1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I plan to cancel Dish Network. What should I be warned about?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Raven, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Raven

Raven Member

I know they will pull a hard sell, but my mind is made up.

Will there be a disconnect fee? I will fight this.

I know I will need to send the box/remote back, but does Dish pay for it?

Will Dish want their Dish back? Who removes it?

Anything else I should be ready for?

Thanks

2. rawool

rawool Member

When I canceled, they sent a box to return the reciever, though if you use the included return postage, they charge ($15) for it on the final bill.

3. Raven

Raven Member

One last little dig, huh?

Did they want their Dish back?

4. rawool

rawool Member

Nah, they just asked for the receiver/remote back. I was with them for about 4 years ('07-'10), if that made any difference.

You'll probably be offered a few months of reduced programming to stay with them. If not at the time you're canceling, they'll call you back within the next few days with one final offer to change your mind.

5. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

They just leave the Dish there, and if you go to a competitor, like let's say Directv, then the technician can just remove it for you.

I was with Dish 3 years ago and they didn't charge me anything since I was no longer on contract. They just shipped me a box with a pre-paid slip and everything was done.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Make sure you give the equipment back no matter what.

My wife cancelled that **** once and the dumbass told her not to send the equipment back.

3 months later they auto-withdrew $900 bucks from her bank account.

****ing assholes.

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Same thing happened to my folks, finally got a rep to come pick up their crap so they'd refund it. They nearly threw it at him.

8. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

When I cancelled they said they don't want the Dish but they wanted a certain part from it (LNB or Transceiver ... don't really recall).

I told them that there is no freaking way that I am going up on the roof to get anything, plus we are selling the house. They just said OK, don't worry about it.
    So not sure if they sent someone to get those things. We moved so I don't care.

We did have to ship 3 receivers back and like someone already mentioned, they send you the boxes with labels but they charge you for shipping per box. Or you can use your own shipping instead of their labels.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Yeah, everyone else basically nailed. I canceled DISH last November and went with DirecTV. If they ask about the the dish just tell them its on the roof and they'll leave it at that. Just be sure to send them thier other equipment back. I used the box and label that they sent me and left it all at the front desk at my job for the UPS guy to pickup.

10. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

actually if you have a real old receiver, directv just told me to keep it...

11. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

Yeah. I cancelled Dish when I was living with my parents almost for years ago. Sent the equipment back but like you said, they charge for the labels. I didn't know that and just this past month, 4 YEARS after I cancelled, a collections agency is calling saying I owe 35 dollars for shipping labels. Sigh...

12. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

The best thing about Dish is their mobile app . Live TV viewing and you can watch anything recorded on your DVR . Comes in handy allllll the time.

13. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Don't you need either Dish Sling adapter or a box that comes with that built in?
    Thats what I recall. The sling adapter wasn't too expensive though.

14. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Sling adapter is $50. Perhaps the best $50 I've spent this year. With my unlimited 4G from T-Mobile, it really has been fun being able to watch TV literally anywhere. In a car, at a restaurant, during lunch breaks, while doing the #2, at work, whatever. It really is great.

15. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

VERY IMPORTANT - Make sure if there is a cancellation fee, that you pay it right away. Dont expect a bill for cancellation fee. They will send it straight to collections. Take a credit card and pay it right away.

I will NEVER go back to them because of that. I cancelled and had a $120 cancellation fee, which i was fine with. I assumed they would just charge my card but never did. I never got a bill. Then I get a letter from collections saying I never payed this bill that I never got.

Can't stress how angry this made me.

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

-Check your contract status.
    -Return all receivers. Make sure you keep your tracking numbers in the event it gets "lost". Write down the Receiver number (usually begins with an Rxx-xxxx-xxxx) and match it to the tracking number.
    -They may or may not want the LNB(electronic piece on the dish). Depending on the rep, they might tell you to ship it back or face a $50 fee to come get it off themselves. If so, escalate to a supervisor. Some reps are just dicks to exiting customers.
    -They do not want the actually dish on the roof.

17. bj83gc

bj83gc Member

i figured ppl would be pissed if i started a new thread so im posting here,

I just wanted to say that the dish Early Termination fee can be waived if you email them. I cancelled a few months ago when i moved, and payed everything but the $400 fee and they ended up sending to collections because i forgot about it and they finnaly started calling me last week. I ended up emailing ceo@dishnetwork and feedback@customermail.dishnetwork.com and the guy called me 5 min later and said he was waiving fee and taking out of collections and was sorry for all the prroblems.

Just a FYI for all the dish customers on the edge becasue they cant watch the rockets or astros.

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

What did you say in the email and how big of a fee was it?

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I cancelled my DirecTV back in december - my receiver was old enough that they didnt want it back they just wanted the programming card mailed back to them so I sent it in their SASE they sent me.

The only annoying thing is that right after I cancelled I got about 2-3 calls a week for 2-3 weeks trying to get me to re-sign with them. They offered my this promo and that promo etc. I still get an email and a phone call about once a month still asking me to come back.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member