wasn't doing in and out dribble move step back Js. He was more raw and doesn't have the same fluid movement as Green.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like Sengun too
    But when 60 year old Dream was training him, Dream looked like he could out muscle him now

steddinotayto likes this.
  7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

@Clutch If you see Green is the core player to build around, who in the draft do you want to build around him with the 2 1st rounders?

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

He's 19 years old and will get stronger in time. If this was a 27 year old Luis Scola coming over and getting manhandled by 60 year old Dream I'd be very concerned.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Clutch wants Smith.

Clutch likes this.
  10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun is a great passer but he can't shoot outside of 5 ft. He needs to improve his offensive game. I think KPJ and Green is a very good back court moving forward.

Also, I like Nix, Christopher and Wood. We need forwards and a center in the worst way

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Levine is not a superstar player, if you only get Levine - that is not getting great value for the number 2 pick. Levine was chosen 8, and he needed to be moved to another team to reach his potential.

IMHO, if you don't get a FRANCHISE level player at number 2, if there is one available, then the front office blew it.

DD

12. Denovo

Denovo Member

I see KP, Green and Sengun as our core tbh.

If better talent emerges than that core can change but as of right now that’s pretty much what it is.

13. jacoby

jacoby Member

We honestly have no idea if Sengun is part of our core because he never gets any runtime with Jalen.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Green is the only untouchable right now. I really like Sengun but he's not at that point yet for me.

jcmoon, red5rocket and YOLO like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im actually surprised @Clutch is coming around and warming up to Jalen!! Nice.

I'd keep Jalen, Sengun, KPJ, JC, Nix, Jae Sean, KJ, Billy Hoyle, and Garuba PLUS the new draftees. Run the young guns for a year or two (yes I know that having some vets is valuable). See who rises to the top and who is just a guy after that period. You should have a boatload of money to fill in the gaps with great FAs that will add experience and talent to the nucleus that will move on to contend and hopefully establish a dynasty of winning.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I know, I know, you think he's Kobe mixed with Michael Jordan mixed with God but better than all 3.

Noted.

17. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

I would add KMJ to the core simply because he plays smart and has the versatility to play multiple positions and fit well with whomever else will comprise the core long-term. I don't think "the core" should be limited to star-level players only, but also the glue guys and role players that every championship roster needs.

he's a great cutter, great on the break, good floor-spacer, good weak-side shot blocker, can match up against wings and smaller bigs, rarely makes bonehead decisions, gets his points efficiently and within the flow of the offense.

every team needs a guy like that.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

i don't know wtf any of you are talking about. Josh Christopher is clearly the core.

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I spent too much money on his autographed rookie cards the past couple of weeks. i hope you're right lol

Williamson and red5rocket like this.
  20. thekad

thekad Member

You know this is dumb right? There are only 10-12 franchise players in the league so there’s zero chance for there to even be two in every draft.

The point of drafting high is to get star caliber talent for cheap (ie outstripping the value of a rookie and then max contract), possibly hitting on a top 10 guy, and attracting a franchise player through trade/FA.

Milos, steddinotayto and jordnnnn like this.