1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I was charged with loitering at a local park

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Zackery, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Zackery

Zackery Member

Last night, I was given a ticket for loitering at a park. It was 2:20 a.m. and the park supposedly closed at 10, which I had no idea.

I've been worrying about this for the entire day. Does anyone know how much a loitering ticket costs? And if I can fight it or not?

BTW this happened in Southern California. But I still would like to know how much the bail is across the country.

2. Sajan

Sajan Member

i used google.com and it said Loitering tickets usually cost about $100-$500.

3. Zackery

Zackery Member

I'd also like to add that this is my first semi-serious crime. A misdemeanor. I've never had anything worst than a traffic citation before. So I'm not so used to the whole courst system when it comes to these things. Is this going in my records and hurt my 'rap' sheet?

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

you can probably take a deferred adjudication deal and promise not to get in anymore trouble for a year, pay a fine, perhaps do some community service, and it can be dismissed.

if you plead "no contest" it is not an admission of guilt.

it's really not that serious of a crime.

5. SunsRocketsfan

May i ask what you were doing at a park so late? Crazy though sometimes i go for a late night jog. If i run through a park can a cop charge me with loittering?

6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Life is over. Sorry, bro. I knew a guy who got charged with a misdemeanor once...he now lives under a bridge and does odd jobs just to get by

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Where I come from, jerking off in public parks at 2AM is generally considered "low class."

Not passing judgement though.

1 person likes this.
  8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

What the hell were you doing at a park at 2:20 in the morning?

Also, isn't bail something you promise to the court to let you out of jail before your trial? If you're not in jail, why would you need bail?

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Loitering is remaining in one spot for an extended period of time. I'm not sure if you can run and loiter at the same time.

10. Zackery

Zackery Member

Well, on the back of the citation it is referred to as posting bail if you plead guilty.

11. Zackery

Zackery Member

I'd rather not say what I was doing, even with the anonymity on the internet.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Sounds like loitering was a lessor offense than what you were really up to......

DD

13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

OP you could probably fight it just as easy as following my previous counsel, if you have such a squeaky clean record.

while ignorance of the law is no excuse, you can walk into court representing yourself, and with a little lawyering, you can get the judge to dismiss the case.

just say Ipso Facto and Prima Facie.

sounds like a money grab by a cash strapped county.

never mind. you were up to something and it's probably going to be on the police report. if you were engaged in drug activity, whether you were caught or not, the officer is trained to look for stuff like that and hand out loitering ticket if he can't find anything else.

14. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Taking a dump in the park right?

15. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

16. Zackery

Zackery Member

What? Are you telling me that they write stuff on the police report and don't tell you about it? On the citation it just says 'Loiter in park after hours'. Oh and I wasn't dealing with drugs.

17. Asian Sensation

lol...

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Grindr?

DD

19. Convictedstupid

20 to life probably.

20. aghast

aghast Member

In the park after 2am? The plot thickens.

Is it possible that the gentleman was not an actual police officer, but merely another lurker in the park posing as one?

Is your ticket written on the back of a Chinese menu?

Did the officer leave his home phone number on the ticket?

[​IMG]
    If so, it's possible that this whole affair might not affect your permanent record, after all.