1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I might have been wrong for Cato

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketmike, Nov 4, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Rocketmike

Rocketmike Member

Ok, I'm saying it right now, maybe I was wrong. Long before I joined the BBS I screamed for Cato's head on a platter. But if this guy plays like this I'll take it. I know its only 3 games in, but man if he can come and give us between 20-30 mins a game shoot 5-10 times a game and average between 8 - 12 ppg with 8 - 10 rpg I'll take it. He may be over paid and I hope he takes that into consideration when it comes time to talk money again, but you can't ask for a better compliment to Yao. A guy who scores efficiently, rebounds and doesn't ask for too many shots? Gosh, sure we could ask for more for our money, but you won't hear me complain again unless he goes the other direction. I feel like he should play for the minimum for the next 3 or four years and donate his salary to local charities because hes definately not worth what he was making, but he certainly seems to be more valuable this year than any past. Anyways every time I came on here and said he was a dog I got dogged so its time to eat some crow.

Mike

2. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

be careful there mister....10 shots? thats more than yao takes :eek:

3. Rocketmike

Rocketmike Member

I would certainly hope he gets about 5 honestly. The post was written in haste with my son screaming his head off.

Mike

4. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

I've respected Cato as a player more ever since last season...he accepts his role graciously and does what he does best, blocking shots and rebounding...he's also a defensive demon and is a favorite of Van Gundy's, which is saying a lot....

Him and Mo T complement the PF spot perfectly because they each bring different games to the position...

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

If Cato can get 10 high %age shots(dunks, quick layups) from passoffs from Yao and convert them...he is more than welcome to take them.
    What I dont want to see from Cato is him taking them from further out than 5-7 feet or so...he can make those pretty well....but I much prefer he recieves the ball inthe paint for an easy bucket.

You arent the only Mike eating crow tonight..
    Mike Neulin was on the postgame show talking about how impressed he was with Cato even tho he had been slamming him for a while.

I ragged on Cato in the past,but his play over the past season and some has been much improved....but even his strides last season dont hold a candle to what he has been up to so far this year...

If you look at a breakdown of what starting PFs make...and even what backup centers that are 7' make...you will see that he isnt that overpaid..matter of a fact, I would wager that he is actually earning his money this year. Just dont give him a huge raise in the future, since he is not worth more than he makes now.

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I confess as well.

No more court potato references for Mr. Cato.

7. famicom

famicom Member

didn't u get that one post where cato is the new otis thorpe?? heh

8. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Cato might get a pass for a dunk, but he cleans up around the basket and that is where 90% of his shots should come.

It doesn't look as though he's too concern with passing the ball outsode when he gets a rebound. He dunks it fast and draws the foul.

VG will never argue about that.

Cato is agressive and understands his role with the team.

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

Im glad alot of us were wrong about Cato, especialy concerning his ability to play the 4 for long stretches. Granted, Cato as a 4 is still a work in progress, but I like what I see. If he could give us 10-11 rebs and a couple of blocks, Id be pretty happy.

Keep proving me wrong Cato. :p

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

"Cato is our Oakley"

-Jeff Van Gundy

11. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

I love what Cato is doing. However it is clear to me that we must get EG back. The reasons are numerous but one of the most glaring one is MoT who even as a player, with less weight, continue to look woefully inadequate. Thanks god Cato was able to adapt. As more and more people get comfortable with JVG they seem to be performing better. EG will be no exception.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Wouldn't it be nice if Griffin ever got back and became the kind of rebounder Tyson Chandler is turning into? That was my hope all along with Griffin... Just be an active rebounder, get some put back shots, run on the fast break. That would be enough.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

:confused:

Eddie is a lackluster player, who doesn't care about basketball and who abandoned the team.

Taylor meanwhile, worked his ass off all summer and, due to his unfortunate injury, is trying to get his timing back; For him, it is still effectively the preaseason. Give him another 3 or 4 games to get his timing back. THere was a reason why JVG was playing him in garbage time last night.

MOre importantly, Mo is easily the most offensively talented PF the rockets have; light years ahead of Cato/Griffin. Having his scoring off the bench is going to be a big plus when he gets back into the flow.

14. Sane

Sane Member

I just want to make one thing clear:

I dare anyone who says that Cato is overpaid to crunch the numbers. Cato makes less than the average starting C, and more than the average for backups. I think that's EXACTLY his value.

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Exactly! ;)

throw in the fact that he is doing well at two positions now, he is definitely worth his money now.

Find me one other player that has his size and plays both the 4 and 5 effectively(especially defensively) for the money Cato is getting.

Ill bet it would be a very short list.

16. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

great post..

you continue to hear how much Cato complements Yao but I think in some ways Yao brings out the best of Cato.

Cato clearly does not have the offensive presence and as the lone post player (pre-Yao), teams were able to somewhat focus on him. With Yao, he can just slide in and get effort points since the focus in the paint is on someone else.

But props to Cato. He is giving us EVERYTHING we wanted from the likes of Brian Grant, PJ Brown etc. Keep it up Cato!

17. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Cato brings a physical presense in the line up which is very intemidating to player on the court im sure. Thats y i think JVG likes his play and lets him start IMO

18. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Sam, MoT despite the best of intentions, MoT can only take you so far. He is short and slow and limited in the amount you can rely on him for. If he is hitting his shot then you can get something but you can say the same about EG, but at least with EG you get better rebounding and better defense.

No matter how we feel about EG, it is still cheaper for the team to help him along than to replace him. If he ever gets it together the outlook for the team will even be better that it is.

19. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

I am there with you. I love Cato. He is intense and active... a great compliment to Yao. I wish Yao could get as fiery as Cato sometimes.

Stuart

20. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Let's just pray the additional minutes and constant banging doesn't put Cato on the IL :(. Stay healthy my man!! get me those rebounds and blocks in my fantasy league!!