1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ideal starting lineup next season..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Phamilton82, Apr 5, 2022.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Lol wut.

You do know that Lou Williams didn't match rookie 19-20 year old Green's output and efficiency in scoring until like his 9th year in the league.

Comparing their rookie numbers would be absolutely laughable. Might as well do it just to show how ridiculous that statement is:
    Green: 17 ppg on 55% ts
    Williams;
    2 ppg on 48% ts.

Like come on dude why say something so stupid? Green is a rocket not some opposing player to discredit. He's on your team. Why do this?

#81 fchowd0311, Apr 6, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    javal_lon and conquistador#11 like this.
  2. Landry's Tooth

So you're saying Green is closer to Kobe?

I suspect you didn't fuy understand the context... i wasn't saying he was literally Lou Williams. I'll rephrase for you...

Jalen Green, due to limitations in his game other than scoring, may have a role more as a 6 man off the bench to bring some offense to a second unit.

I noticed you talked about his scoring efficiency and not his defense, rebounding, or passing... seems to prove my point...

3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

LOL. He literally pointed out that Lou Williams was nowhere NEAR the offensive player Green already is until WAY later in his career, and you have the audacity to bring up "context" in defense of your stupid comparison?

Yes, Green will be closer to Kobe than Lou Williams. Fight me.

HeyBudLetsParty and fchowd0311 like this.
  4. fchowd0311

Yes Green is closer to Kobe Bryant his rookie year than mother ****ing Lou Williams.

You do know there are different levels of scoring right? For example Jalen Green at 19 years old is matching the scoring output and efficiency of 29 year old veteran scorer Jordan Clarkson.

Like there's Lou Williams and then there is the Mcgrady, Lavine, Mitchell level of player.

Lou Williams makes zero sense even if you think all Green can do is score. Because the point is he can score a lot more prolifically and effectively than Lou Williams. Lou Williams cracked 20+ ppg on his age 30 season. Green will more than likely crack 20+ ppg in his age 20 season. It's an immense gap and you should be ashamed at such a stupid comparison. Just please admit you are trolling and trying to create reactions for the mental health of this message board.

5. fchowd0311

He has to be trolling right?
    You trolling @Landry's Tooth?

God I hope you are.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Wow. Props to you for having this bad of a take this late in the game. Beautiful.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I love when people dig in on bad takes.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You guys are way harsh.

more of a Lou Williams / Corey Brewer hybrid. Free speech / free opinions people.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  9. fchowd0311

Jordan Clarkson ceiling.

10. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

I see that many continue to think of Chet as our first choice in the draft. I still think the kid is incredibly talented, but his body keeps worrying me. Considering there's a lot of talent at the top of this draft, I don't think it's worth taking such a big risk. Again, I'm not saying the guy doesn't have talent (he has loads of it), I'm saying his body is a very big red flag.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  11. Landry's Tooth

So ignore 75% of the game?

To make an extreme example of you, Dennis Rodman is closer to Wilt Chamberlain because of his rebounding than Mark Eaton...

12. Landry's Tooth

Ah yes, scoring efficiency... let's ignore rebounding, defense, and passing and stay in the lottery for the next 12 years....

13. Landry's Tooth

It's not always healthy to have the self love...

14. Landry's Tooth

What did I say about Porter is inaccurate?

You seemed to have left that out of your very detailed response...

15. fchowd0311

Dude, why is this the hill you want to die on? You compared Green to mother ****ing Lou Williams who took 9 seasons to reach the current output of Green in his 19-20 year old rookie season.

Stop it. And what is up with so many modern NBA fans completely dismissing the importance of scoring as a talent? I don't give a fick if Green is an above average rebounder. We drafted him because he is destined to be a prolific scorer in the same mold as Mcgrady or Kobe.

BigM likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

I think he was referencing your take that Green is like Lou Williams.

BigM likes this.
  17. eman

eman Contributing Member

1 DONTE DIVINCENZO, Nix
    2 Green, Christopher
    3 JABARI SMITH, Tate, KMart, Nwaba
    4 Wood, Fernando (or maybe Fernando, Wood)
    5 Sengun, WALKER KESSLER

I'd like to see the above rotation develop. New kids in all caps; shipping out KPJ, Schroder, Wall for picks. If Sengun and Kessler really work on those pick-and-pop 3s, our PGs could have shooters all over the court.

Coach: JVG. Think transition buckets, harness all that athleticism.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  18. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I don't know about "ideal," but something like this I think is realistic.

KPJ / Nix
    Green / Christopher
    Tate / Matthews
    Top 3 Pick (Chet, Smith, or Banchero) / KMJ
    Sengun / Garuba

Add the Nets' pick somewhere to that second group depending on position. Don't really expect Gordon and Wood to be back, especially the latter. If Wood stays, things get more complicated, whereas Gordon can easily slot into the first or second group.

I guess "ideally," it would be nice for the Rockets to trade up and land another wing like Murray or Sochan to replace Tate.

#98 Houston77, Apr 6, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    red5rocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind putting Porter and Green back in the starting lineup together next season. For one, there isn't a "traditional" point guard on the free agency market this summer that we can either afford or confidently say "he's a significant upgrade to the starting lineup". The other, if Sengun rightfully takes one of the starting spots in the front court we have another above average passer that can make things easier for Porter and Green.

I really want to give KMJ the starting SF spot because the way Silas toyed with his PT throughout the season--especially after his better-than-expected performance last year--was downright criminal. At the very least he can give you what Tate has this season as a starter but I expect more out of Martin. But I think this ultimately depends on who we'll take in the draft:

1. If it's Holmgren you can experiment with a Chet/Sengun/KMJ front court and see how that materializes. If Porter maintains or improves upon the defense he's shown us this year then that's three projected average to above average defenders in Porter, Martin and Holmgren. My concern is that Green and/or Sengun don't improve enough on that end of the court which would lead to the team having to rely on Holmgren more than I'd like for his rookie year.

2. If it's Jabari we end up taking I would look at finding a short or long term defender solution up front so that Houston can play Sengun and Smith at the same time...almost like what Cleveland ran with Markannen/Mobley/Allen.

3. If it's Banchero, I hate to say it but I'd have Sengun come off the bench as the 6th man. If Banchero's defense is as subpar as people make it out to be (especially in comparison to Smith or Holmgren) then we can't afford to have both Paolo and Alperen on the court for long runs. I'd probably roll with Porter, Green, Martin, Banchero and center TBD.

4. If it's Ivey then you have your guard/wing lineup of Ivey, Green, Porter starting so now you need to size up and keep Sengun in the starting lineup. You would most definitely have to find and sign a free agent center in this scenario.

Of course this is going with the assumption that Wood won't be on the team next season and our Brooklyn pick won't be a possibility of being a day 1 starter.

saleem and D-rock like this.
  20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Green as a rookie is scoring in a way that’s nearly unprecedented for his experience and 100% for his age. He’s demonstrated elite 3 level scoring that will very likely lead the league in scoring multiple times. His floor is Zach Levine and you’re asking about Lou Williams like you haven’t watched a Rockets game since January. Not to mention the flashes of ability he’s shown as an offensive initiator and an individual defender. He’s 20 years old and you’re wondering why he’s not awesome at everything yet.

AroundTheWorld and saleem like this.