1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I would love to have Jaylen Brown

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LjGarci, Mar 21, 2023.

1. 34to11

34to11 Member

Silly how some people still believe in the fallacy that you have to trade a star for a star when that is rarely the case.
    I remember when folks around here swore there was no way the Rockets would trade Harden without a star the caliber of Irving or Durant coming back.
    The same type of thinking that had people convinced there was no way Phoenix could acquire KD and still keep CP3, Booker, and Ayton.
    The same folks who were adamant that Dallas lacked the resources to trade for another star to pair with Doncic.

What these haughty halfwits seem to keep missing is that the market has clearly been set for acquiring a discontent star.
    The going price is one or two prospects and a trove of draft capital. Coincidentally those are both things the Rockets have in spades.

For perspective consider these:
    • Harden was trade for a trove of picks and swaps.
    • KD got traded for 2 prospects (Bridges, Johnson) and 4 picks.
    • Kyrie got traded for cap fodder and 3 picks.
    • D. Mitchell was traded for 2 prospects (Markkanen, Sexton) plus picks (3) and swaps (2).
    • D. Murray was traded for the ghost of Gallinari plus 3 picks and a swap.
    • Paul George was traded for one prospect (SGA) and 5 picks.
    • Anthony Davis was traded for 2 prospects (Ball, Ingram) and 3 picks and a swap.
    • Jimmy Butler was traded for 2 role player prospects (RoCo,Saric) and 1 second round pick.

I could go on but I'm sure even the most "ridiculous" person should get the point.

That said, no one said Boston had to move Brown or was even considering it, although it's not quite as impossible as some seem o think. I'm pretty sure this was intended as a "what if" scenario. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Certainly nothing to get your panties in a bunch over.

2. jayfree

jayfree Member

But I thought Sengun was the Messiah? Did I hear wrong?

34to11 likes this.
  3. jayfree

jayfree Member

And bring back Boogie!

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Because you are trading a 21 year old sophmore who is 9th all time in ppg before turning 21 for a player who has reached his max ceiling of top 15 player at age 26? When you trade Green you aren't trading his current production and eff. You are trading what he possibly will be through ages 21-26 which has very good chance of at least marching Brown offensively to exceeding it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Green is a better offensive player than Brown at his peak. What would make Green a clear cut better player than current Brown is if he does a leap in his defensive ability. But is trajectory as a offensive player is higher than Brown.

5. i3artow i3aller

Land Scoot Henderson and maybe we'd have a shot. Bari is a Gerogia boy too.

6. Asian Sensation

I don’t disagree with any of that hence why I wouldn’t make that trade. I was just saying that would likely be Boston’s asking price.

7. Arnel

Arnel Member

that’s beyond “unlikely” …that’s straight up ridiculous to even suggest. Once again, who do we trade for Jalen Brown, and why does Boston even consider accepting? It might be the worst trade scenario I’ve ever seen suggested. ;)
    :D Bridges is better than any of our youngsters and cam Johnson is solid also. They had to get moved. That’s kind of like our green and Jabari basically. That’s my whole point trades happen but you have to include your “promising youth” as well as picks even Ingram and all those lakers youngsters got moved.

Of course it’s a what if scenario but not including this years first rounders and basically any of our promising youth just seems beyond unrealistic.

Rockets trading harden in nets move was a tanking and cost cutting move. Celtics are a top 2 contender. Different scenarios. I guess these haughty halfwits don’t get that :cool:

8. Bury Me in the H

9. dmoneybangbang

I think I'd trade a Green for a Brown in a package.

10. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

lol the Celtics would laugh and just hang up if we said any of our players are untouchable. I see the asking price starting with the AD trade which means 2 out of 3 from Jalen/Jabari/Sengun, this year's pick, and at least 2-3 of the Nets picks.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  11. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

hell no! I’ll trade KPJ, Sengun and KJ Martin and some draft picks for Brown.

34to11 likes this.
  12. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

I would trade Garuda and a top-55 protected 2nd rounder for Embid, 6 bags of Doritos and Boban for Durant, and then sign Harden for $17. Just think of the lineup:
    Harden
    Green
    Brown
    Durant
    Embid

Championship baby!

Stupid cheap Tillman probably won’t do it though.

13. 34to11

34to11 Member

You assume the Celtics would be negotiating from a position of power which is not likely to be the case.
    1) The Rockets don't need Jaylen Brown per se because it's not like they are one piece away from winning a championship and he would get the over the top.
    2) The ONLY way any of this even becomes a conversation is if Jaylen Brown's discontent intensifies and he demands out. And as in the examples I listed earlier, that always mitigates leverage.

Also, with regard to your example, I don't think many see Jaylen Brown as a player who can command an AD level return.

14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I’d give up all the Nets picks and any package of players except Green and Smith. 26 yo top 15 players don’t come available often it’s worth cashing in all chips.

Our trio could be the best big 3 in the league within a few years.

I’d expect they would demand our lotto pick this year as well which if it wasn’t top 3 it’s definitely worth it.

This was alway the plan to me. Two drafted stars, one big FA and one traded for disgruntled star. Add a FVV or Harden and you’re an instant contender.

15. dmoneybangbang

And that’s where they hang up…

What am I missing here…..? Brown is the second best player on a contender…. Ain’t that what we HOPE Green becomes?

16. fchowd0311

Green will definitely be a better offensive player than Brown. Brown has even worse tunnel vision than Green when it comes to playmaking for teammates Brown is a real good defender which makes him a star two way player also but I hope Green is a more dynamic offensive player than Brown though and his trajectory seems to indicate that. I wouldn't trade Green for Brown especially considering if we draft a guy like Wemby or Scoot who will be 19, the timeline with Green as a core growing together having a long window makes more sense than pairing them with someone who's 26 and will be probably in their 30s when a guy like Wemby or Scoot are in their prime.

17. i3artow i3aller

Where is the recent JB speculation even coming from?

[​IMG]

#57 i3artow i3aller, Mar 23, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    BaselineFade and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

We’re hoping Green becomes a top 5 player by the time he’s Browns age and in his prime. Not sure yet but Brown seems more Robin to Batman.

19. fchowd0311

Brown has near elite to elite level defense going for him. That is what will make him a top 10 player consistently. He won't be a top 10 player from offense alone.

Green looks to have a higher offensive trajectory but we'll be lucky if Green gets close to Brown when it comes to defense. If that happens Green will be a MVP level player but that is a huge of and most likely won't happen.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Green, number 4 pick, Clippers pick swap and a FRP in 2 years for him should do the trick.

DD