1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Identifying the Rockets core

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 9, 2022.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

There aint nobody the brass wouldnt put on a bus for the right offer...

You build your core with the best you got - and upgrade as opportunities present themselves...

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I have to disagree,

I don't believe any of the current Rockets have proven themselves as part of the core / untouchable.

As for Green, he's been terrible most of the season .... yeah, he's been better lately - Better than bad - but not near enough improvement that I'm going to commit to building around the guy based upon a handful of better than bad games.

I lump Green in with the rest of the youth movement - None of them have earned anything other than an opportunity. We'll continue to evaluate, don't have any hard decisions to make any time soon.

aaquaa likes this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I still have faith in KPJ but man he needs to change up his shoes and maybe wear ankle braces.

Curry has been wearing ankle braces since his ankle injuries, you only notice it in close up pictures of his shoes, KPJ should really look into that. Big issue is he keeps going in and out of the lineup and has to find his rhythm every time he comes back.

Feels like every week he turns an ankle.

4. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

If he has only been “better than bad” since the all-star game, I would love to see your definition of “good.”

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

???

He hasnt been terrible MOST of the season. He has only been terrible the first month of the season after thats generally been an upward trajectory.

Right now for the season he is at 15 pts 52% TS 32% 3. That isnt great but isnt terrible either. Offensively his scoring efficiency is actually better than Cade who is no 2 in rookie rankings so yeah he aint bad. Mediocre or average for a rookie overall but def not bad.

The only thing I agree with you is the Rox arent in a position where they need to identify their core. Gun to my head it should be Green, KPJ and Sengun, but right now there's no need to make a choice since we can keep them all.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would put you all on HOLD until the Draft.

7. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

It is clear now it is Green + Sengun

But
    KPJ and Green can't play together
    Sengun and Wood can't play together

So you ship KPJ and Wood while they have value.

cryout75, javal_lon, aaquaa and 4 others like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Thanks, btw who do you think we could get for Sengun that would be a much better fit with Jalen that you'd consider a fair trade?

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

did you watch last years playoffs? it seems not...for those who did

you remember when cp3 beat lebron playing injured and literally with one hand, not even shooting 3 pointers?

Sengun is Cp3 of the bigs....

cp3 is far from quickest, and most agile PG, not the best shooter, hes short with not a great vertical...still one of the best in business if not the very best....

bb iq beats height/reach any day of the week...

aaquaa likes this.
  10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Why do say Green and KPJ can't play together?

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

All evidence is to the contrary, but for whatever reason, Jalen Green fans really hate KPJ. It seems to be purely irrational.... maybe it has to do with worrying about Josh Christopher's future?

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

you need perspective of how superstar guards do in the NBA when they are 19 in the league. Green's numbers aren't much different than them when they were 19 or 20.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is the ultimate stupid argument because these pretend trade discussions have a 0.0% chance of happening on either side even once trades are allowed again (trades are not currently allowed) You can do whatever speculative stuff you want because it's pure fantasy either way.

But if you're like @DaDakota and you spent months running down Green you need to do something to change the subject from your absolute crow for breakfast/lunch/dinner last few weeks.

aaquaa and conquistador#11 like this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

KPj does not know how to use the team’s biggest transition weapon, and that should be the easiest thing for a PG to do.

And indirectly, as floor general, he should tell Wood to stop running point in transition so often…he should step in for the rookie and talk for him. But he clearly doesn’t, because KPj and Wood have this thing going on and don’t want to give up control of transition.

it’s insane how much our elite transition player is relegated to Ariza’s role — just release early and go to the corner.

everyone on the team should also be told to let Green have the rebound, when it’s not contested and he’s going for it. Anyone who knows how transition works best, knows the best transition player getting the rebound is the fastest (and most secure) way to start and run a fastbreak.

KPj and Wood are not a good fit for a Green-focused transition game. They can be, but they have to adjust.

That’s definitely one aspect he’s undisputed centerpiece.
    There is no disputing that Green is (or should be) our centerpiece on transition.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Exactly it took Dennis Schroder - who isn't exactly Bob Cousy - all of 1 period to figure out that an open Green sprinting up the right wing is very much a good thing and that it's not just so that he can spot up in the corner.

Meanwhile Porter and Wood have had 60 games and they still don't get it.

Tate also is notoriously bad about heading upfield for the endzone with blinders on.

