1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I was getting so excited for the season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JR, Oct 4, 2014.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Because this opinion is most likely formed by observation and no substantive evidence that Morey actually doesn't care about coaching, and because the Spurs have a unique situation envied by almost all sports teams, your post fails to make me disappointed in Morey.

I have to believe that any Clutchfans tales of what Morey does and doesn't care about are conjecture and assumption until proven otherwise.

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Not that I care either way, but wasn't Morey quoted as saying coaches don't account for many wins. Isn't where the whole thing came from?

3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

You don't what you are talking about. The garbage you are spouting is embarrassing. Hang your head in shame.

4. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Ive been excited around this time every year for the season but honestly when they didnt fire mchale, i just kinda stopped caring lol i didnt even know preseason started this week. Im sure once the season starts i'll be back to being a rabid homer fan...then mchale will mchale.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

There is nothing substandard about Morey. He is excellent.

Trying to make comparisons to the Spurs and spouting nonsense is just idiotic.

6. NotChandlerParsons

I'm not sure why Morey is being roasted for keeping McHale employed. This org has employed five head coaches under Leslie Alexander. This org has not been the kind to fire a head coach since well before Morey was GM. And back when we hired McHale, our choices were Kevin McHale, Lawrence Frank and Dwane Casey. Nobody was signing on to coach a .500 ball team that looked like it was going to bottom out shortly (and almost did).

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes, he did. And that's why he is being criticized, fair or not.

My theory about McHale's hiring (and now keeping) has always been that he is the only "big name" guy who is willing to do Morey's experiments. Morey wants a coach to do that. But no established coach would agree to it.

McHale is not an established coach. But he's a HOFer who have players' respect.

1 person likes this.
  8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I've gotten the impression Finch designs the offense, now Dunn is designing the defense, all we really need is to hire D'antoni to come up with plays for the last 10 seconds and a badger could coach the team.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Adelman was a good coach, was. He got leverage of the 22 win streak. He was asking more respect than Morey was willing to give. I actually got pissed at Adelman, see I was a Morey fan too and was mad at Adelman. Morey kept dipping his fingers on the roster and more... Rick kept putting them in the doghouse (squid). I sided with Morey and wanted Adelman gone. Egos that kill, soon Adelman had all the power and failed with wolves, Morey has all the power and failed or is failing. It takes a team to win even with management.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Another red flag I noticed is that Morey has some Parsons in him. He likes to be noticed. All this rules he makes up is just for fame whoring. Ask any fan out of the 30 teams and ask them who Morey is, they know. I still don't even know who the spurs, miami, okc GM's are.

The last lol here, "the ice bucket challenge here according to my calculations, if the ice has a deficit in x molecules that means it will freeze upon my... i challenge my kids and my dog also forgot to mention Beyonce and Obama."

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

our badger could probably use a timeout coach as well:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8936306&postcount=9

12. Solaris

Solaris Member

The differences are, Harden and Dwight wanted to be 'the man', to have the ball in their hands at all times. Tim and Parker play differently.

13. tdo

tdo Member

That all comes with experience. Timmy and Parker have 13 years of experience playing together, Dwight and Harden have 1... The chemistry will come, we just have to be patient enough to let it develop.

14. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Can anyone actually find the exact quote? I believe his actual message was more along the lines of talent is more important than coaching. Plenty of great coaches have had terrible years when they had no talent or injuries. Give the worst team in the league the choice between adding Lebron James or adding any coach of their choice and Lebron is going to improve the team more. That doesn't mean coaching doesn't matter at all.

Besides why are people comparing McHale with Popovich? Some people bring up Popovich as if he was some how an option we passed on to get McHale. I'm completely open to a coaching change as an option, but I don't know that any coach that was available is going to measure up favorably to Popovich. Comparing McHale to a realistically available coach seems like a more worth while discussion.

15. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

But the OP JR is a 99er, apparently gives him god status automatically. :p

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The having the ball in their hands at all times false narrative has been debunked with actual stats by I believe aeliott numerous times.

Even if you just look at usage percentage it's not that far off.

Rank league wide by usage%

12. Harden
    21. Parker
    51. Duncan
    76. Howard

Or shots attempted per game and per 36

Parker/Duncan take a combined 25.6 FGA per game and a combined
    31.6 FGA per 36

Harden and Howard take a combined 27.8 FGA per game and a combined 27.6 FGA per 36

The actual amount of real talent on SA is so damn underrated it's unreal. Pop gets so much credit and deservedly so, but people overlook the actual talent of that team. Our stars don't hog the ball much more if at all more than the Spurs stars or any other teams stars. The difference between the Rockets and the Spurs is not simply their stars aren't selfish and our are. Their is a noticable talent and coaching gap.

17. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

The next time someone makes one of these idiotic threads can they at least give us some vision of who they would want taking the reins instead of McHale? And please spare me the Popovich and Phil Jackson arguments, those guys already have jobs. I'm not talking about a wish list, I mean out of the available pool of talent who is better than McHale?

Give me a plan of action, instead of this pointless and endless whining.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

IIRC, it was in one of those radio interviews a few years back. And yes, I think it was in the context of saying talent being more important than coaching, which I don't think anybody would disagree. But he did say that coaching made no more than a few (5?) wins difference per season. It was that number he mentioned that got people's attention. He sounded like he knew what he was talking with data to prove and not just some general impression kind of thing.

It is not unusual for Morey to make that kind of comment. When he says something like that, being Daryl Morey, you would assume that he doesn't just pull something out of his behind but he actually collects data to come to the conclusions.

19. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

5 wins would be the difference between the 4th seed and the 2nd seed, or the 3rd seed and the first seed last year in the west. Or the 4th seed and 2nd seed in the east.

How many games more than 5 do people think a better coach would have made us? We only finished 8 games behind San Antonio. We had the same record as the Heat and they were playing in the east.

20. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

The real question, which apparently Morey did not answer, is how many wins is a good coach worth in the playoffs? He could have left out his other findings regarding playoff wins. Is it 1 win/series for the greatest coaches, and -2/series for the worst?