1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Idea to help the forums

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by larsv8, Nov 8, 2013.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I don't know if you're just being facetious or not. But I envision an invite-only forum where reputable members could just post news and analysis. Everyone could read it, but only those picked by mods could post in it. What's the point of posting in a sub-forum if only 5 other people can read it?

(However, invite-only seems much less labor-intensive on the mods, rather than letting everyone in and then having to kick out the annoying posters one-by-one.)

The GARM could remain as the mad-house for discussing all post-game reaction and wild trade ideas.

1 person likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Maybe being able to talk about other posters? I can't think of another reason why not to make it read-only for others, if it exists. No, I am not being facetious, just speculating...but I just noticed that certain posters post a lot less in the GARM although they are still around.

I think if a forum like this (which only a small number of "good GARM posters" post in, but nobody else can read it) exists, it totally contributes to the decline of the GARM because the very good GARM posters who would really set an example probably mainly post there, unless it's a "feature" article of Clutchfans or they really want to reach a wider audience.

Only Clutch could tell you if it exists. But if he had wanted it to be known, I guess it would be known...if it exists.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

What that means is they have no desire to participate in the mass psychosis that is the GARM lately.

And I can reassure you that there is no very active hidden forum that is keeping all those missing members from posting in the main forum.....just the stupidity that is pushing any hope for decent talk aside in the GARM.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Any comments on the idea of a public, but invitation to post forum?

5. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

Having read-only access to that kind of forum would be amazing! (If it existed)

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I think we wouldn't need one if everyone just ignored bad posts and bad threads.
    Report if over the line, ignore and hope the thread dies if it is just plain stupid.

You aren't the first to suggest this, and it hasn't happened yet.
    What does that tell you?

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I agree, if everyone was able to collectively look past it, and continue on course it would be manageable, however I am not sure that is happening or will happen in the future because this has been an option from the beginning, and things have not been getting better, they have been getting worse (from my perspective anyway).

And while I personally will try and do so going forward, this does not help with quality posters who have been driven away already. They seemingly feel that it is simply not worth it which is a detriment overall to the community.

I was aware a Lin sub forum suggestion, however I was not aware my idea had been suggested before, so this is new information to me. With said new information, it tells me that mods don't feel this is a good idea, however it leaves any reasoning or justification lacking.

What I would be hoping for would be something along the lines of " We discussed it and decided it was not a good idea because _____________"

8. SK34

SK34 Member

I agree that the GARM isn't as good as it used to be. No quality posts as every other post is either bashing Lin or Bev.
    I usually just go to the hangout and nba dish.

I like the idea of the restrictive forum but how do you manage it?
    -is it going to be by rep?
    -is it going to be join date?
    -is it going to be by being a contributing member?

-rep doesn't work because a lot of people get reps for different reasons. Even some bad posters are able to rep others. I've received rep before cause I wrote once "Lin should start".. But id like to think I'm a quality poster regardless.
    -join date could work but then some quality posters that joined later on won't get a chance.
    -any body can be a contributing member. It will surely raise revenue for the site tho. But it will also allow these "contributing members" to feel like they deserve to see the thread even if they don't make quality posts/threads.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think Clutch needs to make it more difficult to join. I'm not sure how it is at the moment, but the board should have a (longer?) waiting period just to be cleared as a user. Then, they and everyone else should make a mandatory $1.00 contribution to (re)activate their usernames, so they can post. Finally, only true contributing members with x amount of days as a member should be able to start threads.

Or some variation of that. That should keep knee jerkers away and limit their threads, as that may be too much trouble for them.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm just going to report every bull**** post I see.

Who cares about ratting...this isn't da hood. If it were, the GARM is trending towards the Wire.

Let the mods sort it out and decide if they want a read only forum.

11. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I have close to 200 on my ignore list and it really doesn't help. Almost every thread is destroyed by the constant bickering. And it's not just the Lin fan's, it's also the ultra negative poster that gets to be ridiculous after a while. Some posters just go from one thread to another all day long and post "McFail" over and over again.

The Rockets are 4-3 and the season has just started, I think there is a lot to be excited about, but the GARM isn't really a place for discussion these days.

12. napalm06

That you mods disagree with the idea... for secret reasons being discussed in a secret forum?

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, we discuss the Rox now in the Styx forum, but since we have to use Styx lyrics, it's kind of limiting. I still can't tell if "Mr Roboto" refers to McHale's look or Harden's defense. :(

14. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

It's funny, you guys are always angry that the garm is full of useless threads, but when I post a 2000 word thread with stats to help it out, clutchfans just completely ignore it.

Dissapointing to say the least.

15. Man

Man Contributing Member

I'm guessing this has been discussed, but sounds like it'd be helpful to call out top-rated posts in threads.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Too much eye popping garbage overcrowds the other posts on the forum list.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is it possible to have a reversed ignore system, where you have the option of ignoring everyone except the ones you subscribe to?

18. napalm06

LOL. Funny stuff

The problem with the ignore list is that I don't read enough of the GARM to decide who to ignore. I don't know who started all the poop flinging in any given thread, I just open it and see massive stupidity. I don't really want to just start arbitrarily ignoring everyone who posts something that I disagree with.

19. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

And that they're GOAT after every win! :grin:

20. SK34

SK34 Member

I realized that good threads usually end up going to page 2 within 3 hrs of it being posted.