1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Think The Rockets Got A Shot This Year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Mar 6, 2014.

1. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Old man has always been a solid poster when it comes to the Rockets. If they win it all this year, it will be a big bonus for me. I'm just enjoying this season watching our players grow up before my eyes. The rest of the league is taken notice too!

2. rocketsmetalspd

Sad to say but Lin does not have good record in the playoffs. With the Knicks he was out because of his knee injury and with the Rockets last year he suffered a injuy to his chest/shoulder area that cut his playing performance.

Lin I hope has a better run in the playoffs this year but he needs to get it going soon. Looks like his bad back will keep him from reaching his true potential once again for the playoffs.

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You do realize that projecting playoff performance based on injury is completely unsupportable?

4. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

5. BullRider

BullRider Member

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

Considering we have only made it out of the first round once in the last 16 seasons, we better go do something this year!

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's see if we can get the number 2 seed. Then I will be onboard that we are a contender. Still don't think we have enough to win it all, but stranger things have happened.

8. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

I think our starting 5 no doubt has championship potential but our bench is our achilles heel. For now.

JHamilton is balling. If he doesn't get spooked by the pressure of the playoffs he could be our Mario Elie.

Asik is still working his way back into game shape and will be a year better than he was in last years playoffs.

JLin is in a shooting slump. Period. Just like T Jones, I look for him to get his stroke back soon. If you've seen the doc or followed his career you know that his pattern suggests that when the stakes are higher he is more efficient.

DMO is a huge X factor for me. He will be a defensive liability against the better PF's and if the 3 isn't falling he's too slow to create opportunities otherwise.

Casspi and Garcia have shown flashes of brilliance but just like role players on any other team their destiny is pretty much in their own hands.

All in all I agree with OMR but bench production will make the difference in any series no matter who the opponent.

9. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I agree with the first line but after that not so much.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Reasonable arguments. But D-Mo is a much better option against the better PF's in the league defensively than Jones. D-Mo's defensive awareness, rotations, blocking out on rebounds has improver significantly this season. IMHO.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think we could win with a bit of luck.

However, I don't think we have shown we're a better team than a healthy Miami or OKC or Clippers. There's a possibility we'll only have to face one of those teams, and that team does not play their best so... yeah, we have a chance.

Like many people have said, the bench is worrisome. In theory we have a solid bench, but they are just not producing. The fact that all of them are slumping tells me it may be a motivation and minutes management issue, which sits with the coach (who has done an otherwise fantastic job).

I think it may do us a lot of good to look for a soft part of the schedule to reduce Harden, Howard and Parsons' minutes while giving the bench more minutes/shots to get into a rhythm.

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

good post. I had forgotten those details of the losses.

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Lin is one of the X factors when considering a deep playoff run. I really think he is good in the clutch, but he needs to be healthy.

14. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Nice post. I like us to win it all as much as anyone on here.

Though until we can show we are able to hang with OKC, Thunder & Pacers..We are not gonna contend this year.

15. valorita

valorita Member

We are unique in that we have 2 players that are the best at their respective positions. That should give us an advantage every single night. Also, come playoff time, I really think that having Asik and the 48 min of elite rim protection is something that no other team can offer. If we want extended success in the post season, the team needs to capitalize those strengths.

16. SacTown

SacTown Member

I could easily see them coming out of the west. I'd be shocked if they won it all their first year due to chemistry needed in the playoffs but anything is possible I suppose.

17. jdhu

jdhu Member

The Clippers are not human, and made up of a fictional radioactive element?

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Yes sir Old Man the Rockets have a great shot at winning it all this season. The teams chemistry has gotten much better since early on. They are playing better defense and moving the ball much better.

19. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

That whole team was put together that year. We just added Howard.

20. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

Jeremy Lin anyone?? no?