1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Love Abortion: Implying Otherwise Accomplishes Nothing for Women's Rights

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Hightop, Mar 15, 2012.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you use every single treatment that is covered by your health insurance plan?

What you and Hightop are missing is that any health insurance that has a deductible operates as what Hightop describes, insurance to prevent someone from being financially ruined.

I have a $1,000 deductible so I don't use my health insurance that much, for most things like check ups I pay out of my pocket. If I need major surgery though my health insurance will pay for that.

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

In a way yes but it's like almost any aspect of politics, there is a large undecided or movable group that is still in play and, of course, anyone can still change their mind in either direction.

I find it funny that you guys, vlaurelio and Batman, are using the sensational language... not me. If you want to think of it that way, go ahead but that kind of pejorative doesn't really work for me.

As I said earlier, I thought abortion was wrong before my faith. Obsession with sin has never been a part of my faithview.

Murder is a legal term mostly. Is abortion taking a human life? Most certainly but I prefer to leave it with that simple describer for the very reasons that you are saying I don't hold dear or consider in the least.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

So you have no co-pays and no network? Traditional Indemnity? That's your choice, doesn't change anything. Those are the same price if not more expensive in my personal experience. You may be different with an individual plan. My guess is you also have a drug plan without a $1K deductible.

4. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

If you hadn't been such a staunch supporter of the Iraq war then I might be more inclined to find your position credible.

You guys make it hard to have a decent debate based on logic. Truthiness isn't logic.

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I have a network but no co-pays also my drug plan has a high deductible. Anyway my car insurance also has a network that gets me discounts when getting repairs

Anyway unless you actually use every thing that is covered in your health insurance your health insurance as insurance.

6. giddyup

War is one thing, medicine another. Not sure how one affects the other. They are stand alone issues.

What's illogical is not to see or admit that conveniently defining life as the moment of birth for political purposes is wrong.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

no, i didn't miss the point. you can hold that view you just espoused (which I do) and still not embrace the procedure of abortion with "love."

8. Steve_Francis_rules

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I have a friend who recently found out she has MS. She switched insurance plans to one with no cap on prescription drug benefits. Now she will be paying a few thousand dollars out of pocket every year for the foreseeable future and getting $30k+ worth of prescription drugs.

How is that "insurance" just because she's not using every single item covered by the plan?

CaseyH is absolutely right about this. Most people do not use health insurance as true insurance. I personally don't have a problem with that, but it's definitely misnamed.

9. Steve_Francis_rules

I feel the same way about abortion as giddyup. I was completely against the war in Iraq. I'm also generally a liberal person. I don't stop caring about the child once it's born. I'm completely in favor of suitable gay couples being allowed to adopt.

So how are you going to discredit my position? Possibly by claiming (as another poster did earlier in the thread) that the only reason a person like me could possibly be against abortion then is that I hate women.

1 person likes this.
  10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Glad to know where you draw the line of where you find killing people acceptable.

The Iraq war was optional. They didn't attack us.
    Abortion is optional.

For you, some forms of killing people is ok and others are not.

Let's be clear, you supported the death of innocent people that are born but you do not support the "death" of the unborn.

This is why it's hard to have any sort of honest discussion with you. Your fundamental position is flawed.

11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

what a slut!

1 person likes this.
  12. giddyup

It is you who equates one woman's single decision to abort a child to a world political struggle and you blame me for undercutting the discussion? :eek:

13. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

He's right.

As I've pointed out to you before (giving you multiple conniptions), you are not pro-life; you are only anti-abortion.

In virtually every other case, you are for government sanctioned killing.

As I've said to you before (causing multiple conniptions), you are pro-death penalty and pro-war. Not to mention you are an unapologetic eater of animal corpses.

I am pro-choice and I am way more pro-life than you are.

14. giddyup

Do you not recognize that carrots grow and reproduce, too?

Hate to report but I've not had a conniption in my life.

That does it; I'm getting the BBQ tonight! I wouldn't want to waste these practical canine teeth that the Creator of the Universe has outfitted me with. You know some scientists way back when named them after dogs like Lassie and Tramp who eat meat also. I hope that you never have petted a dog... those kilers!

I can't get the image of you reading by lamplight with a kitty-cat on your lap... ever found a half-eaten field mouse by your cat's lair? Not pleasant. That's why I grocery shop!

#114 giddyup, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  15. cml750

cml750 Member

Abortion is murder plain and simple. I honestly do not see how ANYONE could think differently although I know they do. I just do not understand their thinking.

16. giddyup

http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/greekmedicine/f/HippocraticOath.htm

The dictum first do no harm doesn't exactly come from the Hippocratic Oath, but it does come from the Hippocratic Corpus, at least in esssence. A related section from the Hippocratic Oath has been translated as:

"I will follow that system of regimen which, according to my ability and judgment, I consider for the benefit of my patients, and abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous. I will give no deadly medicine to any one if asked, nor suggest any such counsel; and in like manner I will not give to a woman a pessary to produce abortion. With purity and with holiness I will pass my life and practice my Art. I will not cut persons laboring under the stone, but will leave this to be done by men who are practitioners of this work. Into whatever houses I enter, I will go into them for the benefit of the sick, and will abstain from every voluntary act of mischief and corruption; and, further from the seduction of females or males, of freemen and slaves."

17. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I have two cats and a dog, giddyup. And I happily feed them meat because they need it to survive. I don't eat it because I don't need it to survive and I deplore unnecessary killing. You don't. You support war and the death penalty and enjoy BBQ and then call yourself pro-life.

You're a hypocrite.

And, even if he doesn't share my views on vegetarianism, the Pope would tell you that you commit sins every bit as bad as or worse than abortion when you support the needless deaths of other human beings.

Don't ever say you're "pro-life" again. You aren't. In most cases, given the choice, you're pro-death.

18. giddyup

Your little ploy to co-opt the pro-Life label is cute but doomed to fail because, as usual, your view isn't even in the running for mainstream.

Pro-Life and Pro-Choice are categorically terms dedicated to the discussion of abortion. You can play with them all you want and you can substitute pro-Death or anti-Abortion or anti-Choice or any other alternatives that you like but we are not forced to play along with your attempt to distract.

Of course "needless" as in needless deaths is totally subjective.

So your judgementalism on meat-eating is based on necessity? Are you so harsh on clothes-wearing or transportation-using or theatre-going.... none of which are necessary for survival.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Because under the argument presented is paying for insurance that has birth control is exactly the same as paying for birth control. Just because a plan covers birth control doesn't mean that everyone with that plan will use the birth control or use their insurance to pay for it.

As for your friend's situation the new health care law mandates that insurers cannot drop someone with a preexisting condition that is like me insuring a house that I and the insurance company knew had poor wiring.

Yes I agree health insurance is somewhat different than other types of insurance in that it is one that you will likely use a lot more but the basic purpose of any insurance is that you will not be financially ruined for something that is out of the normal. In the situation of most healthy individuals health insurance is not something that is regularly used. This is especially true under the US system where many people have high deductible plans.

#119 rocketsjudoka, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  20. TL

TL Contributing Member

I'm for condoms. I'm for sex Ed. I'm for the pill. I appreciate and respect people ( of all kinds) with the love and generosity to adopt.

But it still hurts my heart to hear about abortions. I feel that an innocent human is being killed because of a mistake/ bad decision by two grown adults. That makes me pro life.