1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I witnessed horrible treatment of kids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by macho87, Sep 6, 2014.

1. macho87

macho87 Member

Horrible.

I went to my 9 yo nephews football game and I'm just so pissed. The way these coaches treat the children is down right abuse. I witnessed a coach scream at a kid who was already crying and tell him things i doubt he'd ever tell a grown man. No paeents or anyone cared as these coaches treated the kids like crap. I had to leave after just ten mins with my lady and 9 month old son.

Am I over reacting or is this what's acceptable in our society? What are these kids getting out of this? Is there any commitee that looks after the treatment of the kids?

This hit me hard since i volunteer at Texas Children's and would never do that to a kid.

2. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

its good ol murrcan football what do you expect

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If it's some kind of elite league the parents paid extra cash to get him in, he's probably just doing his job. Sports are about scholarships nowadays, and kids who aren't giving it the same urgency that they would schoolwork or chores aren't going to be up to snuff come 7th grade A team tryouts.

4. conquistador#11

i don't think kids should even play football til they get to the 8th grade but that's a different story.

1 person likes this.
  5. macho87

macho87 Member

After witnessing this I'm gonna discourage my boy from playing football ever. Kids in this Houston heat getting berated by some fat ass who can't even run a lap unless it's to a buffet

6. macho87

macho87 Member

Still doesn't justify the abuse i saw. Who's looking out for the child? The parents just want to get rich off of them i guess.

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I remember I quit playing soccer when I was 6 cause i scored in the wrong goal and my coach yelled at me... Still scars me to this day

1 person likes this.
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We need that coach for Harden.

1 person likes this.
  9. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I was the goalie.... Still scars me to this day

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

There's probably a YMCA football league that would be more your taste.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Stop using the word abuse unless there are bruises or some kind of inappropriate touching. Kids are every bit as mean as this to each other and can cry at the drop of a hat. Incidentally college will cost $50,000 by the time these kids graduate so it's more about making sure they have some kind of middle-class lifestyle than about "getting rich."

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I didn't give my son a choice on football. Basketball and soccer? Yes. Football? Ain't no way.

1 person likes this.
  13. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

There's plenty of ammunition besides coach abuse to discourage kids away from football.

1 person likes this.
  14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Kids' sports are way out of control these days. The money, the time and the pressure is insane for both the parents and the kids. My gf's daughter has been in gymnastics, cheer and swim and I'm appalled at the amount of time required of these kids and their parents. Cheer, in particular was very disturbing but that is for other reasons although I will say the coaches were very aggressive with the kids at times.

1 person likes this.
  15. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

Aggressive coaching is part of the game, but there's some coaches who just take it way too far (like the one you mentioned, OP.) It's like they get off on having more power/exerting control over young, defenseless kids.

When I was 12, my team was up by over 20 points. The other team had the ball with a few seconds left in the game, and I got matched up against some 6-foot something freakazoid wide receiver. It was no surprise when he out-jumped me for a meaningless touchdown at the end of the game. After that, I went to join the rest of my team who was huddled up around the head coach, but I got pulled aside by an assistant one (I think he coached special teams.)

He ripped my helmet off my face, leaned in until he was mere inches away from me, and started railing at me. Said I was "an a-hole who quit on the team." He kept on going on going, and everything he said was laced with expletives. After about two minutes my father came over, got in his face and called him a "pathetic excuse of a person who better back the **** away from his son." I think the head coach must have noticed cause that guy never showed up again.

Those type of coaches have no place in youth football leagues, and it's disappointing that so many people tolerate it.

#15 M.G., Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I've had an ******* coach.

You just gotta suck it up and move on. Its part of competition.
    Infinitely better than the "everyone wins" leagues.

17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

On a beautiful fall day a year or so I ago, I stopped in at our community park to watch a pee-wee football game because I have such fond memories of my own participation. It only took one "HIT SOMEONE IN THE MOUTH" to make me lose my enthusiasm...

1 person likes this.
  18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

In high school, I was second team all-region, and still had a coach throw a football at my head and ask me if I was r****ded. Another time, the same coach stopped practice, pointed me out, and told me Marilyn Monroe had bigger legs than me, and that I need to do leg work in the gym. He didn't like me for some reason. Never knew why.

If I had a kid, and saw a coach do any of that to him (if he was younger than high school age), there'd probably be a fight. In junior high, we got chewed out and in trouble, but never anything major. Coaches got in trouble for cussing and whatnot. 9 is just too young to be playing, unless it's flag football, in my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Pathetic, loser coach who takes his little league team so serious because it's likely all he has in his sorry life.

1 person likes this.
  20. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Went 3/3 in the post in a basketball game. Coach yelled at me cause i didnt pass the ball out to his son. Pissed...So, with us down by 2 at the end of the game, i marched up to the 3 point line, didnt even look in the coaches sons direction and fired up a 3pointer. Bricked. I got yelled at again. He threatened to pull his son off our team and quit. I didnt even try the rest of the year. Just a s****y individual.

1 person likes this.