1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

I seriously don't understand the infatuation with Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tacoma Rocket, Jun 26, 2013.

1. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Bro we getting Lebron ***** DHO and all the negatives listed by OP that he comes with.

2. eman

eman Contributing Member

Amen to the OP!!! I have written, several times, of my fear DHo will set this franchise back. Too many eggs in one broken basket.

3. sillyball

sillyball Member

For 2 years I'm all in. 5-6 years? no no no If he doesn't work out here he'd be worth almost nothing.

4. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Member

But the basket isn't broken.

Even if Dwight doesn't pan out. Even if he gets injured. If the Rockets ever feel the need to trade Howard, they'd receive a lot more value than whatever it is the Rockets would (possibly) have to give up to sign him... Whether it's through his great play or his trade value, the Rockets win.

There is no reason to not want the Rockets to sign Dwight.

5. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Member

But it would make zero sense for Dwight to even want to be signed for that many years. LOL

2 years???

Think before you type.

6. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Notice how none of Dwight's highlights in the video were of him in a Lakers uni. Just sayin.

7. K1TCH3NS

K1TCH3NS Member

I noticed that too pretty funny, hopefully he's on his way to H-town.

8. dragician

dragician Member

infatuation is good..

[​IMG]

9. Rox11

Rox11 Member

As many problems as he would solve I feel we will get the worst end of the shpeel. If he couldnt be effective with an offensive minded coach in a hof team. How will it be any diff in hou? I dont see a long term with him.

10. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

[​IMG]

11. eman

eman Contributing Member

Respectfully disagree, for all the reasons OP listed.

12. RedHotRockets01

We would have the best C in the game, playing with arguably the best SG in the league. YUP, no clue why anyone would want that.................

13. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Read my post on the prior page in response to OP's. Please let me know which points you are directly refuting -- I am honestly interested in what others' thought processes are on this, and what they're using to back it up.

14. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I just watched that "Top 10 Dwight Howard" plays video.

In comparison to Hakeem, what an absolute joke. Dwight is limited to dunking the ball and blocking the ball out of play.

Shoot, even David Robinson would put Dwight to shame and I hate the Sea Princess.

However, with what's available on the market, I will take Dwight without complaints.

You just have to realize you're getting a center that is very limited offensively.

Dwight is only in the conversation of being a "Max" player because he is incredibly strong and knows how to overpower every other player.

Shaq was the same, except Shaq won championships and actually had a few go-to moves in the paint.

What I will never understand is how Dwight never showed any offensive progress after being the league for nearly a decade.

How can he not have a small jumper by now, or a move that shows an ability to read a good defender, without risking and offensive foul because he lowers a shoulder?

He seems like a nice guy but I would suggest he has a character flaw in his inability to accept constructive criticism from the greats (Dream) and then execute a small portion of it on the court.

As a Rockets fan, I am biased but I feel like my read on Dwight is fair. Physically, he is limited in his skillset, ONLY because he has chosen to not apply the effort and hours of advice others have given him. Either that, or he's mildly r****ded.

Be honest...how has Dwight's offensive game improved in the last 5 years? It hasn't. His numbers are good because of his strength, but damn, with that body of work, he could be a 4 time MVP...if he wanted it.

I respect Dwight defensively, but then again, he picks and chooses which games he wants to be a force. I take that back..maybe he doesn't even realize when he is making these types of choices.

Would he greatly help the Rockets and make them contenders? yes.

Is he an amazing talent? ...I would have to argue no. Hakeem, LaMarcus,Timmy, KG...those are amazing talents that IMPROVED EVERY YEAR in their prime.

I don't think most Rockets fans are infatuated with Dwight, but we're smart enough to know that he is the only big man left with ungodly strength.

Personally, I'd take laMarcus over him. He's walking evidence of improvment each year, and like Dream, proof that players reinvent their games with skill, talent, strength, and what I believe Dwight lacks: the passion to be the best.

1 person likes this.
  15. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

This sums up internet debate pretty nicely. "I am right, you are wrong and hopeless."

16. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Skimmed. Agreed w/ most. Dwight isn't amazing, but he beats our alternatives and allows us to use an "expiring" asset that we have now. We just don't have a better realistic move we can make within the next 2 yrs, esp. as it comes to us using our cap space.

LMA isn't as great as you think imo (putting him in the company of TD and Hakeem or even KG lol), but I would take LMA over Dwight if that were an option. It isn't. We have to give up assets to get LMA, while for Dwight, we need only spend cap space. Our team w/o say Asik or Parsons or something but + LMA <<< our current team + Dwight.

17. jocar

jocar Member

Dude you just joined today! Tacoma Toyota + Rocket isn't fooling anybody here mr. lakerfan :eek:

18. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

You can close a game with Aldridge..you can't close a game with Howard..

19. Bball_Gill

Bball_Gill Member

I can understand it.

Houston has a history of great big men. I like big men. Talk about a flame set up :)

Backing it in, backing it in, backing it in. I enjoyed the bleep out of it and long for the good old days. More fuel for the fire :)

Unfortunately the good old days are gone. If Dwight becomes a Rocket, I will support him and the Rockets. One thing that would absolutely drive me bonkers, however, is pinning our hopes on the great big hope who is injury prone. The league, for better or worse, has moved on, we should also.

For the right big man, I would be there in a second. Younger, healthier and cheaper would be better.

If you are a Rockets fan, I think subconsciously, one is hoping for a (big) man to carry you to a championship. Those are few and far between and may be getting even more difficult to find.

Dwight has not come close to being that guy. He just is to expensive and risky a piece to the championship puzzle.

There are really knowledgeable basketball fans here. I am not one of them. Just thought I would share my gut feeling on Dwight.

Go Rockets!

20. mrm32

mrm32 Member

OP wants a Tacoma when majority of Rockets fans (and management) want a Tundra.