1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I would like to hear the board's opinion on the Sterling situation

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ross84, Apr 29, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

I think what he said is shameful and wrong but he is entitled to his opinion. He said those things in the privacy of a personal phone call. I think we should respect that. I don't think that if he said something insulting, racist and ignorant we should respond the same way. I know no one is expected to but I would rather have liked to see a couple black players be better persons than him and reach out to him. Forgiveness is not meant to be an easy thing. This all might sound very idealistic but banishing someone does not help society and promote growth it just hides the things we don't want to see.

2. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Well, there are two schools of thought on this...

3. Coreyls18

Coreyls18 Member

For me(Caucasian) I think this whole thing is just dumb. Im no racist ofcourse and im not black. But i have many friends of all race and my two best friends are both Hispanic. It just seems like everyone is acting like a child. Big deal a dude is racist..who cares. Like mentioned he is old as **** and born in a dif time. And even if he is racist im sure hes not a bad guy. hell he is dating a half black. Hes has owned the Clips since the 80s and been around blacks, paid their salary, been a good owner I imagine. but just cause its made public its a huge deal. No matter the race damn near everyone has said a racial slur at one point in their lives. Doesnt make them racist. And off topic, but that Snoop Dogg comment was just ridiculous. Dude is a tool. People need to quit crying. hes just another old racist. he will be dead soon, move along and get on with your life.
    And his punishment is just dumb. Silver just trying to make a statement and not get on the players bad side. I could see something like this if he was a bad owner, if he was a full blown racist to his staff and players, and NOT dating a black girl... This whole thing is laughable. and im tired of seeing it on every news site and all over ESPN. Then have to listen to every analyst talk about it and give their opinion. No one cares...

4. i3artow i3aller

Cuban had a pretty good take on it.

Should Kobe have been banned for life for his homophobic comments?

Sterling is a real POS, and I'm not defending him in the slightest, but a very dangerous precedent has just been set.

5. ross84

That's the crazy thing. I'm not taking his side but he doesn't even seem racist. Like you said, he's dating a black girl and he said she can sleep with black people. I think he just has a confused look at how people see things and is too afraid to stand up to it.

6. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I think his jumpoff is a tranny.

7. ross84

You know you would jump on that.

8. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think this is more of a "Lifetime Achievement" award for being a racist b*stard. His comments are distracting and directly hurt the NBA, so it's pretty clear from the by-laws that this was a reasonable reaction to the situation.

On an ironic note, he was about to receive a Lifetime Achievement award from the NAACP for his work with inner city children.

9. i3artow i3aller

She really looks like those Asian strippers from Hangover II. Definitely born male.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Young folks in this thread don't understand what racism is. Sterling is absolutely racist and what he said was wrong. The NBA has the right do everything in its power to remove a racist from within its ranks of owners.

11. pocketrocket81

I was thinking the same thing about the precedent that has been set with the punishment Adam Silver is trying to enforce. I would not be surprised at all if someday a recorded conversation showing racism or discriminating remarks by a player or players comes forth by one of their many mistresses. Do they get the same punishment?

12. Rokman

Rokman Member

So Sterling says 1st Amendment rights be dammed as well as your privacy. I got dirt on you and you are BAAANNEED!!! Well, Mr. Sterling, let's start recording your phone calls as well s every owner, coach and player in the league and see how quickly we can ban the whole league, because there a bunch of black players who love to hate on whitey. I think it's time to expose it and clean house.

13. ross84

Sure racism is wrong but so are a lot of things. I'll tell you what, I would rather have someone call me a sand ****** than stomp my head in Portland.

14. Mr. Space City

look at all the people making excuses for a known racist....

15. Rokman

Rokman Member

Correction: Silver not Sterling

16. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Sterling's presence is a black eye on the league so something had to be done. Lets not ignore the many allegations against him before this recorded conversation with his jump off came out. The league in my opinion already looked bad for not handing out a stiff penalty before to this guy so they had to do something with this latest incident.

17. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Silver's punishment was just and understandable. Now, the owners' decision on his forced sale of the franchise WILL set an interesting precedence.

18. Major

Major Member

Since Silver is not a government entity, he's be right.

19. basketballholic

20. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

yep, he's in the private sector and can do whatever the hell he wants. 1st amendment doesn't apply