1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think we need to rethink our inside game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tie22fighter, Jan 16, 2003.

Tags:
  1. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

As much I liked our win last night, I wished we could have more contribution from our inside players. Inside the paint, only Yao can expect the rock on a consistent basis.

The only problem is he is hitting a major wall right now. His field goal percentage is going down. One month ago, he consistently hit tough fade away jumpers. Then he started to miss that. Now he is missing easy 4 feet chip shots. But more tellingly, his rebounds had been going down from regular double digit to 7 or 8 on a good day.

If that is not rookie wall, I don’t know what it is.

On the other hand, I am very impressed with how Griffin is playing. He is starting to develop a very consistent turn around jumper. But somehow he is not getting any love on the offensive end. We got to start calling play for him.

I am not proposing switch role between Griffin and Yao. I think we need to have more inside presence. There were still too much perimeter plays to my liking. If Yao is being doubled or just having an off night (which I suspect will be quite often), we really need to start featuring Griffin.

Any comments?

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I would like to see Griff posting up a little more.

I'm a little tired of seeing him settle for that weak face-up jumper far away from the basket.

He needs to get more aggressive.

3. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Our inside game could be further improved but I not worried as many top teams would love to have what we have. Ming repeatedly got good looks at the basket. If those shots had dropped no one today would be saying the game last night was close.

4. tie22fighter

He is posting up more is because he is not been fed the rock even if he has inside position.

He shoots 3 pointer because that is the only way he can get points.

He had been ignored quite a few times when he had inside position.

5. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Shooting 3's is not the only way Griffin can score. He has the height and skill to do more around the basket, but he chooses to take those horrible line drive bricks from 3 point land. Just because he receives the ball behind the line doesn't mean he needs to shoot it. He is a professional that should know his game is not beyond the arc.

6. Toast

Toast Member

You're not watching the same games I'm watching, then. Actually, in the past 4 games or so, Eddie's been taking his game closer and closer inside. And the rest of the guys are NOT ignoring him on offense. If he's open, he's been getting the ball.

7. Toast

Toast Member

Examples:

vs. Phoenix last night -- 5-12 (0-1 from 3 point range). 4th most attempts on the team (2 players with 12 shots).
    vs. Boston Jan 13 -- 3-9 (1-4 from 3 point range). 3rd most attempts on the team.
    vs. Nuggets Jan 11 -- 5-14 (0-1 from 3 point range). 3rd most attempts on the team.
    vs. Hawks Jan 10 -- 7-11 (2-3 from 3 point range). 5th most attempts on the team.
    vs. Magic Jan 8 -- 6-13 (0-4 from 3 point range). Tied for 2nd most attempts on the team.

So as you can see, he's not living & dying by the 3 point line. Plus, he's been pretty much the 3rd option on offense. So what were you saying about Griffin being overlooked on offense and shooting too many 3's?

8. tie22fighter

"So as you can see, he's not living & dying by the 3 point line. Plus, he's been pretty much the 3rd option on offense. So what were you saying about Griffin being overlooked on offense and shooting too many 3's?"

Somehow, you completely twisted what I wanted to say. The following is what I said in the original post:

"On the other hand, I am very impressed with how Griffin is playing. He is starting to develop a very consistent turn around jumper. But somehow he is not getting any love on the offensive end. We got to start calling play for him. "

I wanted him to go inside. But more importantly, I want his teammate to pass him the ball when he has inside position. I want Rudy to call more plays for him.

9. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I also thought he was playing real well lately. Mostly I like his rebounding and shot blocking. He scores ok, but it seems to be mostly in the early going. He is out a lot of the second half. Is his defense sitting him down?

Still I am seeing progress and it pleases me.

10. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Griffin has been doing a fantastic job inside. I think he is better inside. I don't know why he shoots 3's that much. Anyways, Eddie Griffin and James Posey can average double-doubles. Posey can score inside. Maurice Taylor is all inside. Right now, our strategy is inside-out. Our team is still led by guards. It will change over time.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Griffin is playing better than before.With Yao struggling right now it's important to go to Eddie in the post,turnaround jumpers and dunks along with the occasional 3 point attempt is the way to go.
    Griffin needs to get stronger and is still very young but I hope that he will start off aggressively against the Lakers. Young players get disheartened easily when things are not going right but as long as Griffin and Yao keep on fighting hard they will do fairly well.