1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think it's time for Toney Douglas to start.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EarlIII, Nov 13, 2012.

1. harrypotter

harrypotter Member

Why do people want to see Jeremy Lin fail? If it was some black player like carmela antony or kobe they will be all support all out. But if it is Jlin, rockets fans are happy to see him fail?

Why the double standards?

2. harrypotter

harrypotter Member

aaaasfdasdasdas asdas

3. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

I think it's time for Douglas to be cut.

That's what you meant, right?

4. duteman

duteman Member

I think you missed the point. Lin is a the better PG flat out. I think the suggestion is to move Lin to a 'Harden of OKC' role where he gets probably more minutes than TD even with coming off the bench.

Looking for consistent offensive output and maximizing player skill sets. Makes sense to me, but until TD can prove he can take care of the ball we are really going to wear out harden having him run the offense for more minutes. In theory sounds good, but i don't see it working out.

5. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

TD struggles to facilitate the offense (whether that is because he tries too hard or he doesn't have the skill set im not sure)

Lin allows the offense to run smoothly, he does a good job on PnR's but very little facilitating elsewhere. It is often Parsons or Harden who make a key pass

Lin is still an inexperienced player, he's not the all-star PG some people think he is, but he is good. Toney is a better shooter but he is not an effective point guard. TD should be backing up Harden, not Lin anyway

6. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

Toney is too undersized to play SG, though.

7. jaedenky

jaedenky Member

They're indoctrinated bro, forget trying to reason with these brutes and simpletons. Hate and bigotry don't see reason, it doesn't know logic, it only see's what it wants to see and filters everything out. You can't beat a lifetime of brainwashing and racial indoctrination, these people need to be systematically deprogrammed but sadly it will never happen, they are blissfull in their ignorance and set in their beliefs.

I hate to stoop to these peoples levels but sometimes you have to fight fire with fire, bash their players, be just as unreasonable with them, attack them when they are vulnerable, next time another player makes a mistake make a 50 pg thread titled " _____ is a joke!!!!"

You can't fight against brutes like these with your mind or your pen, sometimes you have to use the sword, cuz it's the only ting they respond to. C'mon Lin supporters, let's start fighting fire with fire!

8. pandaboy99

pandaboy99 Member

In the words of esteemed tennis player John Mcenroe, "YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!"

9. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

Sorry I don't agree with this. Most of those starting those type of threads are people who didn't want Lin in the first place because they wanted to keep the old players or some nutty Knicks fan who still hate Lin because he stole the spotlight from Melo or other players. I don't think it has anything to do with race. Lin is a high profile player, he is going to be watch a lot more closely than other players. Making stupid thread to put down other players is just going to keep the hostility going. I know it's very unfair to Lin to have his every mistake highlighted, but really it's not a big deal to ignore it when you know that person is trolling to get a reaction.

10. VanityHalfBlack

I think it's time for you to stop making threads, that's a start...:grin:

11. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

i'm surprised this troll thread hasn't been locked yet

12. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

BTW I don't agree that Toney should start. Lin can use this time to develop his three point shooting/spot up shooting. That is a area he's not good at. It will only help him in the future. If they aren't going to use him for his play making skills which he is already good at, then he can work on areas he not good at right now. If they don't trade him before his 3 years are up, he can move on to another team if he's unsatisfied with how he's being used on this team and he would have had time to develop other areas of his game.

13. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Seriously Playing Harden Hero ball all the time, is doing no favors to Harden himself.

14. jaedenky

jaedenky Member

Fair enough, I guess we will agree to disagree but it's not only trolls but several long time forum members who do not believe in Lin or think he was a total fluke. Look around on these Lin bashing threads, it's not only a few guys putting him down, there's hundreds of posters taking the stance that Lin in a total scrub.

The thing I don't understand is why these people think Lin has absolutely no chance at improving, they don't believe that an Asian pg can be successful in their beliefs. He is young, good size & athleticism and has proven he can win games. This is where race I believe becomes a factor.

You see, I don't think these people are members of the KKK or anything. They simply grew up with certain belief systems that are ingrained so deep that they do not even know they are there.

Listen, classic western racial indoctrination teaches us that:

Blacks: physically superior athletes, mentally inferior
    Asians: physically inferior and weaker, high intelligence
    Whites: Median levels of physical athleticism and intelligence (judged more individually)

And what I've learned is that sometimes you do have to fight fire with fire, 99.9% of these people will NEVER change, they only understand force, they can't be reasoned with.

15. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Does the thread starter realize Toney Douglas is shooting 10% from 3s and 22% overall, has an A-to-T ratio of <1.5, and is a combo PG without PG instincts and has completely lost his shot.

A good guy, hard worker, decent defender (not sure if better than Lin though), and worth pretty much what the Rockets are paying him and not what he counts towards the salary cap or what the Knicks are paying him to play for the Rockets.

#195 mike_lu, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  16. sando

sando Member

Why do we have so many 5 star threads these days?

17. roxxy

roxxy Member

he realizes this. But unfortunately he wants to see Linsanity & only that. Could care less that his suggestion makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

18. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

It's time for Daequan Cook to start.

Seriously. Ok, semi-seriously. If you look at James Harden's last 5 games (he's been scouted and figured out after 2 games), he is shooting 17.2% from 3s, 33% overall FG%, and TS% of 45.9%. Shoot, that is worth than Lin's. And a big drop-off from his 40%/49%/66% from last year. Bigger drop-off than Lin's.

Ok, not serious at all :grin:

The Rockets don't have the spacing, shooters, chemistry, screening, and PnR personnel that the Thunder/Knicks had last year, and it's impacting both Harden and Lin in a serious manner. It's a team with a bunch of 23yr olds that are improving and need to continue to improve, and get better as a team, and with much time needed for coaches to put in proper sets and for repetition to build chemistry. There is no short-cut for it.

You don't change 13 players in a team, and replace them with basically rookie contract or bird-right players (except Delfino) and with your best player joining the team a week before the first game, to play well.

Have some patience. Lin will eventually get there. Maybe Harden as well :grin: (ok, not serious). In the mean time, while we don't have the shooters, spacing, or the big man, take it as an opportunity for both players to expand their game outside of their comfort zones. You never know, they may end up being better for these difficult times they're going through now ;)

19. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

I think the media plays a part in it. Really I haven't seen anyone involved with the NBA, from writers, to commentators, etc. really stick up for Lin or think much of him or very few has. So when you don't have people even in the NBA saying good things about Lin, that will influence others to not think highly of him. It could be because of race or it just could be because he wasn't drafted and cut a few times and he came out of nowhere so people are not sure where he will go from here. His game is more about using his BBIQ, vision, playmaking than his physicality also and in this game physicality is looked upon as much better yardstick if a player is good or not.

And those people will never change even if you use fight fire with fire not in this case anyways. It will be up to Lin's good performances that will make them change their mind or even then they might now. There are other areas you fight back but really these are just opinions that don't mean much at the end of the day.

20. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

I was about to say that exact thing. We could have Lin play the Harden role but I still don't see Douglas starting.