1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ideal starting lineup next season..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Phamilton82, Apr 5, 2022.

1. Landry's Tooth

I noticed you didn't mention the defense, rebounding, or passing...

It's fine to focus on scoring if you're ok with losing games... this team has a defense problem....

D-rock likes this.
  2. Landry's Tooth

Why are you assuming he will be awesome at everything?

I'm being cautiously optimistic... you're being a homer...

3. Landry's Tooth

He's closer to lou williams than kobe. There's a huge gap between them...

I mentioned lou because like Green, there's little defense, rebounding, or passing skills... professional scorer and efficient...

Green has a lot more upside but he has to take that step still...

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Point me to where I said he was going to be awesome at everything. Thanks.

You’re asking why he doesn’t do everything well right now in his rookie season. You’re not being cautiously optimistic, you’re being contrarian in spite of the evidence in front of you.

5. Landry's Tooth

I'm curious if Bulls would do this, but would add some defense at the 3.....

To Bulls: Wood, Brooklyn pick
    To Rockets: Patrick Williams, Coby White

Bulls have a log jam in backcourt... Coby seems like similar situation as Porter... not sure long term role...

PG: White
    SG: Green
    SF: Williams
    PF: Smith
    C: Sengun

Bench
    Porter
    Gordon?
    Tate
    Martin
    Christopher
    Garuba

6. Landry's Tooth

You said he wouldn't be a one dimensional player like Lou...

He probably won't be, but he has a lot of room to improve... tyreke evans is an example of why you can't assume growth or improvement...

7. Landry's Tooth

You mean efficient scorers who do little else?

Green clearly has much higher upside, but he's not averaging 6 rebounds, 5 assists, and a couple steals...

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So to you there is no difference between a player who only scores at 15 ppg and a player who only scores at 25-30 ppg(what seems to be the projection of Green's career as he already is averaging bear 20 on decent efficiency his 19 year old rookie season which is incredibly rare.

So you want a 19 year old rookie guard to average near 20 ppg with 5 assists and 5 rebounds? You do know that is only like LeBron level territory for rookies at least in the modern NBA.

So because Jalen Green isn't having a LeBron like rookie season, he know fits the career mold of Lou ****ing Williams who took almost a decade in the league to crack 20 ppg?

Are you serious dude or gaslighting?

BigM likes this.
  9. fchowd0311

I think you have a severe lack of understanding what rookies are capable of unless they are literally once in a generation type of player a la LeBron.

For every Tyreke Evans who posted similar rookie numbers to Green, there are 5 others who also posted similar numbers to rookie green who are either current All-stars or hof players.

What Green is doing his rookie year in terms of scoring is not common.

10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

In his SECOND season, Kobe averaged 15 points, 3 boards, 2.5 assists, and .9 steals. For comparison…

D-rock and groovemachine like this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is why I prefer Chet. He doesn't need the ball to be effective and he's still an amazing prospect but he's a fit as well.

With Green and Sengun likely on this team for a long time (we can hope) you can imagine any future offense being built around these two having the ball a lot...then next year you have KPJ (who I feel won't be here for long) and you have a mess of adding someone like Paolo to the mix or someone that needs the ball to be effective.

Chet is just a dude that can help you win games while averaging 10ppg...of course we hope he can develop more of an offensive game but I really love the idea of a Chet and Sengun front court.

With that said, just like last year, I'll be happy with anyone we draft if we get a top 3 pick.

AroundTheWorld, D-rock, Boii and 2 others like this.
  12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

5) Sengun
    4) Jabari, Chet or Paolo
    3). Christopher, KJ Martin or Tate
    2). Green
    1). Tyus Jones
    6th man - KPJ

use Wood, Gordon and Brooklyn pick to move up and get Duren.

Segun, 2022 top 3 big, Duren and Garuba anchor our front court. Tyus Jones, Green and KPJ anchor our backcourt. We rotate Christopher, KJ Martin and Tate at the 3.

#112 Aruba77, Apr 6, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. Landry's Tooth

Luka did it... tyreke did it at 20...

Not as rare as you think...

Btw, when someone says closer to lou williams than kobe, that doesn't mean they will be lou williams...

Words matter... read closer...

14. fchowd0311

You repeat the same guy and then add Luka a generational level talent.

Ya like I said what Green is doing his rookie year at his age, only a handful of players didn't pan out to be at the very least all-star level players. Most were at the least Lavine, Beal level players.

15. Landry's Tooth

Adjusting for minutes?

Their efficiencies are virtually the same (2pt/3pt%) kobe (45.6/34.1) jalen (49.8/34.5). Jalen shoots more 3s...

The difference is kobe was a better defender, passer, and rebounder at the same age.

Jalen is really thin... he needs more body on him... i hope he develops those parts of his game but it's not a given...

16. Houston77

Supporting Member

In what universe is nearly .5 the same as .45? Not to mention Green’s efficiency numbers have skyrocketed lately.

17. Landry's Tooth

So you're defending green by saying he's not a generational talent because he's not the all round game of luka?

Or R.O.Y. tyreke for that matter?

Are you a homer or hater?

18. Landry's Tooth

It's promising; but to ignore data you don't like and projecting small samples isn't a reasonable conclusion...

19. Houston77

Supporting Member

Ignoring data? You literally said that .45 is the same as .5.

20. fchowd0311

I think you comparing him to Lou Williams is incredibly stupid and most likely just a way for you to create a reaction.

If you said "he's another Lavine" then your sentiment would be at least within the realm of reality and something Green definitely can pigeon hole himself into (though he's having himself a significantly better rookie season than rookie Lavine) if he doesn't expand on his playmaking if he wants to reach that Luka level(future perennial top five player). But Lou ****ing Williams?

#120 fchowd0311, Apr 6, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2022