1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

I Went to Small Ball on Opening Night and Wrote About It for Clutch Fans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

At some point, I'll tell everyone how Trevor Ariza gave me a cookie, Michael Lewis (the Moneyball author) and his son wore matching seersucker suits, I selfied with "Manny" from Modern Family and PJ Tucker got razzed by his teammates for showing up late.

Until then, enjoy the review and go to the musical. It's fun.

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/11016/basketball-the-musical/

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nice review Jeff, really enjoyed it

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Nice write up. 5 star.

4. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Looks like some familiar faces from the old days of Infernal Bridegroom at the Axiom.

Small world....Small Ball.

Batman Jones likes this.
  5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Those were some good times.

mikol13, cdrive and Batman Jones like this.
  6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

The best.

Thanks for this incredible review, @Jeff. Was so great to have you and Cathy at opening and we all loved the review!

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Nice review Jeff.

I think have a typo about talking about winning

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What are the chances Steve Speilburg picks this up for a summer blockbuster?

9. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

My Wife and I are going next Sunday. Super stoked about this!

Batman Jones likes this.
  10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Every single person on this website should 'Like' Jeff's posts. The man saved our Rockets from being moved to another city. We all owe him like 12 beers each and a letter of gratitude.

TMac'n, mikol13, tinman and 3 others like this.
  11. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Great review! I have been meaning to try and at least attend one play. I neve rhave because frankly is not my thing but will purchase tickets for this!

Batman Jones likes this.
  12. Batman Jones

If it helps at all to push you off the fence on this one Catastrophic Theatre (and my first company Infernal Bridegroom Productions) is best known for making theatre for people that don't usually enjoy theatre. And audience surveys have shown that somewhere around 50% of our audience never attends any other cultural arts events though they never miss our plays.

There is no way to see this play and not be surprised. I can't promise you'll like it (can't promise that about any play) but I can promise it's unlike any other theatre you've ever seen. We started out making plays for people that would rather be drinking at a bar or seeing live music. This is not 'your father's musical'; it's not anyone's father's musical. For better or worse, it's unlike any other thing. All of our work is.

Hope you're able to make it out to see it. Would love to hear what you think.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Ok yeah that was REALLY good. I’ve never laughed so hard and so consistently at a musical, then out of nowhere it hit me square in the feels and I was like...******* Mickle you’ve done it again.

Every single cast member was perfect and mesmerizing, all the way down to jeff and tamarie and their hilarious reactions. Will definitely be seeing it again in a couple weeks. So many fun philosophical threads to further unwind, also I think I need the poster.

Fluhrrb!

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like fun. If I make it to Houston I'll have to check it out

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Batman, what are the chances down the line of this being available in video form of some sort for folks who live out of town and/or can't see it for whatever reason?

Batman Jones and da_juice like this.
  18. theimpossibles1

Details on this story please.

19. Batman Jones

Google "save our rockets" and "Jeff Blake" for details. He really did save our Rockets.

don grahamleone likes this.
  20. Batman Jones

Video is typically a place that great theatre goes to die. It's never a good way to experience a play. However, two things...

1. We fully expect the show to have a future life, probably next in Chicago though there are a lot of possibilities for future productions in other cities, and

2. This year UH Libraries Special Collections is honoring us with a comprehensive 25 year long archive that will be on permanent display at UH libraries. That means video, photos, reviews, and all manner of paraphernalia from our entire 25 year history. I have no doubt that a video of Small Ball will be a part of that exhibit that one can visit any time one is in Houston. Only three other local theatres have been thusly honored (the Alley, Main Street Theater, and the long-defunct but fondly remembered Chocolate Bayou Theatre) so it's a big deal to us and a great honor.

So you can catch it live in Houston until May 13, then likely catch it in other towns as we roll it out that way, but if you can't make any of the live shows I expect we'll have full video of the original production at UH Libraries Special Collections beginning later this year.

Hope that's a help!