1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I wanna take Karate

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Buck Turgidson

NTTAWWT

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  2. TimDuncanDonaut

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kim and Bandwagoner like this.
  4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Not sure whether this thread is a joke, if not:
    Do you want to learn it mainly for physical and mental fitness or for self-defense?

As someone who took it for over a decade, I'd not recommend Karate for self-defense, as most of the moves aren't practical and the majority of schools don't do a lot of full contact sparring and real world applications.
    Kyokushin Karate is more focused on contact and sparring, so it'd be a good preparation for self-defense scenarios.

Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, JKD, MMA and boxing would be in general more effective than Karate imo, if you don't care about the traditional aspects/style of Karate and other martial arts.

Exiled and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

that's a really good movie

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Skeet kune do?

7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, in such a disturbing dark way. Definitely made me laugh out loud in parts.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I try not to think about it too much and when someone’s trying to throw, pin, choke or break your arm you don’t really think about such things

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The 40 Year Old White Belt

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Is this a trap for me?

Whatever, you’re never too old. Go for it.

Who’s the chick in your avatar?

Lastly, @jacoby I love you. You keep doing you, boo.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

This is only acceptable if you pronounce it "kah-rah-tay"

12. VanityHalfBlack

https://www.patreon.com/littleclovercosplay

She's thicc. And, boobs!!!

Xerobull likes this.
  13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

14. SemisolidSnake

Do it. Are you sure you want to do specifically karate? There are tons of martial arts out there. Not that I have anything against karate or distrust your choice.

So, yeah, I say absolutely do it, and for a very specific reason. You'll appreciate it way more at your age. I have a black belt in tae kwon do. I started when I was 8, and got my black belt when I was 11. Or maybe it was 7-10. It's been 26 years. Anyway, it makes for a cool story, but I didn't learn much from it, because I was just too young to appreciate the subtlety of what was going on. I wish I'd take it in my 20s when I could actually make sense of when to block and when to kick and how to perform all the techniques properly. Just applying an adult brain to it would've made a huge difference.

And yeah, it would be great exercise as well, but I think it's likely to exercise your brain as much as anything. Give it a shot.

Yung-T likes this.
  15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I’ve always been interested in aikido because it is so flowing and effortless.

These days the brutal efficiency of Krav Maga seems more appropriate.

@rocketsjudoka thoughts?

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

A friend of mine took Krav for years and thought she could kill anyone that attacked her -- one late night of partying I was laughing at her skills and she challenged me to try. I charged her made a little juke and grabbed her in a bear hug from behind lifted her up and tickled/goosed her on the side. We laughed and laughed -- she was a good sport, but still didn't understand Krav is a scam she just thought she sucked. If you take a martial arts class and there is no sparring it's a scam.

Yung-T, arkoe and No Worries like this.
  17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Had a friend take some self defense classes and thought she was a badass- she just learned how to flip somebody in self defense, so I challenged her(mainly wanted to touch the boobies). So she let me grab her from behind as she would demonstrate how to flip me, I bet her drinks at the bar that she couldnt. I outweigh her about 30 lbs. She couldnt as much as she tried, so I just put my weight down on her and just laid on her for a good 3 mins and just laughed. We then got drunk on her tab and had teh seks. Thank you self defense classes for over-inflating ones ego/capability.

Im not saying taking classes in any form is useless, it shows a person the technique but 80% of people cant and wont execute it.

Yung-T, boomboom and Xerobull like this.
  18. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Rep'd for sexy time.

donkeypunch likes this.
  19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

He drove by a karate school and saw some MILFs picking their kids up. Suddenly this trainwreck of an idea popped in his head......

20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

If you really want to learn about fighting pick a parking lot and name a time. I will kick your a$$ 3 times a week and it will only cost you the money in your wallet. Probably cheaper than karate and eventually you will figure it out.