1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I see Brooks in Parker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leebigez, May 12, 2008.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm serious. This is coming from a guy that didn't understand the pick, but just watching Parker since his rookie yr to now and watchig brooks play. Every game that I see parker play the more I'm convinced the rox should start brooks and just get a backup pg.

If u just look at the spurs from avery johnson and speedy claxton to parker, they have never worried about their smaller pg's being posted up. When u really think about it, billups,williams and davis are the only pg's that post up. The sheer speed,quickness, and ballhandling is enough to make him a good pg. The rox just need to stop trying to make him matt maloney. When u see the spurs, parker come off shallow screens above the ft line and pnr to put a lot of pressure on defenses. If the big man doesn't show and hold strong, parker is at the cup. Of course brooks needs to get stronger, but so did parker. Playing with a guy that can be a 1 man fast break is the new trend of the nba. If u can get a guy that can get in the paint with frequency, it gives u easier scoring chances.

Its the vogue thing to want calderon or ford, but I think the rox should just roll with brooks and his upside and back him up with arroyo,dooling or even jack.

2. Asian Sensation

The only thing they have in common is quickness. Parker is a legit 6'2 while Brooks is barely pushing 5'10. Also Parker war pretty polished coming in to the league and he is only 25 years old. Brooks is already 23 and had 4 years of college experience and I've seen him play all 4 of those years and he suffers from inconsistency. I hope he can improve but to just give him the reigns as starting pg? Thats setting us up for failure. I don't know if he will ever be a starting caliber PG and if he will it sure as hell won't be next year.

3. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

if we just "roll with Brooks as our starter" for the next few seasons we'll be a lottery team more than likely.

maybe thats your plan though?

rebuild?

4. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

I could see Brooks has the backup PG next season. Not third string like he was when BJax came in.

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Brooks was choking in the playoffs, don't know why... He was a very good finisher in his college days, in fact he hit quite a few game winners. Its still too early to tell where Brooks is going. Some players develop very quickly, like wade. Some become known after they're traded.... like McGrady.

6. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Head should demand a trade!

7. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

Title should be 'I see Parker in Brooks' IMO.

Anyways... I really don't think Brooks can be like T.P. I just think of a poor man's Iverson.

8. leebigez

First off, if u go look at parker in the playoffs as a rookie u will note that claxton finished a lot of games. That same tony parker was given the job when daniels was heir to take over for johnson. Parker struggled greatly as a rookie even though he was a international pro. Pop stayed in his grill as a rookie because that the toughest spot to play as a rookie. Eventhough parker is 6'2 he's 180 and struggled in the finals guarding billups.

Point being, his positives outweigh his negatives to me. His ability to get below the ft line and collapse the defense outweigh the 3 or 4 pg's that can post him up. He can use the summer to get stronger and develop his 16ft pullup j. I'm telling u this, once he can get that pullup working, his quickness will make him almost impossible to stop. The constant recycling of sorry pg play has to stop.

9. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

If Brooks can score a desperate housewife, then I will see some resemblance. Otherwise, Brooks is Brooks, Parker is Parker.

Maybe Brooks needs to ask Manu to tutor him how to finish around the basket. Parker has learned a lot from Manu in how to attack and finish around the basket. Now, Parker is a master of his own.

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Luckily the flop didn't go along in the course of the finish around the basket.

11. poprocks

poprocks Member

I see Tyrone Lue in Brooks hmmmmm

12. sook

sook Rookie

uhh...No.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'm with you lee. Remember if he's starting, he's playing alongside McGrady. That is better spacing and more room to get off his shot or penetrate. I know he struggled this year but I was so hoping that Adelman would just throw him in there with McGrady and start bringing Rafer off the bench. There's no rule that says you can't sub for him quickly if he is stinking it up. But he needs the experience and he needs to be turned loose to get the drive and finish or dish.

When it was obvious after a couple months that our only PGs were Rafer and Brooks, it just made the most sense to me to throw him out there and let him get his baptism by fire just like Parker did. Parker had Terry Porter, I believe, behind him. Rafer would have still likely got 25-30 minutes per game. But we would have had the kid on the fast track for development.

14. rocketsfaninsa

you mean you see a little of parker in brooks....i hate the spurs but if brooks is anything close to tony parker then we found ourselves a steal that late in the first round!!!

15. leebigez

Since the depature of and decline of kenny smith,cassel, and francis, the rox have been trying stop gaps at pg. Whether it be maloney,sura,threat, email, rafer, or james. They finally have a guy with a great asset. He has great speed and quickness and that's a start. He needs to get stronger, but I can say that for yao. I'm just tired of the team bringing in all the bandaids. Clear the logjam at pg, start brooks and sign dooling or arroyo or make the trade with portland to get outlaw and jack for shane to have the big pg. The spurs have won with johnson and parker eventhough both struggled with bigger pg's.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I saw a lot of Hal Greer in Tierre Brown.

17. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

My hope is that he indeed does become a player like Parker, only Brooks will end up having more range than Parker. He is too fast to not be able to get in the lane. I almost agree to start him next year, because I feel the Rockets are going to be 2 years away from being in serious contention to win the NBA title.

18. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

I see alot of speedy gonzales in aaron brooks

19. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Brooks is a rookie--cut him a break. To me he looks comfortable handling the ball, and his passing is really, really good. How many times did the season did he feed Yao on a perfect bounce pass? That's not normally a good idea with a big man, especially one the size and speed of Yao.

I really think he should have gotten more playing time this season.

20. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

What impressed me is that he improved in the passing department as the season went on.

We always talk about how McGrady can play PG - maybe this is the perfect solution?

T-Mac can become more of a passer if he has Yao, Scola and Brooks to score with him, right?

Would be great IMO. Brooks absolutely needs to get stronger this summer, and play in the big boys leagues to develop. I'm hoping to see a jump in his performance in the summer league.

Then he needs to come to training camp determined, master the offense and do his thing.

I think T-Mac can be the primary playmaker with Brooks becoming a scorer. It would give T-Mac a lot of room to operate as a passer.

I mean really, is Brooks any worse at passing than Bobby Jackson?

I'm more than willing to go into next season with Rafer, Brooks and Bobby Jackson. He can learn a lot from those two guys but at the same time he can steal minutes from those two guys. If he can learn from Rafer's running of the offense, and Bobby's offensive skills, he can really develop well.

His 3pt shooting will increase dramatically next season. I'm willing to bet on it.