1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I would love to have Jaylen Brown

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LjGarci, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

FC.UK that!! Hell no thank God your dumb ass is not the GM!

OremLK and Ancient Moabite like this.
  2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I love Jaylen Brown's game and he would be great here. Still, it makes zero sense to trade for him considering the circumstances.

- He's an unrestricted FA next summer and has no reason to sign an extension.
    - We have the most cap space in the league this summer and the next one, if we choose.
    - Boston is a competitor right now and for the foreseeable future so would demand a huge return for Brown.
    - We are likely not contenders next year even if we acquire Brown considering the age and experience of all of our prospects.
    - One more year of development and adding a high level prospect in this year's draft could make us more attractive to next year's free agents.

Why trade for Brown with only one year left under contract? If he doesn't like it here and bolts we are screwed. It's like the Kawhi in Toronto scenario, but even worse. Brown isn't forcing a trade yet like Kawhi did and we aren't in a position to win even if we get him. The far better option would be to pursue him in free agency next year and hope the Texas tax advantage bridges the gap between our max offer and Boston's.

Williamson and Ancient Moabite like this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

I would imagine us trading for Brown would require Brown’s agreement that he would sign with us.

Why would Boston let Brown even hit FA? They would seek to trade him first instead of letting him go for nothing.

4. dmoneybangbang

You can hope all you want..... but Green turning into a top 5 player by his mid 20s seem more like "thoughts and prayers" than a reasonable outcome.

5. dmoneybangbang

I only care about who is the better overall player and I prefer a bird in the hand than hope in some future core growing old together. I have seen nothing to suggest we got our own WB, Harden, and Durant core just waiting in the wings....

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Okay? Jalen Green still projected to be a better offensive piece than Brown but not as good of a defender. Ya I don't see a Durant, Westbrook Harden level trio yet. But why should that make me be willing to trade Green for Brown?

If we draft Wemby or Scoot I definitely can see a Harden, Westbrook, Durant level core forming between some combo of Green, Sengun, Wemby, Jabari and Scoot/Wemby.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

That's too generous for me.... and relies too much on projections and hope. There's no rule that Green will become a better offensive player..... and like I said, I care more about the overall better player.

If you have an opportunity to trade for the best or second best player on a contender then you see if you can pursue it. Like I originally said.... being the second best player on a contender is something we can only HOPE Green becomes.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think we just have different opinions on the value of Green and his trajectory.

#68 fchowd0311, Mar 23, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    Dobbizzle likes this.
  9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Hold up, you think Brown is a top 10 player?

10. MrButtocks

Only teams that are not contenders would trade their star away to avoid them hitting free agency. A contender will take their chances. OKC and GS didn't trade Durant away in his final year. Philly didn't trade Jimmy Bulter away. Boston didn't trade Kyrie away. No team wants to throw away a competitive season. The only team I remember doing it was OKC trading Harden away after making the finals over an extension dispute. Maybe lightning strikes twice, but I Boston isn't that cheap and will clearly offer Brown the largest extension possible. Brown would need to force his way out ala Kawhi.

11. dmoneybangbang

That’s why there’s even talk about Brown…. Because of his comments regarding the Celtics.

I think it’s most likely the Celtics work it out but if Brown is available then the Rockets should have some talks.

12. Sen89

Sen89 Member

He's definitely not, but he's not THAT far off when you consider how close certain groups of players are.

In no order, by my personal tiers:

Giannis, Luka, Jokic, Embiid, Curry, KD, LeBron (7)
    Tatum, Kawhi, Lillard, AD (4)
    Zion, Mitchell, Ja, Butler, Booker, Jaylen, SGA, Sabonis, Harden (9)
    Siakam, Fox, Edwards, George, Bam, Haliburton, others etc (??)

I know you could push a few guys up/down a category based on preference, but I'd argue Jaylen's in that third group in the 12-20 range, even if you think he's on the lower end of that. An efficient 27/7/4 guy who was the 1B for the Finals runner-up and he's as much of a 2-way guy as anyone in that group (besides Butler)

xaos likes this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

Seems like it. Brown is the level I hope Green can reach and I believe a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

14. TimDuncanDonaut

Some of Brown's contract incentives. (source: sportstrac)

Condition 1 - likely to hit.
    • $4 million likely incentives
      • plays 65 or more games, team wins 49
      • or more games and reaches second round of playoffs) [ LTBE = 65 games played + All-Star Game]
    BOS has 50 wins already. Brown played in 61 games at the time of this writing; he just needs to play 4 more games.

Condition 2: $8 million unlikely incentives (MVP, DPOY or one of three All-NBA Teams)​

======================================================================
    What's more important is ....
    Eligibility for Supermax (2 player limit per team). Since Brown is not in the running for MVP nor DPOY. He needs to be named to an All-NBA team in the most recent season or two in the last three seasons.

Based on the past list, he didn't get one last year (2021-22). Did NOT get voted into All-NBA: 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team
    2022-23 (this year) - under contract
    2023-24 (next year) - under contract
    2024-25 (unrestricted free agent)​

It's possible he won't be Supermax eligible for Celtics. This means Celtics won't have the money advantage when offering him an extension. Other teams can throw good money at him and outbid. In HOU's case no state income tax.

#74 TimDuncanDonaut, Mar 23, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    MrButtocks and i3artow i3aller like this.
  15. MrButtocks

If Brown is available there will be a bidding war that we don't want to be a part of. Again, I love his game but he's a tier 2 superstar IMO. He can't singlehandedly make our terrible team a contender. Trading an asset package for him makes it impossible to build around him, like the Melo to NYK scenario. Trading for him only makes sense if it's a package deal with another star coming, like when the Clippers traded for PG because Kawhi wanted him. I love PG's game too and he was putting up legit superstar numbers at the time, but he wouldn't have been worth the package LAC traded for him all by himself.

The only way I see Boston trading Brown to us where we still have assets left is winning the lottery and offering Wemby straight up. Henderson and Miller aren't going to cut it.

16. Ancient Moabite

When Brown got drafted was he at the level he is now or did he elevate to that annually since his rookie yr? The media projection was trying to break up Brown/Tatum before they reached that Finals trip

Not saying Green will reach that level but offensively he is on that projection, and while I don't think he will reach Brown prowess on defense, it will be more about effort on a consistent basis while still finding that energy to remain offensively engaged

Pretty sure when Brown was 20 / 21 yrs old you didn't feel the way you do about the for sure bird he is right now today, but I could be wrong, let me know when u get a moment

peleincubus likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

.... well obviously he improved each year but that in no way means Green will have similar trajectory. Not every rookie has the same trajectory....

If you say so. Seems like Brown has been unhappy with the Celtics.

Projections are fine and all but they are just that, educated guesses. I subscribe to the theory that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Like I keep saying.... What Brown is now is the level of player we hope Green becomes.

And? Why does that matter now?

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

I agree with the take that Green will be a better scorer than Brown. He's already pretty close and Brown is in his prime years while Green is just getting started.

Again though, I don't see any reason why Celtics would break up a legitimate contender if their hand isn't absolutely forced into it, and I don't get that sense right now.

19. dmoneybangbang

Doesn't hurt to talk, otherwise won't know the price.

I disagree that him being a tier 2 superstar should persuade us from not going for him, but I also think we should walk away if we are giving up most of the war chest we have been building up.

20. Ancient Moabite

Well you view them the same way basically when they first entered the league pretty much, of course Brown improved each season, especially scoring wise because he always had the size and physical attributes for defense

What Green will become is all on him same as it was for Brown and all others outside of the surefire HOF caliber club who displayed it day one rookie yr