1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I would like to hear the board's opinion on the Sterling situation

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ross84, Apr 29, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Banning a racist employer who employs minorities is grounds for ban and expulsion. The NBA cannot risk a 5 BILLION dollar enterprise for one guy. This is and will always be about money first and foremost.

Banning someone for life because they are racists is a Pandora's box.

This I feel was Silver's mistake. Yes it is abhorrent and wrong but now you're going to have to ban (how long?) anybody who is racist, misogynistic, homophobic, etc... In reality he has to deal with any immoral action now. The problem, who's morals?

As an example, Shaq's language imitation of Yao years ago. Worthy of a ban, if yes how long? I've seen a few bring up the Bird/Magic Rodman/Isiah comments as well.

Reverse racism could also be an issue. After all, Whites are the minority in the NBA. I can just imagine it, a marginal (limited) white player raising an issue because he see's an opportunity. Or maybe that situation could be in fact reverse racism where before it was just locker room banter but now...

Bottom line, the ban for life was a mistake. I think you could have still forced a sale with an indefinite ban. The ban would expire after the sale was finalized.

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

It didn't have to come to this. The NBA knew of Sterling's beliefs for years. He should have been banned years ago.

3. wompwomp

wompwomp Member

eh not really. While its easy to dictate the punishment when it's something this asinine, what happens when its something that requires more moral judgement and whose value system will be used. But like i said, i rather it be a harsher judgement than a cosmetic one with no teeth, ala george steinbrenner's suspension from the yankees back in the day. It was a different situation but I was kind of expecting that, cause at the end of the day i don't think the nba really cares that this old rich racist white dude was being an old rich racist white dude. He just got caught in the most PR nightmarish way possible. If they did, they would clamped down on him years ago with the whole housing scandal. That was far more problematic than some racist pillow talk to his racially confused mistress.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The First Amendment is part of the Constitution. The Constitution is the highest law of the United States.

What do you not understand?

HOW to apply the Constitution is another story. But the Constitution is not just an "opinion" or "philosophy." It's the law.

5. egr281

egr281 Member

A F***ing Men! Theres is a much larger issue here than DS and anyone with the objective eyes to see it know this. I wont bring it up because really it belongs in the D&D

6. Sirton

Sirton Contributing Member

My viewpoint is the same as this guys

Allen West

7. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Sure if you want to sheepishly follow the founding fathers that is on you. In that case let's all have slaves. What are we even worrying about Sterling's comments for?

Work not home.

See at least that is true. They did it for the money.

Dude you are just spitting out rhetoric. You are using things that are dependent on each other to prove each other. I say I'm cool because he says I'm cool because he's cool. Something like that.

We are not talking about laws here or what the league can and cannot do. If we are then we all need to shut up because guess what, the league obviously can do it since they did it.

Damn dude you are pretty brainwashed. You are talking about the unshakable "laws of the land" like they came straight from god's mouth.

Yeah, no one is giving you a hard time about your freedom of speech. I just really disagree with you.

#147 ross84, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  8. ross84

The constitution is an opinion that was made a law. Laws are not absolute. It can be the highest law of the United States but that doesn't make it absolute. Holly molly.

9. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

All situations, huh?

So if I tell you "you should go commit suicide and I'll **** your mother on your grave", Clutch has no right to ban me because 1st amendment. Is that what you think?

10. ross84

Well you kinda did just say it.

11. ross84

Now if you told your girlfriend that over the phone. "man I hate this guy ross84. He should go **** himself" Nah, it's cool.

12. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Answer the question.

13. ross84

You apparently don't believe it yourself otherwise you would kick yourself out of the board. You answer the question.

14. ross84

You just kinda proved my point.

15. ross84

And I did answer your question. You're still hear and I'm not complaining to anyone. It's your turn buddy. Answer your question.

16. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

This has nothing to do with the first amendment. The first amendment only insures that the government can't act to abridge political speech or the press. If you are part owner of a private business, and your partners decided that your behavior is going to get in the way of business, they have every right to ask you to leave that partnership. He has become a detriment to the public face of the NBA and he has to go, simple as that.

The first amendment doesn't guarantee that they aren't consequences to speaking your mind.

1 person likes this.
  17. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

How? NBA can not banned the guy because he is likely a racist without a clear evidence.

18. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Saw it coming from a mile away.

Tragic.

19. m0lson

m0lson Member

20. Mr. Space City

it's weird. some of these people claim they are not only nba fans, but rockets fans who root for and support black players yet defend a racist. :confused:

but then again you have guys like sterling who profit off black athletes yet are racist against black people.