1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I want to talk to a knowledgeable Catholic

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Outlier, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

Majority of my family is Catholic. I grew up as a Catholic until I changed into Pentecostal Christian. I want to know what makes Catholicism "right" in your point of view. Why it seems like you guys are 'worshipping worship' or seemingly idolizing saints when it clearly states in the Bible not to do that. Why it's more important to memorize 'chants' than speaking to God with your actual voice and heart. Why most Catholics seem to be overly superstitious and believe in ghosts or vampires and ridiculous things when they really should have faith in God and know such things don't exist. I know there is much history behind the Catholic Church, but don't y'all think a lot of what is the true essence of being a Christian is somehow lost in the mess that Catholics shaped through tradition? I just want to be educated why. I'm sure I have more questions I want to get off my chest but this is all I can think of for now. Thank you.

1 person likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cwBVcsWYJd8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. newAge_Rockets

I'm a catholic and I'll tell you my view. I can't say Catholicism is right, because no one really knows what religion is right. I am catholic because it is the religion that I FEEL connects me most with God (I don't have enough time to write out why). I don't put much emphasis on the saints, in fact saints are hardly mentioned in my masses. Saints are excellent role models (we name parishes in honor of their life), but by no means do Catholics idolize them. I have no idea what you are talking about with that superstitios crap, but I guess there is a small group of radical "Catholics" out there somewhere. Look, Catholics are rooted in tradition, but the most important thing about this church is preaching the word of God, and to go out and practice what is preached in the bible.

In conclusion, the Catholic Church is by no means perfect. There are several issues with some radical people (which there are many since so many people are catholic), some of the traditions are a little silly, but the most important thing it does for me is teach me the word of God and helps me incoorate it into my lfe. I hope I helped.

1 person likes this.
  4. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

Catholic here. Been through 4 of the 7 catholic sacraments.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So, believing in ghosts makes you superstitious, yet believing in God is logical? There is more evidence to support the existence of ghosts, then there is God, which isn't saying much.

6. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

dude, don't come in here with that. the OP is still a man of god, and was asking a specific question about a different denomination.

if you want to get into atheism, agnosticism or whatever, start your own thread.

1 person likes this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2+2 is 4.

If you think it is 5, I will take it upon myself to correct you, in whatever thread I want.

:)

8. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I guess you just wanted to come in and be the turd in the punchbowl.

9. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Can we talk about girls in catholic school uniforms?

#9 v3.0, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I admit I laughed when I read that. There's nothing more amusing than watching two religious folks debate the nonsensical nature of each other's beliefs. Actually not long ago on this forum someone was telling a Catholic he wasn't really a Christian. It was funny.

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

Mock us all you want, guys. Feel happy about it too.

12. CometsWin

So you don't see the conflict in this statement?

1 person likes this.
  13. Outlier

Outlier Member

Nope, in the end, because both parties believe in God. This thread was just me genuinely asking about their differing ways.

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

When I was a Christian, I attended a few Pentecostal churches and all of them seemed to have something against Catholics, in fact whoever preached always had to use Catholics as an example of what God did not want you to do. Then I went to a non-denominational church and no such non sense was preached. Do other denominations focus this much on Catholics? Sorry for the tangent.

15. CometsWin

That didn't answer the question.

16. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I think it's a common misconception among other Christians that Catholics worship and idolize saints as well as Mary. Rather they are intercessors, who help us speak to God.

As for not speaking from the heart...I really don't know any Catholic (and all my friends and family are pretty much Catholic) that doesn't speak to God from the heart. And I don't think many churches chant anymore.

I have a pretty open mind, so I'm not willing to dispel the notion that some souls may have a hard time finding their way "home." Maybe this is their purgatory or hell, and maybe ghosts don't exist at all. Who knows, but I don't really understand the connection between being Catholic and believing in some supernatural phenomena. Vampires though...people actually believe they exist??

Now I can admit, that the Catholic church is sometimes too wrapped up in doctrine, too stuck on tradition. And I haven't really liked the changes to the different parts of the liturgy. But I can say unequivocally, that the Catholic church brings me closer to God than any other religion, especially when it comes to Communion.

17. tomato

tomato Member

All of the critics say the same exact thing about "worshiping saints," so it must have been a talking point once. It's extremely funny because all of the many Catholics I know have never given the slightest impression of that.

18. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I think it is just judgmental faiths and people that have issues with Catholics. Also, being the "big kid on the block" when it comes to largest Christian churches puts crosshairs on your back from "jealous faiths." Remember, churches are run by people... who of course are inherently flawed. Most Christians don't go out of their way to bash other denominations, but there are vocal minorities.

With that said, I dated a Pentecostal chick, and they freaked me the hell out with their talking in tongues, and running down the aisle and screaming and collapsing, and balling, and on and on.

I grew up Baptist (aka "lazy Christian"), but am more non-denominational now and I think a lot of people's problem with the Catholic church is the perceived notion (rightfully so or not) of praying to Saints and the Virgin Mary, along with confessing to a priest - which goes against what they believe to be biblical teachings. Most protestants believe that all of your faith and prayers should be put in Him, and nothing else.

In the end, as a Christian all I care is if you truly believe in Christ and that he died for you. Everything else is semantics.

EDITED TO RESPOND:

I personally know many people of faith that find the idea of needing (or using) an intercessor wrong, or even borderline blasphemous. I think that is where the major disconnect is for many Protestants with Catholics. Some may consider praying to a saint as "worshiping" or "idolizing" for not knowing any better. The same goes for repenting to a priest, when God is the only one that can forgive.

#18 Svpernaut, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  19. SexyButIgnorant

Svpernaut has a good point, in that Christians argue even the idea of an intercessor (besides Jesus) is blasphemous. I was watching Religilous the other day, and I have no idea if this is a true statement, but a Catholic bishop told Bill Maher that Jesus Christ is in 7th place when it comes to who Catholics pray to. Called em Cafeteria Catholics.

I don't think that's a fair depiction of all Catholics, I have Catholic friends who I would believe are saved because of their faith in Jesus Christ, but there are a good amount of Catholics who would fall under the 'Cafeteria Catholics' term. Then again, I'm sure just as many protestants would fall under that.

I know people who think that Catholicism isn't Christian and that the Pope is the Antichrist, but that's just silly. There might be disagreements in the details, but the main message is what matters.

20. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/34473505" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>