1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I was just WRONGFULLY TERMINATED.........

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by macho GRANDE, Nov 6, 2008.

1. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

On Monday my boss termed me for failing to comply to a process that was implemented one day before. He said that there was a papertrail from April for the same offense. Obviously that's impossible since the process had just been implemented the previous day. I've asked for a copy of this supposed April write-up only to be told that they can't find it. I've already filed a griveance and now the ball's in their court.
    I think they may attempt to sweep everything under the rug and offer me my position back.
    Should I consider it or push it to the limit?

2. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

What was the policy?

3. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

I think you should start an eighties training for something montage. Was your brother recently deceased?

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

can we get more details?

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Depends. Do you want this job? Sounds like a crappy place to work if they'd pull this kind of stuff. Why would you want to deal with that? I know the market is tough so it also depends on what you do for a living.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

7. macho GRANDE

Without getting too specific..............

I was employed as a production warehouse manager at a very large corporation. On Wednesday of last week I was informed that a process has changed and that it was now a manager's responsibility to perform a 11pm, midnite, and 2am task that had always been done by various hourly employees. On Wednesday I complied and completed the task but on Thursday in the heat of the production shift I forgot about the new initiative until after midnite. Needless to say the 11pm and midnite jobs were completed by hourlies but I managed to handle the 2am duties.
    On Friday my boss asked me what happened the previous day as the cameras had spotted people other than me completing the tasks. I apologized and told him that I'd forgotten with it being a new process and that I'd be sure to incorporate those duties into the rhythm of my night. Nothing else was said about it.
    When I reported to work on Monday he told me that I was terminated.
    No warning.
    No previous write-up (he said there was one but it can't be found)
    No theft issue.
    No harrasment issue.

10+ years with the company.
    Relocated out of state for the company.

8. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Ugh, that sucks. I think you did the right thing with the grievance. Good luck.

9. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

You know what the sad thing is? The company is probably hurting due to the poor economy. Since you have been with the company ten years and gotten (I'm guessing) several raises and probably a raise to move out of state, it was probably cheaper for them to find a reason to fire you and hire someone else they can pay considerably less.

It's the world we live in. Sorry that happened.

10. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Call Jackie Chiles, best lawyer on the other side of the mason-dixon line.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:confused:

Whew! Ain't that a relief. For a minute, there, I thought their reason was going to be "On that site CLUTCHFANS BBS all day, sir, please pack your bags." :eek:

12. droxford

droxford Member

Well, I hate to say it, but....

1) sounds to me like they were just looking for a reason to get rid of you. when that's the case, the company can usually cook up some kind of hair-brained excuse to get rid of you.

2) If you're in Texas, you're in a work-at-will state. That means that the company can fire you for any reason at any time (barring discriminatory reasons).

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Looks like they were wanting to cut labor costs and jumped on you when they saw an opening. That really, really sucks. If they take you back, you should start looking for something else, IMO, because they will be looking for another reason to boot you, especially if they tried once and failed. Good luck!

14. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Drox is very right.....they can now make up an excuse...

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That really sucks, sorry to hear that.

Like some have said, if they take you back, swallow your pride and take the position back. You need the cash, but you can look around while you're working there. If they don't take you back, file for unemployment and find another job.

Good luck.

16. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

That just happened to my best friend 2 weeks ago. Almost 4 years with the company, she's never had a bad review (a mediocre one, but never bad) never been written up, put on a corrective plan, never consistently late, never lazy, nada. Went into a monthly meeting with her manager and got fired on the spot.

Their "reason"? We're implementing a new policy, we're holding our employees to a higher standard, and you don't make the grade.

She wasn't even allowed to make the effort to "improve" even though she didn't need improving in the first place.

Meanwhile there are other employees who have been repeatedly written up and remanded for not following company policies - these people are still walking around here completely oblivious.

17. macho GRANDE

I agree totally. They can get someone for .60 on the dollar.

The problem for them is that I was WRONGFULLY TERMED.

They have NO papertrail.
    They're probably gonna try to get me to come back to prevent cutting me a separation package or worse yet, a lawsuit.

My moles on the inside are continuously calling me saying how upper mgmt are now scrambling, digging through filing cabinets, and conducting closed door meetings for much of the afternoon yesterday and today. It's hard for them to get their ducks in a row when they have no ducks.

The sweetest part thus far has been when I turned in my grievance paperwork to the big boss and watched as he read it in my presence. His face wrinkled up and then he asked me something along the lines of "Do you still wanna work here?"
    Priceless.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

At best, you can collect unemployment. What you have to be concerned about is your eligibility for rehire.

19. flipmode

flipmode Member

that's all you have to know... :( sorry dude

20. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Did you have an employment contract with them for a set amount of time?