1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I won the lottery (in Nigeria)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mulder, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Looks like they have a new scam... complete with bad spelling and punctuation.

MR.PAUL MARK.(TINAPA LOTTO INTERNATIONAL)
    PRIZE AWARD DEPT.
    REF NO: 12/0078/IPG
    BATCH NO: EGS/ 20054117/08

ATTN: WINNER.

RE: AWARD NOTIFICATION, FINAL NOTICE.

We are pleased to inform you, that as a result of our RECENT LOTTERY DRAWS HELD ON THE 2nd January 2006. Took them awhile to get me the info jeesh

Your e-mail address attached to ticket number:021-xxxx083-04 with serial number:31270-0 drew lucky numbers:05-06-12-14-38 which consequently
    won in the 5th category.

you have therefore been approved for a lump sum pay of (FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND US DOLLARS) in cash credited to file with REF: ยบ.EGS/3xxxxx67114/13

Note that all participants in this lottery program have been selected randomly through a computer ballot system drawn from over 20,000 Officials and 30,000,000 individual email addresses from all search engines and web sites,from Asia, Australia, NewZealand, Europe, North and South America, Middle East and Africa, as part of our International Promotions Program.

This promotional program takes place every year,and is promoted and sponsored by eminent personalities like the Sultan of Brunei and other corporate organizations.

This is to IMPROVE THE LEVEL OF EDUCATION WORLDWIDE and to ENCOUAGE THE USE OF INTERNET AND COMPUTERS WORLDWIDE.

Your fund is now deposited with Union Bank and insured in your name For security purpose and clarity,we advise that you keep your winning information confidential until your claims have been processed and your money remitted to your account.

This is part of our security protocol to avoid double claims and unwarranted abuse of this program by some participants.

We look forward to your active participation in our next 4 million dollars slot.

To begin the processing of your prize you are to contact your claims agent through our accredited Prize Transfer agents as stated below:

Name..Rev (Dr) Martin Johnson

TEL: +234-803-400-1387 CALL HIM IMMEDIATELY WITH HIS ABOVE DIRECT PHONE NUMBER IF YOU ARE CALLING FROM (USA) THIS IS HOW YOU DIAL 011-234-803-400-1387 BUT IF YOU ARE CALLING FROM ANY OTHER COUNTRY,THIS IS HOW TO DIAL +234-803-400-1387

You are also advised to provide your claim agent with the under listed information as soon as possible send it to his two email addresses below,

YOUR CLAIM AGENT E MAIL ADDRESSES BELOW,

E MAIL: xxxxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com
    E MAIL: xxxxxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com

1. Name in full
    2. Address
    3. Nationality
    4. Age
    5. Occupation
    6. Phone/Fax
    7. Batch Number
    8. Serial Number

All winnings must be claimed not later than one month After the date of this notice.Please note,in order to avoid unnecessary delays and complications,remember to quote your Batch number and Serial numbers in all correspondence.

Furthermore,should there be any change of address do inform our agent as soon as possible.

Congratulations!!!once more and thank you for being part of our promotional program.

Bear in mind that 10% of your fund will be going to the lottery organization that played the lottery with peoples name and email addresses that should be after you most have received the fund in your account,the 10% would have been given to them,just because the fund has been insured and will not be removed till you receive the fund in your account.

Sincerely,
    MR.PAUL MARK.
    VICE PRESIDENT.
    TINAPA LOTTO INT'L

:rolleyes:

2. mexican

mexican Member

congratulations :D

3. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

spread the wealth.

4. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Its a great scam. They tell you that you've won all this money and that you simply have to pay some legal fees of around $500, then once you've paid $500, they say their is a currency transfer or some other b.s. fee for a $1000, and then you never hear from them or they keep trying to suck money out of you.

Unfortunately one of my silly secretaries fell for one of these schemes and lost $500, which she didn't have.

