1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I love John Hollinger [ESPN Expert ratings on the rockets]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by awo86, Oct 25, 2007.

?

Where will we stand?

1. Southwest Division 1; WEST 1

71 vote(s)
    37.4%
  2. Southwest Division 2; WEST 2

52 vote(s)
    27.4%
  3. Southwest Division 2; WEST 3

43 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. Southwest Division 2; WEST 4

12 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Southwest Division 2; WEST 5

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  6. Southwest Division 3; WEST 5

8 vote(s)
    4.2%
  7. Southwest Division 3; WEST 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Southwest Division 3; WEST 7

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. awo86

awo86 Rookie

So I was reading ESPN's prediction for the rockets, and franky, I think most of them are r****ded. That is not because they don't love the rox, but because of plain stupidity. <br>EX: Greg Anthony marked us at 2 in our own devision and yet put us fourth in the west. That's just rediculous. The top two southwest team in the west will have the top 2 record. Plain and Simple. <br>EX2: And how about Jon Barry and the noobie J.A.Adande? How can we have the sixth best record in the West when we had the top 4 record in the NBA last season with our additions, do we really need juwan howard that much you tards'. Barry = traitor. Adande is homering the Lakers i guess.<br>
    To sum up, John Hollinger made the most legit prediction. Being the only analytical guy who is smart (unlike Ex-basketball player), We should all trust him.<br>
    Anyhow, here's the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-HoustonPreview0708

Comment.

2. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Jon Barry is a VGD supporter.

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

who cares?

4. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

exactly

5. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Honestly I would rather have the national media under rate us at this point, and you can't really blame them considering it has been 10 years since we last made it out of the first round. I definitely think we have the talent to contend for a title this year on paper, but until we prove it in the post season we won't be national preseason favorites.

6. chicho

chicho Member

WOW.. i just read this and John Hollinger just became my favorite analyst.

*** - Jon Barry

:D :D

7. mzymmm

mzymmm Rookie

SOUTHWEST: 3 | WEST: 5 Tracy McGrady hasn't won a playoff series in his 10 pro seasons and Houston has likewise failed to win a single round in the same span. I think both droughts end this season, but that's as far as I'm going. Professor Hollinger is on his own with the bold Rockets talk.
    --Marc Stein

HAHA, Professor Hollinger.

LOL The Professor!

8. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Predictions,predictions
    I HATE THEM!

9. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree, I would rather fly under the radar screen, but I don't think it's going to happen this year. The rockets finally have some knife fighters ie(Bonzi, James, Scola and Francis) on this team that I think will definetly help get them past the first round. I also think that T-Mac is going to explode and have an MVP type season if healthy.

10. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Rockets have not proven anything...so who care what the experts are predicting...all i am caring is for the Rockets to shut them up!! Like Yao said, let's stopped the talking and predicting and let's just play!!

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Jon Barry using reverse psychology or he's got the case of former Rox shows no love ala Kenny Smith, Charles Barkley.

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Jon Barry is still pissed off that Rockets let Gundy go.

Again, as you said, last couple of years Jon had really good expectations for us and we all know how that went. So it might turn out to be good anyways...

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Predicting regular season success is one thing. But in the playoffs, it's always a crapshoot. When you're a very good team, and you're facing very good teams, there's always a good chance you'll lose.

In conclusion, playoff predictions, before the season even starts, mean virtually nothing.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Honestly you could not have designed a predictions page to please me more. Oh no, the "experts" who are always wrong picked us to do worse than last year? Except for Professor Hollinger, as Marc Stein condescendingly dubbed him, who just so happens to be smartest person in that complex? No, Schwab, memorizing the entire sports encyclopedia doesn't make you smart, or any less of a loser...

Take it as a compliment people. We're right where we want to be.

15. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Adande's comment is ridiculous - while it's nice to have players with playoff experience, it was hardly the Rockets' most pressing need, which was actually players who could create shots for themselves (and a coach who'd know how to use them).

Anthony apparently hasn't bothered to pay attention to the preseason (Anthony not paying attention, there's a shock) because otherwise he'd know Bonzi's in shape.

Most of them are just regurgitating the usual platitudes about sharing the ball, staying healthy, leadership, etc. and then throwing darts at a board to figure the standings. Hollinger might be too optimistic but at least he seems like he's basing his predictions on actual observations, which is refreshing.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm going with Rockets #1 in the West, but behind Dallas and San Antonio in the division. Your poll didn't have a slot for me, though. :( :p

17. awo86

awo86 Rookie

this poll is designed to predict the playoff seedings, but the final playoffs outcome.

18. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Just because its on ESPN doesn't mean its true. Jesus, people take analysis so critically today. Who cares? Do you even know what our record will be? Can you tell the future?

19. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

so what's the purpose of prediction?

except the last year champ, no other team should be judged based on last year achievement. before the season starts, all should always judge a team based on what is on the paper.

of course, the champ is different. we always say a champ is a champ unless you beat them.

20. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

if we play to our potential, stay healthy, we can win it all. i won't be even remotely surprised.

our starting 5 was arguably the best starting 5 last year. our bench and depth were one of the worst. now we changed that w/ james/bonzi/scola/francis, how can u argue that we don't have the best starting 5 and the best bench?

it's all about staying healthy, being focused and unselfish.

the reasons other analysts don't pick us is b/c our 2 stars and coach haven't won anything and we haven't proven anything.

so let's go prove something