1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think we need to get back to ugly ball (JVG Style)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tanlogic, Feb 24, 2010.

1. tanlogic

tanlogic Contributing Member

It looks like the Rockets have been playing over their heads (as underhanded as they are) in the the first half and hitting a wall or teams have scouted/figured them out now...maybe it's time to get back to half court JVG style ugly ball with emphasis on D...I know he's no longer the coach, but some of these guys played under him and can bring that spirit back.

If we are missing shots, at least we can slow it down, work on transition D, and make it a low scoring ugly affair that might give us a puncher's chance.

...if we are not playing strong d, then fine let's make it a race, but these shooting droughts are killing me.

...or are we missing Lowry THAT MUCH? Maybe losing him and Landry around the same time has really got the chemistry off course, but this string of losses started before all that.

Thoughts?

2. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Given that JVG's entire offensive repetoire was "Let's throw the ball to prime Tracy and let him do his thing" I don't think that would work.

< Good. >

3. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

We don't have the roster to play that type of game anymore.

4. anchel

anchel Member

Chemistry

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

God please no. There were few scenarios where, despite winning, I still wanted to pour sand in my eyes and stick a rusty wire down my ear canal. And to hear JVG's raspy voice in every postgame interview saying, "We need to play harder defense" regardless of the outcome...what kind of existence is that? When there is no solace even in winning, and only the cold hard taste of death is your payment for a lifetime of labor? The entire world suffers a little when JVG the coach speaks on the air.

6. trugoy

trugoy Member

So you want to be a defensive team with Aaron brooks and Kevin Martin as your backcourt?

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

the thing is, JVG would still make this team a top 5-7 defensive team. i think he's vastly underrated.

8. homeboy1

homeboy1 Member

Yes, Rick Adelman will throw in the towel on his proven system and resort to the previous coach's game plan. :rolleyes:

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

To this day I miss JVG. People here blamed him for far too many things going wrong. I loved the fact our teams were always prepared, even when we had nothing but scrubs playing for us. We overachieved continuously. I still think they should have given him at least one more year.

10. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

exactly. JVG had the least talented rosters since the tmac-yao era and his teams always over-achieved.

adelman has to get back to getting this team to play hard. right now, i'm seeing a bunch of guys who enjoy jacking up shots but don't want to do anything else.

11. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

And when JVG was here, we b****ed and moaned about his lack of creativity on offense.

I am not a RA fan but give the guy a break. It's not like he has a roster of all-stars. I'd like to see how Phil Jackson and his Zen power would do with this team of scrubs.

12. tanlogic

tanlogic Contributing Member

You're right...just frustration being vented out since nothing seems to be working lately.

The guys aren't playing Aldeman's system either IMO.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I have to give this post its props. I don't necessarily agree with it, but dang it was funny.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What was the Rockets record under JVG when neither Yao or McGrady played?

As I recall, it wasn't pretty.

15. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

completely agree. when you don't have a good team, the only way to keep you in the game is defense. most time defense relies on your mentality and desire.

16. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

There is no JVG style without Mutombo, Yao Ming or Ewing.

It's not the same with Hayes, Andersen, Armstrong and Hill.

17. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Yes it would did you consider the time machine Morey might trade on draft night for? Oh no I said too much :eek:

18. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

Chuck less, drive more.

19. jae713

jae713 Member

You want to run a half court style with a team with no inside pressence on offense, defense, and rebounding. Not a very good idea. The reason we run Adelman's system is because none of the players on this roster can create by themselves on a consistent basis.

20. MandM's

MandM's Member

I think scientific over analysis of a game combined with a coach who stands on the sideline looking like a professor is working swimmingly.

we should be well out of the playoff picture by sunday