1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ICYMI] Codman Speaks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, Sep 21, 2017.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

You’re right he didn’t come to play with Anderson. He came to play James friggin Harden.

roslolian likes this.
  2. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

No worries @Codman. Thanks for contributing. It's guys like you that keeps this BBS growing and what it is today. I came on this site in 99 (my user got wiped some time in 2001 ish), but it was the rumors and inside sources that kept me here, and I'm sure for others as well. And I'm glad you're not going to let other posters here discourage you from posting. Keep fighting and hope all is well.

D-rock and malakas like this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Don't worry about anything Codman. We all love you, and pray for your speedy recovery.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

A few on the Rockets are disappointed because they thought it was happening. The Beard was one of them.

malakas, saleem and J.R. like this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets chased Taj Gibson/McDermott at trade deadline and Paul George & Carmelo Anthony over the summer.

OKC snaked them 3 times in a row. Painful.

@Codman thanks for your updates. It is clear that Melo CAVED in and that killed it. Do you have any intel on WHY he caved?

I wonder if CP is mad at Morey for not pushing harder for the trade, OR is CP mad at Melo for not "staying with the plan."

I mean, CP has to be smart enough to know adding Melo at the expense of his OTHER FRIEND Ariza (plus Gordon) would make the team worse.

D-rock, saleem and BigMaloe like this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Man, seeing @Codman change his signature.... :(

7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Delete...

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know about snaked, but somehow made 3 non-sensical trades. They got lucky -- for some reason, the Bulls loved Cameron Payne and the Pacers loved Oladipo more than any other team in the league.

The Rockets unfortunately don't have a ton of superfluous pieces at the moment -- guys like Gordon and Ariza are important. The extra year on Ryno's contract proved fatal here.

The biggest "what if" in my mind is using all of the filler in the Chris Paul deal when it may not have been necessary. Would Dekker, Harrell, or the 2018 first round made a difference here? Unfortunately, that deal had to be done quick, and I think the benefits of signing a PJ Tucker outweighed the risks.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@NIKEstrad I used snaked because I was pissed. Just hate it.

The filler in the CP3 deal that really is up for debate for me was Harrell and the 1st. But it is tough to say.

I think more than anything that extra Anderson year was a huge boat anchor. Ugh.

yixiixiy likes this.
  10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Every bit of salary filler used in co3 deal was absolutely needed. We couldn't do it without them and Harrell wasn't originally apart of trade but was later added bout of necessity.

We can argue the inclusion of the 1st and I agree it seems generous but the players were all needed to make it go through

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Rockets didn't have one of those NG contracts to use instead of Harrell? They had 3 of them or so. Used 1 in the CP deal

12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah it's always been the pick that bothered me. I understand picks are the biggest incentives but considering we didn't send them a single bad contract, in fact all were great contracts, just don't see how Morey didn't get the pick back when he had to include Montrezz.

13. Houston09

Houston09 Member

Same story diffrent thread

14. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

We had just acquired them and you can't just flip them immediately, even so you could, it would have to be evolved into a 3way trade and we were against a deadline and had to act quickly

15. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I agree. OKC were not contenders and had a bunch of decent players they could afford to package and move. We have good players that have defined roles for us and could not be moved easily. I still like our team. There is something to be said for chemistry and roles and keeping a group together for several years. OKC is now I'm a situation where they HAVE to win big in order to even have a chance to keep Melo and PG (and Russ for that matter).

RudyTBag likes this.
  16. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Anderson doesn't have the greatest contract but it sounded like there were a couple of teams that wanted him and was going to help facilitate the trade. The Knicks just seem like they didn't want to work with the Rockets and give them or Carmelo their happy ending. They wanted the Rockets to give up Ariza and Gordon, two starting caliber players yet they quickly accepted two bench players from OKC.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't really think it this way, in the end why would the Knicks care if it's Houston or OKC? In fact, since they wanted Melo out it was much easier for them to send him to Houston since that's where he wanted to go.

The reality is that Anderson contract is bad...and long. Nothing more nothing less.

There were a couple of teams willing to take him, but that doesn't mean much, cause on thing is to be willing to take Anderson while sending back other mediocre/bad players/contracts, another thing is to be willing to trade decent to good assets to have him, and that's obviously something that just wasn't there.

In the end seems like the two teams willing to take Anderson were Detroit and Milwaukee, but we don't know what they wanted to trade for him, what if they were willing to trade like Ish Smith + Leuer or Henson + Dellavedova? Cause looking at what they got back by OKC, i guess something similar to those packages is what Morey was offered for Anderson, certainly not Jabari Parker or Tobias Harris.

#217 Vivi, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    malakas likes this.
  18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the press release yesterday indicated that we were unable to find a taker for anderson, specifically a taker who wasn't wanting to send out their own toxic contract as well

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You could flip them because the Rockets were under the cap. They used TWO of them in the CP trade. - Darrun Hilliard, DeAndre Liggins

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

DaDakota, D-rock and Deuce like this.