1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I may lose my dog tonight :(

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SunsRocketsfan, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

SunsRocketsfan,

Do you think you will get another puppy of the same breed after your mourning period and do it again? Or, are you done? It's probably a tough question to answer at the moment. There is nothing that brightens a home more than a puppy imo.

2. SunsRocketsfan

Losing Yoshi has really been very hard on me. It's been incredibly difficult and I continue to try and hold my self together. But I know I will eventually get another puppy. I now realize I love dogs and will want to do it all over again. Yoshi gave me so many special and happy memories.

I'm not sure about the same breed though. For those of you that are familiar with Akitas they really are quite energy draining :) We always said our next dog would be his smaller cousin the Shiba Inu. Even have a name set already :p

3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

So long story short, we already had a male boxer named Kobe and were looking for a sister for him. When we adopted our female boxer we named her Yashi since the two names "Kobe, Yashi" reminded us of Kobayashi which is a real Japanes name (and also a street here in Houston). Kobe Yashi easily rolls off the tongue.

4. SunsRocketsfan

Kobeyashi the hot dog eating champion? :)

I think I came across a Akita and Shiba Inu combo on google image search that was named "Kobe" and "Yashi".

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

I'm sure if Kobe and Yashi were still here they would give Kobayashi a good run for his money in a hot dog eating contest!
    [​IMG]

6. the shark

the shark Member

I'm not bending your words at all. Yes putting your pet down is very hard. Nobody said it was easy. I have two kids, would the pain/loss I felt from losing one of my pets even compare to possibly losing my child? To me the answer would be no. However that's just me. If someone else would who am I to say it's wrong that they feel this way? That you don't get that, that's ok as well, because it wasn't your experience.

That said, sorry you lost your dog back in 2010. At the end of the day pets have a way of bringing out emotions in us that some humans can't. They never judge us, all they do is love us, and I for one feel very blessed/grateful that I got to experience that.

It's all good.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

HOLY **** having your dog dies sucks. holy ****. Came home and he's just laying there.

He always eats things he shouldn't eat and then throws it up. Like weekly at the very least for the last 10 years, and that's just what I see. Looks like that's what happened. Vet doesn't know exactly what caused it... if he just ate something recently and choked on it trying to throw it up, or if he ate something that damaged him so bad on the insides he passed. Either way, it sounds ****ing awful.

Wife and baby are coming home so I have to stop crying like a b**** but ******* this is ****ing terrible.

RIP Tobey. My boy. I hope your 10 years were good.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Heartbreaking

Geezus I'm so sorry.

9. SunsRocketsfan

I'm so sorry about what happened. Hope he had a good 10 years as well and didnt suffer too much in the end. Hang in there and hope you can find support from your wife and baby too.

Yoshi once ate 5 pounds of chocolate from Sees candy. It didnt seem to phase him one bit though. He was still his crazy energetic self.

I still tear up when looking at Yoshi's pictures and thinking back of him being around. It's been over a month and the house still feels so empty with no one to greet us when we get home.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Damn. :( RIP, sorry for your loss. At least Tobey lived a great 10 years with your love.

I have a 10 year old Beagle, and one of her "pups" that's now 8 years old. I dread the day....

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Oh man, this is terrible. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Sorry to hear that. :(

13. the shark

the shark Member

So sorry to hear this, and my heart goes out to you to find him like that.

Hang in there Haymitch.

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Damn, you didn't even get to spend his last moments together. So unexpected and flat out f'd up. Why do these dogs have to grab our hearts the way that they do?!

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What sucks the most is that I could have done something this morning to save him, but didn't (assuming it was something he recently ate and not a long-standing issue - he's had a heart murmur for most of his life).

I've always been overly cautious with my dogs (I have two others) and have even taken them to the ER for things that turned out to be nothing. (Tobey had previously been bit by a squirrel, scratched by a stray cat, and drank some coffee. All of those were trips to the doggy ER and he was fine every time.) They're all always current on their shots and get expensive "healthy" dog food.

So this morning as I was leaving he acted like he was about to throw up, which like I said is a regular thing due to his eating habits. I could have stayed to watch him but I just left, assuming this was like every other time. He was otherwise fine, walking around the living room and going to the gated area of the house for the dogs as I was preparing to walk out the door. So again, I thought nothing of it and left.

Some time after getting to work I started to feel worried, even talking to coworkers about how he eats random things and gets sick off them. It was on my mind. At one point I decided to just leave for the day and go home to check and make sure he was fine, and that's how I found him.

So why, after all these years of being overly cautious and careful, why did I choose this one thing to brush off. I don't know. And that's the worst part. I wasn't as mindful as I should have been and he died alone as a result.

16. the shark

the shark Member

Don't do that to yourself.

I know nothing I can say will make you think differently. Sounds to me you treated him great, and would (and did) anything for him. It's just one of those things that you're never going to have an answer.

Sorry you're hurting my friend. It's never easy. That said allow yourself to grieve. Hang in there!!

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very sorry to hear that. What a nightmare it has to be for you to come home and find that.

Nothing you can do other than to grieve. Allow it to happen.