1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

I seriously don't understand the infatuation with Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tacoma Rocket, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

You're correct, my man...I just mention LaMarcus with those guys in terms of being able to transform his game each year and building on his skill set. Homeboy can post up with a variety of shots, baby hooks, etc. He can face up, shot or drive. Shoot, LaMarcus can even shoot from 20 ft and beyond or put the ball on the floor for a couple of seconds before calmly hitting the J.

Same with Rasheed Wallace. Despite his temper, Sheed's offensive talent is INSANE. From his footwork to that high release shot in the post, to his face up game, he worked every year to develop his skills. His three point efficiency didn't happen over night. He practiced that. When you combine the offensive skills that he already had, plus a highly-efficient three ball, you begin to see the continuum of a complete player. Dwight is about a decade deep with the same ol' ish. 20 and 10 and 3, but nobody is that scared oh him anymore. He's the 50 cent of NBA centers.

Those that are infatuated with Dwight fail to realize that a "fan treat" is when he drops a baby hook or makes a freethrow. We all know that he can grab the alley oop or dunk it harder than everyone else.

Dwight's moves and touches are RARELY gamechangers and because he can't switch things up, he's only doubled when his position in the paint is close enough that all he has to do is throw it down.

It's really disappointing for me to watch. If I had that size and strength and had experience and advice from Dream, Kareem etc...I would at least TRY to expand my game. Dwight has been the same player since his second season.

Again, though, I'll take him on the Rockets because there currently no other center with his size and strength. Maybe McHale will teach him how to shoot from 3 feet.

All I want is a championship, and if Dwight's limitations help us get there, I'll be thrilled.

1 person likes this.
  2. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Last season was considered a horrible season for him and yet he only missed 4 games, led the league in rebounding and helped lead his very dysfunctional team to the playoffs in a very competitive conference.

3. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

4. mrm32

mrm32 Member

5. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Yes, definitely led the league in rebounding, which has been part of his "brand" for years. My point isn't that he's not a good player, especially on the defensive end, but he has peaked by choice. Dwight SHOULD be known for more than rebounding and dunking, but that is who he is. Dwight SHOULD be a player you want to take a final shot in a game, but that's only going to work on an oop or if Dwight is right under the rim. I'm arguing that his offensive limitations are mainly by choice or an inability to channel the desire to be the best damn player on the floor.

But again, put him on the Rockets. He will def help our championship ambitions.

Also, Dwight did NOT lead the Lakers to the playoffs. Not even close. That was Kobe, even though he was injured. Dwight was there as the Lakers were crawling in, but basically was predictable against SanAntonio. And if you're going to bring up the idea of dysfunction, DWIGHT was half of the dysfunction on that team. He couldn't accept a 2nd option role, even though his day-to-day effort , skill-set and leadership yielded that title.

It's all good. I hope we get him.

I'm just not the biggest fan of a center that has all the physical attributes but somehow cannot show the growth that the centers that he aspires to be were able to show.

6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

He did show a nice little spin move in the video so there's that. Lol

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I am all for getting Dwight. I just don't trust his judgement. Especially since the recent changes in LA.

8. Rox23

Rox23 Member

I agree with OP.

Howard lacks heart, he lacks focus, and if we do sign him and we don't at least get to the conference finals--then odds are he will want out of Houston. D12 has as much loyalty to the Houston Rockets as he does to the Lakers. You just wait and see.

Also...don't imagine that the Rox will get to the conference Finals with Howard the first year of his contract, or, the second year even. Transitioning to a center-focused offense takes time (just ask the Rox who played with Yao!) The Rox will have to change the entire nature of their offense, going from run-and-gun to a post dominated, slow-down offense where Harden and Dwight will take turns in iso. 90% of the shots the Rox take on a Howard-led team will be either by Harden or D12 in iso. It will be very low-scoring, boring basketball. But beyond that...it will take a while to change over from the Rox current offense to that of a center-dominated iso offense. Take the Lakers for example. It took the Lakers about five months to figure it out, to transition from their regular offense to a Dwight-style offense. What this means is that the Rox might be horrible the first three months of the season, but then they will get better.

If you want Howard...be patient, it might be years before the Rox get really good.

9. sillyball

sillyball Member

Yes I know. So you can infer from this that I DON'T WANT HIM ON OUR TEAM!!

10. FD_II

FD_II Member

so you haven't noticed this is a superstar league where superstar win championships?

11. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

But your post was just confusing. You said you're all in for 2 yrs, but 5-6 yrs no way. Neither is what will end up happening lol.

He'll either get 4 yrs straight up, or 4 yrs, w/ the 4th yr being a player option or include an ETO, so that he can opt out after 3 yrs. How do you feel about it then?

12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Let me make it easier for you. He's the best center in the league. If we have him and harden, then we have undeniably two positions in our starting line up where we have a top 3 player in the league.

13. BarreKellyJr

BarreKellyJr Member

14. BarreKellyJr

BarreKellyJr Member

[​IMG] Yall hurting Dwight feelings

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

16. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Anyone who doesn't understand why Dwight Howard is the number one Free Agent this Summer doesn't understand basketball.

Every team would love to have a shot at Dwight. Unfortunately most teams don't have the cap room to offer him the Supermax of 88m/4. As Morey and his analytic's team have figured out, Dwight value is actually way way above the Supermax ceiling teams are allowed to offer him.

So everyone can whine and cry about other players like CP3 or Josh Smith or LMA or whoever, but if you don't understand why Dwight is no.1 this off-season then I can't help you.

17. sillyball

sillyball Member

I'd be surprised if he'd accepted 4 years. I heard 5. Sorry if that makes you lol. If he did then maybe. A very weak maybe. I just don't like him. He's not Hakeem and not even Yao. A big risk that would hurt our team for years if it didn't work out IMO. All these people who think anyone against signing him is stupid need to consider that several well respected analyst have said they wouldn't do it. We all have our opinions. There's no need to think yours is the only valid one.

18. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Howard has made it clear previously that the longest he would remain in a Rockets uniform is one year. Furthermore the only reason he would ever sign with the Rockets in the first place is if his other options didn't pan out. You can tell by the things he say that D12 really doesn't want to come to Houston--he'll only come to Houston if he has to. Houston is a small-ish market team with lots of empty seats in the stands and is a loooooong shot to win the championship. It's not New York. Its not LA. It's not Miami. Also Chris Paul doesn't play for the Rockets all the while New Jersey beckons.

19. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I don't want to sound abrasive, but you're honestly just a bit uninformed. First, it has always been at max 4 yrs w/ us because that is ALL the cba allows. LA can offer a guaranteed 5th yr, and months ago, lots of people thought that would convince Dwight to stay -- not only was it LA, but they could offer $30M more!! But people did the math later and saw that 4 yr to 4 yr comparisons, he would make more money here due to the lack of income taxes. So what he is giving up is that 5th guaranteed yr that no one besides LAL can offer him.

People are beginning to think that it doesn't matter much though. New cba coming up in a few yrs and lots of analysts are talking about Dwight wanting to opt out before a 5th yr anyways to sign a new contract that would actually be worth more (due to how salary raises in the cba work). Most stars his age like to angle their way into doing that (ex: the Miami Big 3 all have contracts structured sort of in that way). So it makes it questionable just how valuable that 5th guaranteed yr is if he isn't even planning on using it. Of course, if he ends up breaking down health-wise, that 5th guaranteed yr will look reaaaaal good.

And lately, there are pretty much ONLY analysts who say he should come to Houston (and would). I don't see that often at all these days people who are against him coming here.

I'm not saying those against Dwight Howard have no good reasons. There are legitimate concerns. But people on CF are generally dismissive of them because, frankly, the minority who hold those views tend to be less informed about the nba landscape, the cba and the Houston roster in general. And when met w/ the reasons why, in SPITE of the negatives that Dwight brings, he's still worth it for us to get, they just don't have very good rebuttals.

The only really legitimate reason I can see those people hanging onto is Dwight breaking down even further in time (not just staying relatively stagnant -- that I expect and am okay with), even though he's healed nicely in the latter half of last season, or that he'd bring down the locker room atmosphere. The former is a risk, but all teams need to take risks to win it big, and the latter is overplayed. Bad personalities matter less on winning teams. NYK had much worse personalities and they were fine. Winning tends to solve a lot of whining.

But the real crux of the problem of the anti-DH crowd is their inability to give us any feasible ALTERNATIVE to use our cap space on. If not Dwight, then who?

20. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Ummm. It's been the slogan of the DWIGHT2HOUSTON Campaign for a couple of months now...

TWO MAX NO TAX

I'll give you a hint. It involves a player option and signing another Supermax contract.