1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'd think a player like Dirk Nowitzky would have at least explored the option of Houston.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, Jul 12, 2014.

1. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I'm with everyone else in terms of the terrible feeling that hit me when I hit my twitter feed and saw that Woj had confirmed the Bosh Miami deal. I can understand Bosh taking the max 5 year contract although he has no shot at a championship.

Then there are players like Dirk that would prefer an inferior team at much less money. From what I have heard we have offered him a max contract in terms of money per year. Dirk c'mon man you aren't getting any younger why would you make such an idiotic decision. Dirk would be an ideal fit with the Rockets...just think about the type of ppg we would be able to generate. Immediate favorites in the West.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Chandler Parsons will make $5 million more than Dirk Nowitzki, who coincidentally, has a standing offer for a max deal with the Rockets.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/487014446363983872">July 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wouldn't it be awesome if we shoved it up Cuban's @$$ and replaced Parsons for Dirk? Or better yet sign Dirk and then match the offer for Parsons. I know this is all a pipe dream and will never happen but in all honesty I'm not sure why Dirk is so damn loyal. I can understand a guy like Duncan because he's winning championships or Kobe because he's making an outrageous amount....but in this instance I really don't see any substantial positives staying in Dallas. He will be making much less money and playing for an inferior team. This is unprecedented. His loyalty is admirable i guess....

1 person likes this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We offered him max. Derk Novitskey said No.

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

Dirk will regret giving Cuban the hometeam discount for the rest of his life. It will be just like Barkley to the Rockets.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

loyalty... so it does exist...

5. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Member

Dirk has his values. He didn't try to use us as leverage or say that his wife likes it better in Dallas.

6. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Member

Dirk was caught banging some hooker in Dallas. doubt he has values. F the mavs.

7. mazinger

mazinger Member

That's the difference between loyal/franchise/want to win player and the Player all about the $$$ Parsons, Melo and Bosh

8. RV6

RV6 Member

So let's hate on a loyal player because we're mad our player wasn't. Gotcha.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Member

Dirk does not want to leave Dallas...period.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Maybe Dirk doesn't want to play with Howard and Harden or he doesn't want to be one of Morey's assets?

He's not the only one who turned Houston down this summer.

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Dirk bleeds Dallas blue...Cuban and the Mavs have done everything to build around him. He has embraced the city and their obnoxious fans. The last thing he would want is to leave that to play for a in state/in division rival. Cuban would make a voodoo doll and hex Dirk if he left for Houston.

Cuban put his trust on an unproven German player...and now Dirk is putting his trust in Cuban. Loyalty like this is quite rare, especially in this dog eat dog business model called the NBA.

12. conquistador#11

dallas offers him 10 and we offer him 25 million and world cup tickets, he would still pick the Mavs. they scouted him, groomed his flat top and never turned on him even after getting embarrassed by the warriors.

13. HCA

HCA Member

There is no loyalty in the nba. Dirk just hates the houston rockets. You can tell.

Morey made it clear we would not trade parsons to a rebuilding celtics lottery team for all star pg rajon rondo. Not only were we loyal. But we also let him out early so he could cash in. Dont tell me keeping him restricted is more advantageous than keeping him for 1 million dollars. Morey got played hard.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Exactly. /thread.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Houston and everything to do with Dirk liking where he is + having some misguided German sense of loyalty. :p

15. Dubious

Dubious Member

how much do you think durk makes in business dealings with cuban?

16. BinBinRingRing

Dont worry once you figure out Houston is not the go to place for ring chasing FAs everything will start to make sense.

17. crash5179

crash5179 Member

1. Dirk loves Dallas and is a Mav to the core. Nothing Houston can do about that.
    2. Carmelo turned Houston down because of the location and money.
    3. Bosh turned Houston down for the money.
    4. Lowry turned resigned in Toronto because he didn't want to wait on Houston while they chased Melo & Bosh.

All of those players stayed with their teams and none moved. No NBA team was able to get them to move. The biggest name free agents to sign away from their current teams were Lebron who went back to his home town and Parsons/Hayward who are both RFA's and can be resigned by their current teams.

18. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Member

Dirk is a Mav in his heart. There are some things you can't change

19. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

When you look at The Association as a whole, it seems very schizophrenic this offseason. On one hand you have a player like Duncan giving hometown discounts with a legit chance at another ring, then you have Dirk giving hometown discount with no shot at a ring, and on the other hand you have James getting the max on what's looking like a very good Cleveland team, and players like Melo and Bosh looking for the biggest payday on teams with no shot at a ring. It's just Crazy I tells ya'!

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sorry but he is arch rival so Dirk, GTFO