1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I miss you Rick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 20, 2014.

?

Do you miss Rick?

1. Yes

153 vote(s)
    79.7%
  2. No

39 vote(s)
    20.3%
  1. hakeemthagreat

I think he means shooting percentage wise. Harden under Adelman would be CRAZY numbers wise

2. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I agree, that's why is said it's closer to, as opposed to "exactly like". I'm taking "offensive set" to mean running pre-designed plays. I'm saying as a comparison, Adleman's offense is more taking what the defense gives you, like McHale's. They're not mutually exclusive and no team's offense runs purely one way or the other but McHale has more in common with D'Antoni and Adleman than Saunders, Vogel, or Carlisle who tend to call set plays the majority of the times down the court. It seems to me that people here think it's the other way around when it comes to Adleman.

3. Omer

Omer Member

Lol T-Mac in his prime would be the best player on this team and MVP.

4. scottie brooks

Carl "the voice of reason" Herrera.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Eh. The current philosophy tries to mimmic the princeton offense, but as others have pointed out it doesn't make any attempt to run specific sets or plays, which add versatility to the offense and keep the defense on its toes.

6. hakeemthagreat

Um, do you remember that roster? I do. Least talented, undersized, injury plagued and had the most turnover of any team in the NBA. That team shoud've been where the Sixers are now. Who exactly was responsible for making that team competitive?

7. scottie brooks

Chuck "wagon" Hayes.

8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I miss having sex with this nineteen-year-old girl in Shanghai named Zhang Xu. I don't miss Rick Adelman. You guys are so romantic.

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

The post that I quoted twice mentioned efficiency so unless the poster doesn't know what efficiency is then I don't think that he meant FG%.

Why do you believe that Harden's FG% would be "Crazy" under Adelman?
    Harden shot 43.8% and 45.6% the last two seasons as the Rockets #1 option.
    Tracy McGrady shot 41.9%, 38.8%, 38.7% and 43.6% in his 4 seasons playing for Adelman. Likewise Kevin Martin shot 43.6% an d 43.0% in his last two seasons playing for Adelman.

Why couldn't Adelman help their FG%? Who's FG% has been that much different under Adelman?

10. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

clap trap. Get over it.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Letting Rick walk was the biggest mistake Morey and Les have made so far. We would have made better progress with him. The dude is a disgustingly under appreciated and under-respected coach. Other than Pops, he's the best there is right now.

12. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Remember what was said about all those Adelman Rockets teams: The team is greater than the sum of its parts...suggesting Adelman got the best out of his players and put them in positions to succeed. You don't hear that phrase ever used to describe any of McHales Rocket teams. McHale has been getting status quo from his teams which is the last reason you'd pay a coach. You pay a coach to get the team to play beyond it's expectations. Adelman has a proven track record doing that. McHale does not.

13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

In the history of basketball, when has any team with two superstars ever been considered to be greater than the sum of it's parts?

That phrase is used for a team without high end talent. Of course it's not used on a team with Harden/Howard.

We could go win 65 games and an NBA title and nobody would say that we overachieved.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. NotChandlerParsons

Brooks and Hill? On that last Adelman team I recall Brooks getting benched for Lowry then traded in short order. And playing Jordan Hill...well we were already starting a 6'6" guy at center (love you Chuck), I'm pretty sure that was out of necessity.

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

For some reason I think We would still have Kevin Martin if Rick was coaching here lol

17. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

18. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Instead of Tarik Black losing us games, we'd have Brad Miller losing us games.

19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I love Rick but we also need to look at that roster that he had vs the one we have right now or the one Van Gundy was given. Do we honestly think Rick would do much better with this current roster. RICK had Yao at his prime Battier Ron Artest Kyle Lowry Aaron brooks pre injury Scola at his prime Carl landry Dikembe Mutumbo and Tmac even. He had a solid rotation and no one should argue that. Right now this team besides, Dwight Harden Beverly Jet and Ariza and possibly Tjones and kpaps potential are just Crap. There is no better way to describe this roster. As I have said since the beginning we are an injury away from Harden and Howard to missing the playoffs. Whether it is Les not wanting to pay for a quality team to surround Dwight and Harden or is it Morey just Morey way too involved in the coaching decisions is unknown to me. But Morey has planned so far ahead that he does not see the situation now. Right now we really do not have any assets to trade except for the players we really do need on this team. So we are in a predicament. We have also created a team similar to that of the last Van Gundy days that we know has not work. We are extremely predictable. That is why i feel that inless we get some more multi dimensional players the results will always be the same. That is why we have trouble with the Thunder, Grizzlies, a fully loaded Spurs, and any well rounded team. It doesn't take One or two or three Superstars but an entire team that even includes the bench to win. Unless we figure out a way to add to this roster the blame does not fall on Mchale but Morey. Would Rick do any better with no front court depth and a bunch of rookies off the bench? I don't think it is fair to put the blame on Mchale. During the last seconds the ball is going to Harden. Then with no Dwight to lob there are only three point shooters standing around which can be guarded with ease. We need depth now or we are just wasting Harden and Dwight's time. They are also wasting season ticket holder's time and money and anyone that bleeds Rockets' red time. Addition by Subtraction was Morey's way of covering up the fact that he screwed up during the offseason and did not move quickly enough to fill in the holes. By the time we get that third star our two Stars will probably be semi broken with the minutes and usage they are getting. It is happening now and it is definitely apparent. Where is CD and Patterson to make the bold decisions to make this team better when you need them? If we have a fully loaded roster and Mchale still looks inept then it is on him and we can start crying out for a guy like Rick. The fact is he had Kevin Love and Martin and company and still couldn't find a way to at least somewhat get close to the playoffs.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I miss him being in the NBA and his death stare but not necessarily coaching the Rockets....

Someone solid like SVG would do the job for me