1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I need help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by right1, Oct 5, 2002.

1. right1

right1 Member

I do not want to start racial profiling in any way, but I am a little worried. First of all I know and am friends with many Arab-Americans here in Houston. Great people. But the 3 guys I saw at my neighborhood grocery store gave me reason to be suspicious. Their demeanor, I don't know, something about them concerned me right away.
    These 3 guys walk in right before me laughing and speaking Arabic, I guess. The oldest one, about 45, had, well I just got a bad feeling from him, I guess. The other 2 men were around 25 yrs. old. I see Arab-Americans all the time, but there was something different about these guys. They were moving pretty fast and picking up bags of potatoes, fruit, etc. I stood about 15 ft. away while showing my daughter different fruits. Don't know if they thought I was listening to them or what, but they came right behind me and stood there. One guy said, "remember the joke?" In the reflection off the fruit stand I could see the other guy nod, yes. I didn't turn around.
    Now, walking around the store they knew I was looking at them. After a minute longer I passed one of them on an aisle and he kind of waved hi to my baby. I smiled and looked at him and he asked me her name. It's an unusual name that's found in the Bible and it means the same thing in Arabic, too, I think. His eyes got kind of big when I said the name and he repeated it. Nothing too unusual. Maybe I'm just freaking out. Well, he says to me, "you sound like you have an accent where are you from?" I told him Mexico and asked him where he was from. He said Pakistan. While his attention was apparently on the baby still, I asked him if he lived here and without looking at me he said, "yes." I asked, how long? After a very brief pause and without looking at me he said, "10 years." When I asked him when was the last time he went home, he said "last summer."
    This took place in about 10 seconds and it seems he didn't want to talk anymore and walked off.
    I ran into the other 25 yr. old on a different aisle and asked him if he was from Pakistan, too. Yes. What town?, I asked. He told me Karachi. Now I know there is a lot of anti-American sentiment there and tourists have been killed in the past. I have since read that you can see people standing on street corners there collecting money for the jihad. He told me he had been here "one month." When I asked, he told me he didn't know when he was returning home. They didn't want to talk to me, really, and the oldest one was moving around quickly and wouldn't even look at me. I got a really eerie feeling from him. Maybe, I'm just freaking out? But 2 million Afghan refugees have poured into Pakistan already. How many of these do you think were Taliban fighters or in Al-Qaeda? There was already Anti-american, pro-jihad sentiment there, now what is it like?
    Again, this happened in Houston. In a small neighborhood market in Spring Branch. I don't know if there is any cause for concern. Again, maybe I'm just freaking out? I've lived here over 20 years, however, and have travelled all over the western hemisphere and have a good idea when something is a little suspicious. Of course, not just because they are Arabs. The look in their eyes, they way they walked and talked. I just don't know. I seems like they had just arrived here and had some intent. You know? Maybe not, though? Maybe one was in school here and the other was visiting and the other was an older uncle? They didn't look like they were family members. I don't have their license plate or what car they were driving. I go to that grocery store all the time and have never seen any Arab-Americans there, EVER. It's a latino neighborhood mainly. The man near me also thought something seemed strange, too, because I saw him mouth to his wife in Spanish, "son Arabes?" Whatever. I have no info to give the FBI anyway. And I apologize to all peaceful immigrants from Afghanistan and Pakistan, but I'm concerned. Houston is obviously a major terrorist target and we ought to be concerned.
    I think it was fba34 in Malaysia? Could you post the name of that Pakistani band that stands for peace and tolerance? I would have asked them if they had heard their music, but I couldn't remember the name. I hope I'm just freaking out? I don't want to place any unjust suspicion on anyone. What do you think? Help me out here.

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Well, from what I've read, people who have ran into actual terrorist usually say that they are quiet and evasive, or angry and nervous. They may have been a bit annoyed because they cought you giving them suspicious stares.

3. right1

right1 Member

The older guy seemed angry, nervous, quiet and evasive. One younger guy was evasive, a little angry and a little nervous. The other just seemed quiet and evasive. I hope it's nothing, but it's naive on my part to think that there aren't terrorists in our presence. 6 arrested yesterday in Oregon and Michigan. I'm sure there are people in Houston with bad intentions. I wasn't really giving them suspicious looks, I was trying to be friendly by smiling and talking to them.

4. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

dude, if it was quiet and nervous white people, would you be suspicious?

just because someone is from pakistan doesnt make them evil.

5. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

He went out of his way to say that he was trying to avoid racial profiling. So you accuse him of it anyway. Are there white terrorists? Absolutely!!! Do most of the terrorists come from the Middle East? Absolutely!!! If they were acting strangely then some vigilance and thought is a good thing, regardless of race. Maybe if we hadn't dulled our senses and dismissed suspicions in the name of political correctness than maybe we wouldn't be so vulnerable to attack.

6. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

Jello,

Surely you are better than that. In an idealistic world, I agree with your simple premise of 'fill-in-the-blank-with-a-different-group-and-see-if-it-changes-the-equation' rationale. However, painting with such broad strokes is naive and myopic. We live in a world of context. Everything must be viewed within the totality of the circumstances. Right1 went out of his way to disclaim any sense of profiling. You took the easy way out and, instead of engaging him on the subtle nuances of his experience, decided to simply level an implied accusation toward him. Great discernment.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How many terrorists were there from Pakistan?

8. right1

right1 Member

dude, I get suspicious of white people all the time. There are white people with evil intentions and there are people from Pakistan with evil intentions. I have friends from Pakistan, Iran, Saudi, India, just about everywhere really. Did you not read my post at all? I said I apologize to all peaceful Pakistani people, but I saw 3 guys that I got a really bad feeling from in a time where, believe it or not, people in terrorist organizations from that part of the world, and this part I might add, want to kill men, women and children in the United States of America. There are many, many good peaceful people in Pakistan and there are quite a few violent, terrorist jihad-men, also. One of these terrorists possibly being Bin-Laden himself. So, yes, I do get suspicious of some quiet and nervous white people and, no, just because someone is from pakistan doesn't make them evil. that's right. And, Clutch, I'd like to change my moniker if it's possible. I hope I'm really wrong about these guys, but I'm not so naive to believe that there aren't people here already with evil plans- white, black, arab, whatever. Just be peaceful and do good works and the evil will subside.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What exactly do you want people who respond to this thread to tell you, right1? Seriously. I'm cornfused. I'm guessing there are 2 veins of thought in the responses you could possibly get...

1) Hey man, you did the right thing, no reason to doubt yourself - it was understandable.
    2) Hey man, you suck, you shouldn't think like that.

Are you looking for people to respond in one of those two ways? Or maybe you just want a hug? :D

10. right1

right1 Member

I guess I just wanted a hug:D . I also wanted to know the name of the Pakistani band that stands for peace and tolerance. What would you do if you had very valid, not so vague like mine, suspicions that someone was a terrorist? Would you call the police? I guess that would be a good start. They would then contact the FBI if they thought it necessary and set up surveillance? Sorry, I guess I shouldn't have posted anything. Just know that they're here :) . Carry on.

Were Mohammed Atta and his fellow terrorists shopping at neighborhood grocery stores, frequenting restaurants, bars and clubs before all, how many?, 19 of them acted in killing over 3,000 people? oh, yes. How many people did they meet, talk to and encounter here before they did this? A lot. Some of them had lived here for years, some of them took flying lessons. You know all this. And, you remember the thread and article about the lady who who talked to Mohammed Atta while he tried to get a loan to purchase a cropduster airplane? She was very suspicious, but what did she do? You got it. How many terrorists are there living in the United States right now? I don't know, but my guess is that you're not gonna be able to count the number on your fingers and toes. Where do they live? Probably somewhere near you sorry to say.

I certainly wouldn't expect answer #2, Dr of Dunk.

11. right1

right1 Member

#11 right1, Oct 6, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2002
  12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Cool, thanks.

13. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Perhaps it is <i>Junoon</i> that you are thinking of

14. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

When I read this it didn't occur to me right1 was pro-actively seeking out people in regards to their race, skin color, or religious affiliation but their suspicious behavior. We should respect and commend right1 for his heads up in being an active citizen of his community. This bull**** of being racist is groundless. If terrorist attacks are going to be averted guys like right1 are going to be the ones the nation needs most. This wasn't enough to give the FBI or anyone else probable cause to look for these guys or issue a warrant for the immediate arrest of these guys but it is important to be aware of suspicious behavior or activities in your community if the rare instance occurs that there is terroristic activites going on in your neighborhood.

15. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

man i cant name one band from pakistan. do you know how far pakistan is from malaysia? except for both being called islamic countries, i'm not sure we share much else. we probably identify more with india since indians are the 3rd largest number in the country after malays and chinese.
    maybe you want to know our favourite bollywood movie? that maybe i can help.

maybe its junoon like mango said.

16. right1

right1 Member

Sorry fba34. I thought you were the one that started the thread about the pakistani band a week or so ago. My mistake. It must have been someone else. It was junoon, I believe. Thanks mango.

17. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

Do what you feel... if your gut told you somethin is up then do what you need to do.... but just ask yourself.." Did I over react?" ..... I think in your heart you know what you should do!!!!