1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Quit My Internship

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OrangeRowdy95, Jul 25, 2009.

1. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

To answer some questions. Every job/internship I've ever gotten (more than 10), I've never submitted a resume or been interviewed. Either I already knew the person really well or I previously did business with the employer. I have worked two internships in my life that were unpaid, and those two were with the Astros and Rockets.

I knew my boss because I used to produce his radio show. I got really close to him after he quit the show because he manages more than 60 athletes' money/portfolios (can only name the names in the SI article - Torii Hunter, Rocket Ismail, Ben Grieve, and Kevin Durant - but I will say he has several current and former Rockets, Astros and Texans players). I helped him in the past A LOT. I can't explain more than this for proprietary reasons.

As a result, my boss built a very strong trust and confidence in me. He thought I would be the guy to take him to media stardom. I thought I would be assisting his Communications Director and Director of Business Development (the Communications lady has a pHd from UVA and was one of the original members of AOL or something like that and the Business Development guy is an ex-NFL Pro-Bowler whose job is to bring in new athletes/celebrities/high net-worth clients). Instead, the Communications Director resigned a day after I arrived, and the Director of Development does not come into the office much because all he has to do is keep in touch with people via phone, golf, lunches, etc.

I found myself being in charge of myself. No training was provided. I have no problem with that, because I am pretty entrepreneurial, but PR IS BRUTAL! The industry is all about who you know. Forget about press releases and email marketing campaigns and phone pitches. You need to have an in, and I didn't have anything. I called my mentors, Syracuse alumni, anyone and everyone, and I had nothing to show.

Once again, I didn't need this gig. I already have a job that pays well for my age as a Senior Producer for a CNN Radio affiliate. I've had this position for more than a year now. I did the Chapwood internship solely for experience, live on my own in Dallas, and hang out with athletes. In the end, if my supervisors/clients/bosses didn't want to train me but still expected national-level results, I felt I was wasting their time and money. One of the partners came out on my last day and said "I can't afford to pay you my share of the $200/week." I did everyone (boss, his partners, my hair) a favor and quit.

I worked at a station in Houston called BizRadio last summer and they offered me a producer gig at the end of my term, which I took.

Funny thing as, as soon as I quit this Chapwood gig, I got an internship offer from a publicly-traded accounts receivables management (debt collection) company that paid $600/week, but I turned it down for the sake of my hair (and family, who of course were worried out of their minds about me).

2. God's Son

God's Son Member

cleverly disguised iam the shiznit thread

3. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I don't get the point of this entire thread, did you need an answer for something? or advice?? You quit, good job I guess?

I could have made a thread telling everyone that I had dinner tonight

4. tracymac

tracymac Member

Quoted for emphasis.

5. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

YOU BLEW IT!!!

6. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

They have a concern about their PR business and the boss goes on vacation?

He has much more at stake than you, yet he can't be bothered to do whatever it takes to make sure the business succeeds?

The Business Development Director likely has a very developed list of NFL contacts, yet the principals failed to utilize it?

Even if he didn't work directly with you, he should have been able to make some strategic phone calls and gotten you more of a chance than you had by just <i>Cold Calling</i>.

Be glad that you are away from a business that has serious Leadership issues.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

OrangeRowdy 95..I think you need a pep talk from this guy to get you back in focus. You need to become a closer.

Language NSFW.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y-AXTx4PcKI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y-AXTx4PcKI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

8. Locke

Locke Member

You talk a lot about saving your hair.

9. Madgy

Madgy New Member

It is unfortunate that you had to quit; I wish you success in all of your future endeavors. Now, can I use your Rockets connection so seal the deal on my Graphic Design Internship? :grin:

10. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

No kidding. Now let's get back to real threads about poop and other bodily functions.

11. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Here's a tip in case you ever want to not be a rookie on this site: don't bump year-old threads for no reason.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'd say it's their fault for putting too much on you. It's an intern job, for crying out loud. If they really wanted you to hang the moon and were blown away by your interview, they would have created a position for you that was befitting your responsibilities.

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

THREAD IS A YEAR OLD THE ROOKIE HAS FAILED US

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

LMAO @ the time stamps..

[​IMG]

15. OrangeRowdy95

Hey BBS Community,

Interesting that someone revived this thread. Much has happened since I first started this well over a year ago.

Here are some publications that covered the issue:

http://bit.ly/bY1zan

http://bit.ly/ay5s1t

http://bit.ly/bWDRLe

I have vulgar/angry/threatening voicemails too. Anyone know if it's legal if I post them?

~ OR

16. Karolik

Karolik Member

Would that person in the article be you?

17. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Whoa crazy. Weird stalkerish moment but I used to see you and your brother at random Indian events. If I remember correctly you were a producer for a radio station back then?

Anyway sucks to read about that story.

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Wow...that really escalated from just a thread on a forum.

I was about to question why you were linking to pictures of a news article that you couldn't read...and then I saw the online articles were taken down I guess because your former boss did something or other to have them removed.

19. sew

sew Member

This Butowski dude sounds like a douche.

Hope everything works out for you.

20. OrangeRowdy95

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TzbiV5TyWuQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TzbiV5TyWuQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>