#195 SamFisher, Mar 10, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
  16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Some of you guys still aren’t sold on Green? Geez. But he hasn’t won MVP yet….

Green is probably the whole list.

I believe in Sengun’s talent to be on the list as well. He should take more of Wood’s minutes.

I’m encouraged by KPJ’s blending with Green. They’ve been able to have simultaneous good games without getting in each other’s way. I’m not sure that KPJ is the point guard next to Green long term but I think they can exist together. Would love to see Nix get Gordon’s minutes the rest of the year and have the 3 of them play together.

17. sydmill

sydmill Member

@Clutch: Who were the core pieces in the Rockets championship run in the 90s? Was it just Dream or were Kenny, Vernon, Horry, Cassell and Elie part of the core? I would say that they were as I define core as guys who you expect to get real minutes (15+) game in and game out for the foreseeable future. In my view this makes the core include KPJ and Sengun. If the core is simply the guy or guys that you focus on building around then you are probably right that its pretty much Green atm.

And now I put on my flame suit. I think you have to project these young guys out a little to see what you think you might have in order determine if they are worth being a part of a core. While it is hard to project 20 or 21 year old players, I think there are some obvious comps for both KPJ and Sengun. And while neither is going to end being exactly like the guy I am comparing them to I think you have to atleast consider that, if things go right, they might reach similar levels of production. Its not scientific but its the best I got sitting at my desk avoiding emails on a Thursday morning. Anyway:

KPJ and Lonzo Ball - Both guys are about 6'6'' with around 6'9'' wingspans. Great size and length for the 1. KPJ has a little more sand in his pants than Lonzo and is probably the better athlete of the two but I dont think there is a tremendous difference between the two from a body perspective. Looking at their stats they are eerily similar there too. I am using KPJ's stats this year given its his only one as a full time pg. See below:

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm...yer_id2=balllo01&p2yrfrom=2019#stats-per_game

While no two situations are exactly the same, these guys are putting up basically the same numbers. Now keep in mind that this is KPJ's first season as a PG whereas Lonzo had been a 1 for considerably longer. Also, KPJ is playing for, essentially, a bottom feeder and Lonzo's Lakers were a near .500 team. All of this is to say that I see a lot of Lonzo Ball in KPJ and I think such a player would be presumed to be in the future plans of a team like the Rockets as more than an afterthought.

Sengun and Domantas Sabonis - Again, physically both guys are pretty close. Both are 6'10''-ish without great length or athleticism. Both guys use skill and IQ over being able to outclass their opponents by being bigger, faster, stronger. A comparision of their stats (used rookie years for both) below:

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm...er_id2=sabondo01&p2yrfrom=2017#stats-per_game

With all the caveats from above here, these are guys whose games, bodies and production at near the same age is comparable enough to draw an inference about Sengun's future I believe. And, again, I think such a player would have to be in the Rockets long term plans.

cmoak1982 and Boii like this.
  18. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Guess @heypartner and @SamFisher sees what I do, and they already answered and a much better way than I will:

KPJ is not a Point. Green plays better with Schroeder and even played better with DJ AUGUSTIN.
    Not enough time with NIX, but my bet is that it will be.
    The matches that KPJ were decisive with Green, it was because KPJ was on fire with his shots.
    KPJ, GREEN AND JC ARE ALL SHOOTING GUARDS AND WILL STRUGGLE PLAYING PG OR SF

My wish for next year lineup:

PG Star player via trade (a true PG to run the floor with young guys, the first priority)
    SG Green
    SF Matthews/Tate in realistic scenario, but find better in trade, if possible.
    PF (Draft Jabari / Chet / Banchero)
    C Sengun
    6th JC (like EG and Lou Willians once were).

Everyone else should be traded for the starter PG and solid role/veteran players for all positions.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. H. Christopher

Keep in mind Clutch didn't want Sengun to begin with.

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

It's actually a bit better, at 53%, which is higher than Anthony Edward's TS% from last season despite Edward's post all-star break leap.

However, as you say, it's really his first month (and few games here and there after) that were truly terrible. Cade, who's basically ranked 2nd or 3rd in most rookie charts, is below TS 50% (49.6%) for the season, and Giddey also below TS 50%, and both of these guys have literally twice the amount of touches on the court than Green, which allows them to rack up rebound and assist numbers.

Green has pretty much been on a ridiculous upward rise, surpassing even Edward's post all-star break growth. Of course, this is assuming he keeps it up.

roslolian likes this.