1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ideal starting lineup next season..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Phamilton82, Apr 5, 2022.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Or proves you weren't seeing what you thought you were seeing.

I notice many posters see what they want to see - self fulfilling prophecy thing.

Often happens in game thread.

lionaire likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

What is even the point of comparing efficiency stats between a rookie guard and someone who played their entire career?

Again Lou Williams needed 9 years in the NBA to match current 20 year old rookie Green in pts and production.

AroundTheWorld and eliefor3 like this.
  3. mightybosstone

Running through some comments, and I had to pause at this one. I can see some justification for starting Wall at PG, even if I disagree with it. As a playmaker, he's probably the best true point guard on the roster, and if he plays well, maybe he increases his trade value ahead of the deadline. But I've never heard someone call him a "great shooter." Dude is a career 32.3% 3-point shooter who shot even worse than that last season and shot 40.4% overall from the floor last year. You can justify it, but not based on his shooting.

Also, if they were going to start Wall, they would have done it already, IMO. He's had all season to get minutes and hasn't stepped on the floor once. So overall, it's just not very likely to happen.

4. H. Christopher

Schroeder
    Green
    KPJ
    Sengun
    Chet

Not ideal but possible

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Greens defense and rebounding is already way better than Lou's ever was. I actually think their passing is about equal at the moment, and we are comparing a rookie player to a vet.

eliefor3 likes this.
  6. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Sengun
    Chet
    Traded for new SF
    Green
    Trade for new PG

Everything else traded
    Then I am happy

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I like a couple of the passes to KMJ and the alley-oop to Green from that clip. Passes to Sengun and Tate wide-open behind the 3 point line don't really scream playmaker to me. I'd rather the Rockets experiment with trying KPJ as the SF or a backup guard. Even when he is having a great scoring game, he didn't appear to be getting other guys easy looks last night.

eliefor3 and D-rock like this.
  8. Yetti

Yetti Member

It ll depends on the Houston Rockets Management !
    If Wood does not expect too much increase in his contract I would expect that he
    will be with us for several seasons more, as he is one of our best players.
    I feel sure after two seasons with the same team Coach, it should be obvious to all
    that he is lacking in ability,especially if we are looking forward to becoming a promising
    champion team. Coach Silas has shown little credit for Bruno Fernando during the recent games
    and keeps playing Sengun and Garuba, both have of them have limited basketball knowledge.
    Silas has made little or no effort to develop team basketball, shown by so many greedy playing of so many of our
    players. It is time to move him along. I hope the team management is thinking along this lines.
    Regarding having Sengun in the starting line up I see it will be several seasons needed to develop his playing abilty
    If we select a strong Center in the draft then Wood would play the starting Power Forward..Y

9. Landry's Tooth

As a one dimensional basketball player sure... you're proving my point... i noticed you're not talking about his ball handling, rebounding, passing, or on ball defense...

Kind of proves my point. It also seems to go over your head that calling him at 19 better than one of the greatest 6 men of all time is a compliment, not an insult.

I think you're close to being ignored. You picked a fight over a simple misunderstanding of the English language and are too stuborn to back down.

It's getting boring...

10. Landry's Tooth

I agree it's vastly overrated. He was awful with scouting reports.

But he was a capable defender when locked in and focused... Green will be someday probably...

11. Landry's Tooth

Lou's number isn't prime... it includes his down production late in his career.

But thank you for making the point that reinforces what i said, green is better.

What's your problem exactly other than agreeing with me?

12. Landry's Tooth

Not sure why you combine the two?

Williams had a higher ts% in his 5th season, not 9th.

He didn't play much his first couple seasons as his team wasn't tanking...

The scoring per 36 was higher in Lou's 4th season.

Probably why i said green is better, huh?

Using Jalens 54.6 ts% and 19.3 points/36, lou had 9 of his 17 seasons over 19.3 and 8 over 54.6%.

That's prime lou v rookie jalen... no one doubts Jalen has much higher upside...

I hope he gets there and doesn't pull a tyreke...

13. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

If Porter wants to move off the ball, then he can have his final year, otherwise move on from him.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

All makes sense now. You just need some clarity.

The game is 50% defense and 50% offense. Everything else is a sub category of those two categories. EVERYTHING.

Rebounds are the 2nd least important stat in all of basketball. You would rather be a better scorer, passer, defender, shotblocker, better at getting to the line, making 3's, even mid range shots. The only thing you'd rather have a rebound over is a steal. You can grab 30 rebounds, if you are a limited scorer and a bad defender you are out of the league. Ask Kenneth Faried. Nothing impact winning less than steals and rebounds, nothing. To say defense, rebounding and assists is 75% of the game is a joke.

Green is a pure SG average 2.6/2.1 asst/to after an atrocious first half. Regularly getting 3-5 assists these days. He's going to be among the best passers at the SG position, anyone can see that.

Green is an A+ on offense and looking above average on defense. That's 100% of the game.

With such a fundamental misunderstanding of the game, I can forgive your horrible take.

15. fattz

fattz Member

Read the whole response. It states limited minutes in a system. Wall’s shooting will improve a lot when he is not trying to play 1 on 3 like most of last year. Wall can hit a spot up jumpers with the best of them. I truly believe he took the season off because he sees Silas as a clown. His good friend Cousins moved on quickly when he could have started for us but chose unemployment for a while till he got on with another team where he has found some success. Silas and Stone keep Wall away because he will expose them as the amateurs they truly are.

Wall is not going anywhere because he can’t (contract is to big). I believe Wall would rather not play then be coached by Silas. Wall is quite and that speaks really loudly.

16. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Proves he has a nice stretch going... just like Green... or any other player with talent ..

17. Landry's Tooth

Wow, i bet you think Tate is up for defensive player of the year or something...

Sorry, I'm a fan but recognize flaws like arguing rebounds are irrelevant as if giving the ball to the other team and possessions don't matter...

Btw, check before you type...

Assists/game by month for Jalen:

One month over 3 and it dipped recently.

His scoring is up as is his usage...

His rebounds went up 3 consecutive months but that's meaningless to you...

Anyone can see a player with 3 games all season with more than 5 assists is one of the best passers sgs?

Sgs with more assists...

Derrick white
    Reggie jackson
    Donovan mitchell
    Josh Giddey (veteran right?)
    Devin booker
    Terry rozier
    Cj mccollum
    Jordan poole
    Will barton
    Anthony edwards
    Brad beal
    Tyler herro

Do i need to keep going?

#118 in the league overall....

18. Landry's Tooth

Just curious... Josh Giddey is 19 and he's getting 7.8 rebounds and 6.4 assists playing virtually the same minutes as Jalen. Is Jalen not good enough to do it?

Or is he focused on scoring primarily so it limits him?

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

So, at least you understand now it was stupid to make a big deal about rebounds. Yes it's important, but it's the least important. Factually. That's not a debate.

Yes Jalen is going to be a better passer than most of those guys when he gets to run the offense for most of his games. He spent 75% of the season off ball, do you watch basketball and know how it works?

Should I let it slide that you slipped Giddey in there knowing full well he's a high usage PG who cannot play any other position? Reggie Jackson who has never played SG? Because I am 100% certain you knew it when you typed it, but I'd rather just let people see how much you're stretching.

20. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

This to me is deceiving. I didn't take notes but
    4 passed to senguin in the post
    2 passes to players being guarded
    2 passes where he was forced to give up the ball

There were some other where he is just swinging the ball but I'll leave their alone. The first 6 above atleast are def not him creating

javal_lon likes this.