1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Idea for Help for Small Forward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by stevel, Oct 30, 2004.

1. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Radman is a more likely target than Shard. Radman's not happy - no deal with Sonics on contract. He might move at the trade deadline.

Radman for Boki or Boki + Gaines or Lue, whatever.

(then seperate deal )

TE for a bad contract (Potepenko?).

Seattle cuts salary. Seattle takes a flyer on the Bokinator in an offense that will let him slash. If he doesn't work out, eh. Salary dump.

I'd personally love to get Antonio Daniels and Radman, but I don't know what package we can sell to Seattle. Fortson is in the way. If we swapped him for Howard, they might like that. Of course, then we'd need a power forward. Fortson is a horrible clog in the paint - we couldn't use him.

If not this deal, then sooner or later, we need a young three that can shoot. I suppose we could try to make a deal with Denver to try Tskitishvilli - but he can't shoot, either. He's in the same boat as Boki - no extension - he just younger and taller. Radman is a good target for the offseason with Daniels, I suppose, if they can't work anything on a trade during the season.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Can Radman defend perimeter SFs? Another great shooter though. How many of them are in the league?

3. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

James Posey does not look bad now at 6mil per year.....

Seattle won't deal Rashard yet, maybe later....

4. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I agree. Radman will get burned way too much to be playing sf's in the league...they will blow right by him if he tries to defend.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Would you want to build a team around Mo Taylor and a low first round pick?

6. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I have been looking at J. Jones alot lately. The Lakers have ALOT of 2's & 3's so I would think they would part with him easily, especially since he was a throw-in to the Payton deal. He has Finals experience with the Sixers, can shoot allright from the perimeter, but he is a real good defender. He would be an ideal fit as a backup to JJ.

I don't know about Eisley. For some reason, I just can't picture him becoming a Rocket. Plus, there are alot of rumors that he will be signing with Utah anyway. E. Robinson looks like will be headed to Miami from what I have read around the net.

7. drpepper

drpepper Member

how about trading Mo or Howard for Mike Miller. Memphis already has Battier, Posey, and Bonsi (not to mention recent acquisitions of Ryan Humpheries, Andre Emmett, and Brian Cardinal). I remember Tmac and Miller played very well together in Orl. before he was traded. What they don't have are any real 4's besides Swift(no post moves) and Gasol, who logs alot of minutes at the 5 because big Jake averages 45 games a season.

Mo/Howard and Boki/Gaines for Mike Miller and Troy Bell/Dahntay Jones.

Obviously other players and/or picks would have to be included depending on we send, but I think it fills a need on both teams.

8. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't they trade PF Gooded to get Miller? Going back to MoT would be not much more than a lateral move for more money.

9. h-townfan

h-townfan Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind taking a change with Eddie Robinson. Maybe playing for a winning team could motivate him.

10. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I personally would want someone like Bruce Bowen. Plays great D, can hit the open 3, team player. Putting in another great player like Shard is just asking for trouble. Remember the last time we had 3 all stars together on the same floor? Shandon Anderson should soon be available BTW, and yes I know he was a disaster last time in Houston, but with SF and Cat gone, who knows. The guy is athletic, can play the 2 and 3 spot. Plus he can be had for a very cheap price I think. If Sura hadn't gotten hurt, we wouldn't even be talking about this, but them's the breaks.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Radman is a 3, particularly in his mind. Collison is a ROY hopeful. Shard is injured.

If Shard were traded I could more likely see a deal with Indy.

I think Sonics will be broken up big time next summer.

12. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

D'Antoni, the Phoenix coach, is a big Boki fan if I recall. Neither Boki nor Joe Johnson had their options picked up. Why not swap the two with other considerations thrown in if necessary?

I like Boki's potential, but I like Joe Johnson's too. It will make Lil Pun happy...

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I was surprised about Joe Johnson's contract not getting picked up as well. The only thing I can fathom is that they will try to sign him long term now instead of possibly paying the max after the extension would have run out.

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Regardless of how much D'Antonio likes Boki I would think that he would know that he could get substantially more for JJ than Boki. But I would certainly pull the trigger on a deal like that in a heartbeat.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

ain'ta gonna happen, no way.

16. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

The reason I proposed this was because of his salary. He is frankly overpaided, as is MoT. The difference is MoTs contract is shorter by 2 years. Also, don't under-estimate the value of a low-post scorer. One of the Rockets coaches is a friend of mine, and I asked him once if Mo had trade value. His reponse was "Oh yea, definitely. Mo can score on anyone on the low block and there is a need for that in the league" That is word for word his reply.

Additionally, Seattle was in the bidding for him when we originally signed him as a FA. I know they have Collison, BUT he is coming off a season ending shoulder injury, and shoulder injuries are very serious for a B-ball player, especially a guy that play in the paint. Fortson is a great rebounder but has VERY limited offensive skills. Radman is an outside shooter with little scoring ability in the post, but he is a nice player.

I think that MoT fills a need for them, and I think the Lewis fills a need for us. After watching the preseason we need spot up shooters and Lewis is a good one. He is also a good rebounder. He is not a strong perimeter defender but now that zones are legal we could use his length to our advantage. Plus it allows JJ to be our 6th man. Lewis is redundant on their team. They have Allen, Radman, Murray, Daniels, etc.. How many perimeter shooters do you need when you have NOTHING in the paint.

I know our pick would be out of the lottery but it could be packaged with theirs (which will be in the lottery) to move up or could be used in another trade.

Remember, you typically have to give up more to get a good big man, that's just how the NBA works. I can not think of a better 4 Seattle could acquire using Lewis as bait.

17. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

He would need to improve his D, but we could use more zone defenses. IF we were to acquire him look at our height

Yao 7'6"
    Howard 6'9"
    Lewis 6'9"
    T-mac 6'9"
    Sura (when healthy) 6'5"

That is a tall athletic team. JJ could excel as a 6th man at the 2/3. Spoon is a physical 6 fouls off the bench with a decent jumper. If we could do it, I think this makes us the top team in the west.

18. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Also to your point stevel, I browsed a Sonic board a few weeks back just for the hell of it, and there were alot of talk about the team possibly being sold to other owners, in which case they will be trying to unload some contracts. If this is true, I think guys like Ray Allen and Lewis won't be there past this season- or sooner.

19. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Rashard Lewis can be had, and Mo Taylor isn't unmovable, but there's no way the Sonics will go for a deal with Rashard and Mo Tay as principals unless there's some serious salary dumping involved or more talent going to Seattle. If Maurice was in the last year of his contact, it would be another story, or if the TE was big enough to take on Fortson (which it isn't, unfortunately).

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

How tall is he when not healthy?