1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Iceland Trip

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by diogenes, Oct 11, 2006.

Tags:
  1. diogenes

diogenes Contributing Member

I will be flying to Reykkjavik on Oct. 21st for a 5 day vacation and was wondering if any board member has been there. Other than the famous nightlife and extremely high prices does anyone have anything to share regarding this geothermal hotspot?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Why are you going in October, instead of the summer?

DD

3. diogenes

October is the only time I can get away from work!

4. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

supposed to have gorgeous women.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Cool...have a good time....

If I were vacationing in October...it would be in Germany....OKTOBERFEST......

BEER !!

DD

6. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Oooh, Iceland! That is where I want to go next. This Spa is supposed to be bad ass.

Blue Lagoon geothermal spa
    Grindavik, Iceland
    www.bluelagoon.com
    Filled from geo-thermally heated water that comes from more than a mile below the surface

Of course it is all outdoors. You can get a massage while floating in the water.

Damn, I want to go.

7. diogenes

book your ticket and come along! iceland air is having a special. from DC to iceland $500.

8. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I'd kill to go to Iceland and soak in a geo-thermal spa while watching Sigur Ros in concert.

Wow I think I just realized what perfect contentment would feel like.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

that geothermal spa is incredible..

so is gulfoss (waterfall). It takes a bit of a drive, but it's worth it.

The famous geyser is NOT worth the drive. No big deal if you've ever seen a geyser before.

Some friends went up to the villages in the Northwest (I didn't have time), but that'd be a 2 day trip and probably not worth your time either.

Other than that, I'd say just explore the city. There's not much activity during the day at all..

oh! go golfing, even if the puffins (birds) are all over the course. assuming you like golf, of course.

BUT, I HAVE A TASK FOR YOU. If you drink. Order an "Icelandic Flag" shot. It was my absolute favorite out there. But no matter how hard I tried after getting back, I couldn't figure out what was in it, nor could anyone I e-mailed there (like the hotel staff) get back to me on it ;) PLEASE ask a bartender what you put in to make that shot!!!

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

also, you can see the mid-atlantic rift with a slight detour while driving to gulfoss. Pretty cool to see the division of land.. although it's not very wide or anything and probably wouldn't be a big deal unless you knew what it was

11. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Whatever you do, don't buy any Icelandic treasury bonds...

12. diogenes

great ideas thanks! did you have a chance to see the Northern lights while you were there and based on your experience are the Icelanders friendly towards Americans?

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

never been, but as someone else mentioned.... the girls there are supposed to be gorgeous.

i hope you're not married....

14. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

following up on kaleido (same bachelor party trip as him).....

the partying starts a little late, so pace yourself
    friday and saturday nights end around 5 am..the rest of the time the place looks like a ghost town
    pick up a few bottles at duty free if you guys are pre partying
    the water smells like sulfur becuase its all heated by natural springs....so you have 2 options to not smell like it after a shower...a cold water rinse or lots of cologne
    If you see a semi-big girl in a red dress, RUN
    as a foreigner, you will be a superstar there...partially b/c all the clubs know you can afford their drinks....so don't bother waiting in lines to go anywhere, just go to the front
    icelandic air has a special where you can fly to europe and get a free layover in iceland..so we bought a ticket to stockholm and partied in iceland too

15. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Me too! (but it's mostly in September... ;) ).

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Not bad! I remember flying Icelandic Airlines, over 35 years ago, when they were the cheapest commercial ticket from New York to the Continent. Stopped in Iceland, and flew into Luxemburg. Wonder how much it is from Iceland to Europe? Oh, and I'd buy a sweater there. They have some fine ones.

17. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Have a fling with Icelandic supermodel Njord.