Word of Advice "If you won $500,000...they're not going to need you to pay them anything"

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

send them your contact info just to mess with them.

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

sounds legit to me. just b/c hundreds of scams have originated from Nigeria doesn't mean this is a hoax.

7. macalu

i say that's grounds for a firing there, bud.

Mulder,

provide their emails. i'm gonna make a dummy email account and just screw with them. yes, i'm that bored at work.

#7 macalu, Jul 11, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The world is full of scams.

I really hate the FREE LOTTO crap I keep getting in the email. If it's free, why do I have to pay you to play it, idiot?? :mad:

Check this one out....similar but not the same:

When I got home yesterday evening, I had a message on my home phone that said "Please call Ron at 713-952-4599" (the number was something like that).

I work with a guy named Ron, and the voice sounded like another co-worker, and I am on-call 24/7 at my job, so I picked up the phone and dialed.

I asked for Ron, who happened to be the guy who answered the phone.

"Did you get my letter about your property at....." (yes he had my address).

"Umm...no" was my reply.

The guy then asks if I am from New Orleans. "Nope", I said.

The guy then goes into a spiel trying to sell me insurance. I tell him I have an insurance agent who is a personal friend, and for the last 8 years he has taken care of all of my insurance needs.

The guy wouldn't shut up, insisting I needed more insurance, even though he had no idea what insurance I have or what coverages I have.

I finally had to hang up the phone on him since he wouldn't shut the hell up.

9. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Congrats...This has got to be legit...

11. macalu

what's teh batch number?

12. underoverup

underoverup Member

that's lame that they take 10% of your cash off the top, plus all the US taxes, and the random fees; anyways congratulations!! :D

13. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

congrats.

it might be a scam....but you never know.

Send me $499 and I'll run it through my scam checker....that way you're sure you won't be ripped off :D

On a serious note.....

There used to be some 'lotto resellers' in a building I used to work in. They'd work the phones all day selling lotto tickets to seniors at inflated prices. A complete rip off. But they were good. And quite successful. And they ripped off a LOT of people for mucho money. They used to gloat outside how they'd just scammed 'gramma' in Phoenix or whatever.

If you've got older relatives...find a way to bring up these schemes so that they're aware of them. You'd be surprised who gets suckered in. These guys are that good.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I've also won the lottery in Australia as well as Nigeria.

beat that

15. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

I won 7 mil about a year ago from the same lottery.

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My method for dealing with these guys is to give them one chance to let me get away. If I say "Not interested" and they keep going, then I wait for a short break in their spiel, tell them "Okay, hang on for just one minute." and I set the phone down on a table somewhere. I actually had a telemarketer hold for like 5 minutes before when I picked the phone back up. I asked them why they held that long and then told them that they ****ed up. Very satisfying.

17. macalu

this is where having a whistle comes in handy.

18. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

oh please. I've won lotteries in Nigeria and Zimbabwe as well. I've also gotten people trying to buy $125,000.00 of some product from a website that I created for a company back then. I've also been inherited 7 digit dollars from like 20 deceased "relative's" lawyers who couldn't find better things to do with that money. :cool:

19. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Ah, this reminds me of...

http://www.reversescam.com/

Hello Lady Abacha,

You emailed the right person for this job, My name is Jim Basdrop, the largest weapons & computer dealer around in the central Texas area for the past 34 years. I sell guns, ammo, gerbils, small mortars, and I collect used undies.

I'm very successful on the battlefield and in business and I think I could bring a lot, besides my large bulbous body, to the table for this deal.

Please tell me more,

Jim Basdrop III
    Proud NRA member since '75

:D

20. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

my buddy was once selling a laptop on ebay, and he got several fraud emails saying they would buy the laptop at inflated levels. they would send a check payment through paypal, and then cancel the check after a few days.

anyways, the scammer gave his Fedex number, and said to ship it his charge. my buddy shipped 5 bricks all the way to britain.